Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Relocation recommendations
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The "Ville"
Posts: 1,921
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Louisville has won several magazine type awards lately as a city with big city conveniences and small town traffic, crime, cost of living etc. There is a great local music scene as well.

I seriously would recommend it. My parents lived in Raliegh for 5 years or so and ended up mobving back here.

The LHBS is manned by true "just off the boat" germans lol.

__________________
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout
cheezydemon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,581
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I myself would sell all of my brewery equipment, as it holds its value quite well. I could easily list most of my stuff on CL or other sites and get about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it, provided I was willing to put up with the hassle of dealing with people over the internet. Once I get to my new location I would buy all new equipment that matches as opposed to the current mishmash of stuff I have.

FYI I have 5 hydrometers, do I need 5 hydrometers, no I don't I also have 2 scales and 4 different thermometers. 2 bottle capers and a 3 bottling buckets. I never bottle that much I keg now and it seems like a waste that they just sit there. I have been contemplating selling my old 20 foot chiller for scrap, as it is practically useless to anyone that doesn't brew small extract batches. I also have cases and cases and cases of empty bottles I never use any more probably 15 or 20 cases of bottles of all different sizes. If I moved them with me they would probably end up getting recycled at some point, so I may as well sell them or give them away to another brewer.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, but if I did I would sell or give away almost all of my brewery stuff there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to have it, and it would give me an opportunity to make or get some great new stuff.

__________________

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/
Donasay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,331
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
I myself would sell all of my brewery equipment, as it holds its value quite well. I could easily list most of my stuff on CL or other sites and get about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it, provided I was willing to put up with the hassle of dealing with people over the internet. Once I get to my new location I would buy all new equipment that matches as opposed to the current mishmash of stuff I have.

FYI I have 5 hydrometers, do I need 5 hydrometers, no I don't I also have 2 scales and 4 different thermometers. 2 bottle capers and a 3 bottling buckets. I never bottle that much I keg now and it seems like a waste that they just sit there. I have been contemplating selling my old 20 foot chiller for scrap, as it is practically useless to anyone that doesn't brew small extract batches. I also have cases and cases and cases of empty bottles I never use any more probably 15 or 20 cases of bottles of all different sizes. If I moved them with me they would probably end up getting recycled at some point, so I may as well sell them or give them away to another brewer.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, but if I did I would sell or give away almost all of my brewery stuff there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to have it, and it would give me an opportunity to make or get some great new stuff.
I don't think I'll get equipment this cheaply again...
__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count
Soulive is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,399
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The bird is correct, My partner and I traveled around North America for almost three months before we decided on a place to raise a family.

  • Set a goal- Make a drop dead date for your move.
  • Research several locations- Choose at least three georgaphic regions you would consider living
  • Network with remotely located friends and Family- Reach out to them, and get their feedback on where and why they live where they do.
  • Visit the potential relocation area- Visit the area's you'd like to live. Remember them friends you networked with? Consider them key assests when travelling.
  • Look for employment- Would you be happy delivering pizza until you found the right job?
  • Make yer Move.

PM me if you want some additional relocation resources, and information.
__________________
Glibbidy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,331
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
The bird is correct, My partner and I traveled around North America for almost three months before we decided on a place to raise a family.
  • Set a goal- Make a drop dead date for your move.
  • Research several locations- Choose at least three georgaphic regions you would consider living
  • Network with remotely located friends and Family- Reach out to them, and get their feedback on where and why they live where they do.
  • Visit the potential relocation area- Visit the area's you'd like to live. Remember them friends you networked with? Consider them key assests when travelling.
  • Look for employment- Would you be happy delivering pizza until you found the right job?
  • Make yer Move.

PM me if you want some additional relocation resources, and information.
Thanks man. Luckily the job aspect isnt an issue for me. SWMBO would likely line something up before we got there. I will probably be in touch further down the road. Cheers...
__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count
Soulive is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesex,NJ
Posts: 815
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I would try to land a job first. It might be easier than going to a place without one. Then again... that is how I ended up in NJ. Heh.

__________________
** Double Batch Sparge Calculator And Directions
njnear76 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fingers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 4,212
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
The things we're looking for would be friendly people, lower cost of living, good schools, safe areas, decent job market, good weather, good amount of recreation. We like nice restaurants, outdoors activities, some cultural activities, etc.
Sounds like you need to come to Canada. Well, with one notable exception. It tends to get a little nippy in many areas in the winter. That's when we all huddle around the fireplace and make beer and babies! Come on up!
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Fingers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,331
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Sounds like you need to come to Canada. Well, with one notable exception. It tends to get a little nippy in many areas in the winter. That's when we all huddle around the fireplace and make beer and babies! Come on up!
Making beer and babies rules! I'm not opposed to colder weather, but SWMBO is...
__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count
Soulive is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesex,NJ
Posts: 815
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Sounds like you need to come to Canada. Well, with one notable exception. It tends to get a little nippy in many areas in the winter. That's when we all huddle around the fireplace and make beer and babies! Come on up!
I love Canada. It's a great country. I probably would have to live in Toronto though. There's not too many computer engineering gigs in the great white north and the western part is too far away from family and friends.
__________________
** Double Batch Sparge Calculator And Directions
njnear76 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #20
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HenryHill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Perry, MI
Posts: 3,299
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

NC rocks; you will be happy provided you settle in the area that contains all your needs. Make a list.

Geography is quite varied; mountain, foothills, flatland and seashore, it may pay to keep this in mind as well. However close access to income bearing resources is paramount.

Getting out off a current house, and into a new job can be a logistical nightmare. A friend had a heck of a time getting out of an upper mid-west house and into the Austin, TX lakes area-house wouldn't sell, but they preservered and are happy as all hell now.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Never mock another man's brewery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD
HenryHill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPA kit recommendations Hopsie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-13-2009 04:19 AM
Rye IPA recommendations? andreiz Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-30-2008 09:20 PM
Relocation to Denver area ... job questions riored4v General Chit Chat 13 06-12-2008 05:32 PM
Hop recommendations jtvinny Hops Growing 8 03-26-2008 04:13 PM
Relocation. Orfy General Chit Chat 1 04-18-2007 09:13 PM