Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > recommendations for "entry level" gas grills...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

That's sexy as hell, but way too little.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I should say, too, that $200 isn't a "firm" budget - but if I'm going much above that, I need to be able to convince myself that it's going to be worth it in the end.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 06-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
WeHeavy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a charcoal guy, but 8 years ago I won an elcheapo Fiesta gas grill that has held up well. The only thing I do is replace the burner about every 3 years with a generic one from Wally World.

I would recomend if your going to spend the bucks on a grill you'll also want to spend the bucks on a good cover, they make a big diffrence in how long the grill will last. Also buy yourself some bunjee cords to hold the cover down. I've lost 2 covers to high winds.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Liquidicem
I love lamp!

Recipes 

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a new grill for myself as a father's day gift. The one thing that I'm certain I am looking for is a model with at least 3 burners that run front to back. I've had a few grills over the years with 2 burners that run side to side and never really liked that setup. You seem to be able to get a lot better temperature control with a 3 or 4 burner setup.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did a bunch of research and bought a fairly expensive one($900, Ducane from Home Depot) last summer that I intend to use for a long time. It's stainless and I keep it covered at all times when not using it - it still looks brand new(on the outside!). One item I would mention is that I priced grills at both specialty outdoor shops(like where they sell only this sort of stuff) and at Home Depot, Costco, etc. The big box stores were MUCH cheaper than the specialty shops on all of the products I looked at.

If you're willing to say, double that budget you can get one that will last. Most of the reliable manufacturers basically sell the same feature set at each price point. Weber, Vermont Castings, Ducane, Viking, etc. For $500 you can get a pretty solid one. I think at the $200 price point they are going to be either smaller, or cheaply built.

Dis mines:
http://www.ducane.com/ducane/grills/...d=8&mid=33#TOP

Reason: linky no worky

Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am yet to be disappointed by a Weber grill.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Seems like a lot of love for Weber. Anyone have this, the "Weber Spirit® E-210™ LP Gas Grill"? $300, a bit higher than the initial target; worth a premium to get a Weber, or better to go cheap and plan on REALLY upgrading in a couple years?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Seems like a lot of love for Weber. Anyone have this, the "Weber Spirit® E-210™ LP Gas Grill"? $300, a bit higher than the initial target; worth a premium to get a Weber, or better to go cheap and plan on REALLY upgrading in a couple years?

That's a nice grill and the only thing wrong is only 2 burners. The more burners the more options you have(direct vs. indirect heat). You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with that one , but I would start cheap and see if you would use it 3 times a week or think about using it 3 times a week . then upgrade accordingly

Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I saw that it was only two burners... is that the real issue with two burners, pretty much having to use direct heat?

Here's a dumb question to show my ignorance with propane grills (I've only used charcoal); I can get one of those little metal smoker boxed and fill it with wood chips if I want to impart a little smoke character, right? If this grill is going to be make it tough to cook with indirect heat, would that impact my ability to do that?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #20
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had the low end 3 burner Weber for ten years. Ive replaced the Grate, the Flavorizer Bars, and The Ignition sparker thing.

But the grill body and frame are all still great. It has been exposed to the elements the whole time.

Al

Magic Bus Brewery

Quick Reply