Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Road

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
shamrockdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default The Road

Just watched this movie and all I can say is that I am now considering stockpiling food, weapons, ammo, water and all the kit needed to survive without eating people. Cormac McCartneys book and now the movie will scare the bejesus outta you.

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I read the book, the movie dissapeared from theaters within a week. I am planning to rent it soon. I've been almost afraid to watch the movie. I can't imagine how bleak the movie would have to look to capture the hopelessness of the book.

It definitely ain't Mad Max....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3181 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I can't imagine how bleak the movie would have to look to capture the hopelessness of the book.
My thoughts exactly. I read the book in almost one sitting. Bleak and hopeless are exactly the right words. Loved the book, but I planned to skip the movie. Too depressing.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm here to tell you they capture the bleakness and hopelessness of the book to the tee.

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockdoc View Post
I'm here to tell you they capture the bleakness and hopelessness of the book to the tee.
I've seen a few of the clips on youtube. I think you're right. I'm honestly afraid to watch it alone. I know my girlfriend won't watch it. I know if I watch it alone, I'll have freaky a$$ed nightmares.

We need a group view, where there is plenty of brew present, and enough wisecracks to keep it light.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want more scary, read the book World War Z.

It's a book about the Zombie outbreak -- cheesy as it may sound, the books goes through how governments approach, deal, and cover the outbreak. it is spooky how much you can actually see governments covering up as much as they do.

~Seth

Accidentally Good Brewing
Bloomington, IL

Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethful View Post
If you want more scary, read the book World War Z.

It's a book about the Zombie outbreak -- cheesy as it may sound, the books goes through how governments approach, deal, and cover the outbreak. it is spooky how much you can actually see governments covering up as much as they do.
Meh, I love world war z, and don't find it scary at all. I think if you've grown up on Zombie Kitsch Movies, it's hard to totally get freaked out. Plus it reads pretty dispassionatley in a lot of places, like a Studs Terkle book, or a book of WWII recollections. It's a great book, very well written. But it's still about Zombies.

The Road novel, is like a Hitchcock movie. It's really sparse, and tense. I was constantly on edge from page to page, just the the father in it. Always excepting something terrible to happen.

And it lingers long after you finish the book.

BTW, if you liked WWZ, this website is great. http://www.talesofworldwarz.com/

It's a contest website, where folks upload stories, and they award prizes every few months. There are some well written and scary stories in it. Many better I think that those in Brook's book.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
bosunbrew
Recipes 

The Road might be the most depressing book I've ever read. As a dad with a young son, I really identified with the characters. It just got into my head. I might watch the movie, but it will be hard to handle. Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author of late, though. It's not easy finding the time to read a novel, but when I can, I read one of his novels.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosunbrew View Post
The Road might be the most depressing book I've ever read. As a dad with a young son, I really identified with the characters. It just got into my head. I might watch the movie, but it will be hard to handle. Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author of late, though. It's not easy finding the time to read a novel, but when I can, I read one of his novels.
That's why I think we need a group view, where there's a bunch of people. It would help break the intensity of the story.

What other McCarthy novels can you recommend?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3181 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What other McCarthy novels can you recommend?
I've had Blood Meridian sitting on my nightstand for a year. I've read the first 20 pages a few times and it sounds pretty good

Quick Reply