Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Recurve Bows

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #41
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know what it is but shooting a traditional bow is just a blast.

I would say it is because it is fun, simple, effective and age old to boot. Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #42
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Plus a nice longbow is a think of beauty!

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #43
Recipes 

Yes they are a thing of beauty. I will try to take some decent pics of some bows I have finished and some in progress as well. I was only going to build one but...... I have given away 11 if my memory is right and only sold a few. I get attached to them and don't want to get rid of them when finished. Same thing with my flint knapping some of them just have something that makes you have to keep it. Mike

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #44
Recipes 

Here is an eight point shot with sinew back osage bow I built. Used a home made arrow with a kay county flint tip.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #45
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3406 Times on 3137 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I've been on eBay and traditional archery buy and sell sites for a week hoping to find a non TD. After talking myself into a TD because it makes the most sense, I went to Bass Pro and Cabelas and molested some non TDs. Falling for the romanticism of those.

I see people buying and shooting bows from as far back as the 60s and even some from the 50s. Given a bow is in good shape, how much does flat out age effect it?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #46
Recipes 

I would expect a good osage bow to last a couple of lifetimes if taken care of. Which by the way don't take much. Don't keep it strung up all the time, only when shooting or hunting. Other than stringing backwards or dry fire or torquing a limb while stringing or maybe breaking a string there just is not that much to go wrong. One more thing is letting someone else shoot your bow. Be sure they do not over draw it or that can spell splinters or loud snaps. Both of which do not sound good. Mike

Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #47
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Please point me to a reputable online version of the DIY osage bow process. I've already googled too many bows made from coat hangers by kids on youtube.... I'm curious to see the process if not try it myself. N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #48
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

That depends. A selfwood bow, meaning one that is made from a single piece of wood is vulnerable to all kinds of mistreatment. Some woods will take bending and releasing more times than others.

Most bows you buy today have a wooden core and are structurally covered in something called bowtough which is a material similar to fiberglass. If those are treated properly they should last for a very very long time.

When you see a bow from the sixties or seventies, there were selfwood bows, fiberglass bows, and some made like today's bows except they had fiberglass over the wood core. Fiberglass does not take repeated shock as well as modern materials. I would look at any old bow with fiberglass carefully and check for cracking. I would also stick to 50 pounds or less on an old bow just for safety.

Another thing to remember is that an older bow or a newer selfwood bow needs to have one of the older materials for its string.
The newer stuff, someone else will help me out on what it's called, will put too much energy into the limbs and that can result in catastrophic failure.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #49
Recipes 

Osage will take about anything you throw at it. It is also one of the springiest woods there is. I just made a little bush bow that pulls 55 at twenty inchs. The bow is very short just over 40 inchs long. It rode in the back of my pickup for ten years roughed out just needing tillered and nocks cut. I don't think I will ever ever think about a finish. It don't need it. It is a cool little spitter for shooting out of small portable blinds. If you look up OJAM there are several small pieces of footage showing the different steps. I would go to the library and get the Jim Hamm book called Bows and Arrows Of Native Americans. An excellent site to look into would be Paleo Planet. They have several bow tutorials there. Mike

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #50
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3406 Times on 3137 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
That depends. A selfwood bow, meaning one that is made from a single piece of wood is vulnerable to all kinds of mistreatment. Some woods will take bending and releasing more times than others.

Most bows you buy today have a wooden core and are structurally covered in something called bowtough which is a material similar to fiberglass. If those are treated properly they should last for a very very long time.

When you see a bow from the sixties or seventies, there were selfwood bows, fiberglass bows, and some made like today's bows except they had fiberglass over the wood core. Fiberglass does not take repeated shock as well as modern materials. I would look at any old bow with fiberglass carefully and check for cracking. I would also stick to 50 pounds or less on an old bow just for safety.

Another thing to remember is that an older bow or a newer selfwood bow needs to have one of the older materials for its string.
The newer stuff, someone else will help me out on what it's called, will put too much energy into the limbs and that can result in catastrophic failure.
That's fast flight string, if I've read right. The older bows take new strings made of dacron.

I've also read about using phenolic on the tips to make old bows fast flight compatible. Not sure if that's correct info though.

Quick Reply