Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Relocation recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Relocation recommendations

We're looking to possibly relocate and we're wondering the best way to go about it. We're taking our time and plan on researching heavily. Another thing we're considering is renting something for a few months in the area we're looking at. Has anybody else gone through this?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What, NJ isn't good enough for you anymore ;-)

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
What, NJ isn't good enough for you anymore ;-)
I wouldn't put it that way. Just not worth the money

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are not sure where you want to go or not sure what part of town you want to live in I would recommend putting your stuff in storage and looking for a furnished place to rent. Put your furniture in storage and it will be easier for you to change location a few times while looking for the perfect location.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I know that Glibbidy and his wife basically toured the country before decided that they really DID want to settle in Bratt. That's obviously not something that everyone can do.

What are you guys looking for in your new location? I think that would be the first step - define what's more important to you - job opportunities, weather, for the wife and I being in a socially-liberal community is important, proximity to good beer, other cultural things, desiring an urban versus rural versus suburban lifestyle, cost of living... what are the attributes that are most important to you?

We've actually talked a wee bit; if we were to move anywhere in the country(not likely, since both of our families are in the northeast), it would probably be in the PNW somewhere. Just seems like a good match for what we're looking for - although we can find most of what's important to us where we're at, so we're not likely to be taking off anytime soon.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

My only suggestion about storage is you make sure what you put in there you want! I work at a storage place and it's REDICULOUS the crap put in there and pay $100+ a month for.

Just know what you're putting in there and how much it's worth to you.

Oh and move to Texas!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I know that Glibbidy and his wife basically toured the country before decided that they really DID want to settle in Bratt. That's obviously not something that everyone can do.

What are you guys looking for in your new location? I think that would be the first step - define what's more important to you - job opportunities, weather, for the wife and I being in a socially-liberal community is important, proximity to good beer, other cultural things, desiring an urban versus rural versus suburban lifestyle, cost of living... what are the attributes that are most important to you?

We've actually talked a wee bit; if we were to move anywhere in the country(not likely, since both of our families are in the northeast), it would probably be in the PNW somewhere. Just seems like a good match for what we're looking for - although we can find most of what's important to us where we're at, so we're not likely to be taking off anytime soon.
We're looking currently in the Raleigh, NC area. The things we're looking for would be friendly people, lower cost of living, good schools, safe areas, decent job market, good weather, good amount of recreation. We like nice restaurants, outdoors activities, some cultural activities, etc. I am also concerned with the beer scene, but SWMBOs not. Another important thing to us is a downtown area. We like the sense of community we currently have when we're downtown...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've relocated three times - two cross-country moves and one within-state move.

Renting an apartment for a year or so in your new town before you buy might be a good idea or not, it really depends on you. I mean, if you are decided that you definately want to move to Chapel Hill (for example), then go ahead and buy because CH isn't that big and you can find something pretty quick. On the other hand, if you have not decided where you want to live yet, but you know it will be the greater Raleigh/Durham area, then yeah, rent for a while.

Researching the area ahead of time is a good idea, but its no substitute for actually being there. You will probably be dissappointed by some things in your new town and pleasantly surprised by other things that you had no idea about before you moved. You need to be honest with yourself about why you are leaving NJ and what you want to have in your new location. No place will be perfect, so you'll have to decide on what you are willing to compromise and what you won't. And remember - no matter where you go, there you are.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
I've relocated three times - two cross-country moves and one within-state move.

Renting an apartment for a year or so in your new town before you buy might be a good idea or not, it really depends on you. I mean, if you are decided that you definately want to move to Chapel Hill (for example), then go ahead and buy because CH isn't that big and you can find something pretty quick. On the other hand, if you have not decided where you want to live yet, but you know it will be the greater Raleigh/Durham area, then yeah, rent for a while.

Researching the area ahead of time is a good idea, but its no substitute for actually being there. You will probably be dissappointed by some things in your new town and pleasantly surprised by other things that you had no idea about before you moved. You need to be honest with yourself about why you are leaving NJ and what you want to have in your new location. No place will be perfect, so you'll have to decide on what you are willing to compromise and what you won't. And remember - no matter where you go, there you are.
Yeah see we're not set on CH right now. We're also considering Cary, Raleigh, Carrboro, and we're open to other towns in the area. So we figured renting for some time will mean; we're not locked into anything, we can take our time looking, and when we go to buy we won't have anything to sell. We'll get a much better idea when we come down in April. Hope to see you guys then...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I get to travel quite a bit for business but I can honestly say that I can't ever really get the feel for what it would be like to live anywhere. I must not have the ramblin gene or something. Moving to a new state seems scary to me.

The other issue is that most of the places I travel to are more urban than where I'd like but it's not a fair comparison. I wouldn't live in the urban centers in my own state either.

The biggest issue I think is finding a job that will surpass your current income to cost of living ratio. In other words, it wouldn't make all that much sense taking a 50% pay cut to live in a house that costs you 50% less per month. It's a break even deal unless there some other redeeming qualities of the new location.

The people I know who are really making out are the ones who set themselves up in a career in a high income area and then negotiated the ability to work remotely full time. A few of my peers with more years of service have done this. They basically took early retirement and moved to FL, NC, or AL and paid for an equivelent house in cash just with the equity they pulled out of their NJ house. The gravy is continuing to earn NJ wages. Not easy.

I do believe I'll move out of state in the next ten years but I'll have that much more equity in my overpriced house by then.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 02-25-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply