Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Restaurant Tragedy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
PDawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Restaurant Tragedy

Anyone else ever have one? I am not talking about a hair in your food at Waffle house. I am talking about you just wanted to curl up in a ball on the floor and weep openly.

I feel I can talk about this now it’s been 7 months.

Prior to my latest Government sponsored trip, my wife and I decided to go out for a really good meal that we didn’t have to cook.

We chose our local Japanese Steakhouse. We eat in the Sushi Bar at this establishment several times a month because they have really good Sushi.

On the night in question however we decided to eat in the main dining room.
My wife and I are shown to this table with 10 other people and place our orders. Having heard the rave reviews I decided to pay the $30.00 for a Kobe Beef steak (Not something i can often afford to do). All is happy. I have a beer and I am watching this Cook throw peoples food in the air. No problems. He pulls out my steak, it’s marvelous, well marbled, I think one of the prettier cuts of meat I have ever seen. The cook throws the meat on the flattop and my mouth starts watering. This is where it all went very bad. He reaches over and grabs a bottle of Soy Sauce and in slow motion dumps 4 gallons of soy sauce over my steak. Inside my head I am screaming, again in slow motion, NOOOOOOOOO. At this point I feel like that Peanut Puppet of Jeff Dunham’s. I look at the steak, look at the cook, look at the steak, look at the cook. I finally break the trance. I look over at my wife and she is giving me the same pitiful look she would give me if my best Hound dog had died.
My wife reaches over, tugs on the Waitresses sleeve and very calmly says, “He’s going to need another beer”. Waitress says Ma’am he still has most of his beer. My wife says go get him another one, when you get back he’ll be done with that one.
The Steak was beautiful, cooked to perfection, and it tasted exactly like a salt lick.

Ahhh, the one that got away.

Anyone else want to cleanse themselves of their experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
The Pale Horse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that's a shame, almost made me weep, kobe beef shouldn't need much of anything but maybe some salt and pepper

should have stuck with the Nigiri

Primary: Belgian Golden, English Mild, Watermelon Wheat
Oak Barrel: Old Ale II
Kegged: Coconut Porter, Old English Ale (Oak Barrel)
Bottled: German Pilsner Lager

www.palehorsebrewery.com

Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I tend to avoid places where your dinner is combined with (for better or for worse) any form of entertainment. Any chef that performs such an atrocity to Kobe beef in the name of "entertaining their crowd" deserves to have his face dragged across the burner top he just committed murder upon. There's a reason Kobe cattle are hand massaged and fed as much as they want, and there's a reason you paid $30 for a piece of dead cow. Don't F with perfection.

Edit: with that said, my parents once forced me to go with them to Medieval Times during a childhood trip to LA. (Medieval Times is a joust/"royal feast" type event held nightly.) Even at age 12, I thought it was complete and utter crap.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Every time I go to a Japanese steak house, I'm waiting for Leslie Nielsen to bust in. It just seems too perfect not to happen.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiebrewer View Post
every time i go to a japanese steak house, i'm waiting for leslie nielsen to bust in. It just seems too perfect not to happen.
lol!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1637 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 832

Why would they do that? I hate ordering steak and the wait person ask "Did you want anything to mess up the taste of meat? Cheese for instance? Maybe some Ketchup? You know we got tons of stuff to mess that steak up real good for you."

My Instagram
boomermjc Likes This 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

PDawg,

First of all thank you for your service, secondly I know exactly how you feel. I had a very similar experience, I rarely get beef @ any restaurant, I tend to order seafood the majority of the time. I like beef cooked over hardwood or hardwood charcoal. So I general forgo the beef and any potential disappointment. That being said this is one of the reasons.

A number of years ago a group of my wife's coworkers talked us into dinner at a Japanese steakhouse, my wife, son and I are all rather adventurous when it comes to food. I should have stuck with my gut, but I ordered the filet and it was one of the most beautiful 2 inch thick pieces of beef I had seen to that point of my life. Then the performance artist /chef asked me' "how would you like your steak". "Medium rare", I responded. It was at this point that things went awry.

Filet hits the grill with a mouth watering sizzle, a minute or so later he flips it, a little early in my opinion. After another minute I understand why. He then grabs his knife and fork and proceeds to butterfly my beautiful piece of meat. I was speechless, but he was not done. He continued to turn this gorgeous piece of beef into little cubes of over cooked, over seasoned beef (soy, ginger and msg). When he was done the beautiful cut of meat had be reduced to what I can only describe as "Fancy Feast" it looked like a steaming pile of process caned cat food. Sorry for the visual.

Never again!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 369

nothin' sets off the flavor ufa good steak like sum ketchup

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
PDawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess thats how they make them. But it sure hurt my feelings. That was a really nice steak.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

You wouldn't go to a steakhouse and ask for "orange beef," would you?

I'd rather have a well-cooked piece of steak, too, but hibachi-grill places are a lot of fun and I enjoy the food. I just know that it's going to be cut up, maybe butterflied, and probably loaded with sauce and other seasonings. Just how it is.

Different food = different culture. It's OK. It's kind of nice that things from different places in the world are, you know, a little different.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply