Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Recomendations for a cigar n00b?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia
Wow, that's one rare cigar. The real question, though, is have you, or could you smoke it?

I'm not a fan of JR, mostly because of too much of the stuff that I have read that Lew wrote (half owner of JR), and because they push Altadis cigars so hard (other half owner of JR).
Not long after I got it! It was wonderful. Not trying to be all manly or anything, but my nicotine tolerance with cigars is pretty high. I love Opus X and smoke them as much as I can get my hands on them (paying non-gouging prices of course). I was also one of the few lucky recipients of the Arturo Fuente AF 13. But they're long gone! I like strong cigars, but my one pet pieve is that they still remain smooth and full of flavour. Opus meets that criterion to a T for me (OK, so some years are better than others). Padron Anniversarios are great too... not as strong, but it's not all about strength.

I hear you about JR. I like them and don't like them (love and hate are too strong). I think Lew is a decent guy overall though (from what I've heard). He is a business man and sometimes has to do what's in his business' best interest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine
Stay away from Macanudo unless you like smoking air . A great starter cigar would be Fuente's Chateau in Natural or Fuente's 858 in Natural.

Holts is a great retailer and online store. JR Cigars is another decent retailer, but be careful with "Blow Out Specials"... there blowing them out for a reason.
Now I was going to suggest a Macanudo, simply because they are quite mild and a good choice for somebody just starting out. They are also of the few high quality cigars that are very easy to find. I've seen sidewalk newsstands that carry Macanudos!

I agree about the Fuente Chateau. And I'm a big fan of JR Cigars, but I always know what I'm looking for and a newbie probably wouldn't know what to order.

Robustos are my favorite size...fat enough to smoke cool & even, but short enough that lighting one isn't a three hour commitment! I frequently enjoy a Jose Marti robusto while brewing.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

cusano makes a wonderful cigar, altho my personal favorite it the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992...

BTW, i saw someone posted this, and ALL CIGAR LOVERS MUST GO HERE:

WWW.CIGARBID.COM

by far the best site to save a lot of $$ and it's always fun bidding on items :thumbsup:

I've been smoking now for 4 years and enjoy a wide variety of cigars... 5 vegas (pronounced cinco vegas), romeo y juileta, Rock Patel... I suggest finding a variety sampler and go for it! most sites have samplers according to flavor; mild, strong, smooth, etc.

check out www.cigarbid.com (just posting about it makes me wanna head over there and get a few things, www.cigar.com has high prices, but the weekly newsletters they email out will bring you up quick on the cigar world.

good luck and happy smoking!

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Last edited by brauhaus; 01-25-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like a good strong cigar, too, but I'll take an Anejo over an Opus any day. Less popular, so it's easier to find and usually cheaper.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #15
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
I like a good strong cigar, too, but I'll take an Anejo over an Opus any day. Less popular, so it's easier to find and usually cheaper.
Anejos are great too. They have some of the same tobaccos that are in Opus, but have a very different flavor that I find more spicy than smooth... still good though. I keep my eye out for them too. I'm way past all the hype on Opus. I really do love them. Especially the Petit Lancero, No 4, No. 5, and xXx. I think all the years of research and trial and error Carlito put into them paid off... for him and for us! But there are plenty other good ones out there. I have one more Cuban RyJ Churchill in my humi waiting to be smoked. But I also have a 6 year old Opus xXx... it's going to have to be a real special occasion to smoke that!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:55 AM   #16
Wort*hog

Recipes 

I cant help but inhale. Pipe, cigar it dont matter. I inhale. That being said I may miss some of the subtleties of a fine cigar. I have laid out some good money for cigars and really cant tell much difference between a $1.30 cigar and a $10 one.I Buy bundles of the hand rolled Nicaraguan robustos for a quick smoke and Churchill's for when I have a little more time. A little Irish whiskey straight up and I'm a happy camper.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #17
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the best piece of advice ever given to me was to visit a cigar shop, lucky for me I have 2 nearby, and tell them you re new to the hobby...

most shops have a lounge to sit back and sample a few cigars, most shopkeeps will want your business so they'll make sure you're taken care of.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #18
capcrnch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a big fan of ACID cigars.
Admittedly, im not a huge, everyday smoker, but on weekends and while on the golf course, for sure..

The Acid's taste great and smoke really well to me.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #19
Guinness71

Recipes 

Cigarbid.com is a good site, I usally buy Torano Exodus 1959's for every day smokes - they are a nice mild good cigar. One of the best deals for me I've found on these is at http://www.cheaphumidors.com/ - They also send out a weekly email with tips on the basics to more advanced which are intersting.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Now I was going to suggest a Macanudo, simply because they are quite mild and a good choice for somebody just starting out.
Macanudo was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. I recommend having a couple in the humidor for an easy, casual smoke.

Another good, daily smoke is the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur series. The relatively inexpensive robustos are fantastic in my book.

Quote:
And personally, I'm not a fan of the Dominican Montecristo or Cohiba, but Romeo y Julieta makes a couple of nice ones.
Agreed on all counts. I've been nothing but disappointed in the Dominican knock-offs of both Cohiba and Montecristo. If you can get your hands on the Cuban variety (assuming you've taken a trip outside US borders), it's an entirely different story.

The domestically available Romeo y Julieta line aren't bad, though.

Quick Reply