The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Recipe request - brewing with DEET

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
noisy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recipe request - brewing with DEET

The friggen squitos are murder here. Will DEET impart any off-flavors to my beer? How much should I use 1 gallon or 2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I contacted the city about maybe spraying these little bastards. The city has been inundated with calls but they will not spray unless the mosquitoes can transmit West Nile disease. The little bastards have no problem giving it to us, does anyone know how I can give it to them.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It depends on what goal you are trying to acheive...If you are just wanting the buggers to die if they land in the beer then a gallon should be sufficient...IF you want the deet to ooze out your pores so you don't get bitten whilst drinking, then use 2 gallons...

Run the numbers through brewsmith to make sure it doesn't mess with your IBU's, that stuff is kinda bitter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am definitely looking for some oozing action, anything less will just make them stronger and meaner. Maybe if I take my water from here and use the DEET I'll win. I'll probably need to filter out the goose feathers.

Last edited by noisy123; 07-23-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123 View Post
I am definitely looking for some oozing action, anything less will just make them stronger and meaner. Maybe if I take my water from here and use the DEET I'll win. I'll probably need to filter out the goose feathers.
The place hads a gift shop?
Quote:
The pit is currently a tourist attraction, with an adjacent gift shop. Admission is charged to the viewing platform.
WTF do the sell there? "Mommy can I have this toxic waste in a jar?"

or...T-Shirts that read..."My friend visited Berkley Pit and all I got was a lousy t-shirt....I wore it for a day, and now I have cancer."

OMG, that place sounds vile.

Hellova water profile though...do you think the starsan's 5.2 ph will do anything for it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Wahitaminute....

Quote:
New fungal and bacterial species have been found to have adapted to the harsh conditions inside the pit. Intense competition for the limited resources caused these species to evolve the production of highly toxic compounds to improve survivability; natural products such as Berkeleydione, berkeleytrione [2] and Berkeley acid [3] have been isolated from these organisms which show selective activity against cancer cell lines.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Hellova water profile though...do you think the starsan's 5.2 ph will do anything for it?
I think the starsan may make the water a little less chewy, and that's probably a good thing depending on the profile you are trying to match. Don't know about the ph. I love it that they are finding new species of life in the pit. Just awesome.

The rumor was, a few years ago, that the water would soon be leeching into the water table in Butte. They said it would take around 5 years for that to happen. Its been about 15 years now. I haven't heard anything about the leeching but something seems a little funny about the town. Take this recent picture from my aunt Florence for example, she seems to have lost a little color in her cheeks.

Last edited by noisy123; 07-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The place hads a gift shop?

WTF do the sell there? "Mommy can I have this toxic waste in a jar?"

or...T-Shirts that read..."My friend visited Berkley Pit and all I got was a lousy t-shirt....I wore it for a day, and now I have cancer."

I've been to the pit and it's crappy gift shop. It used to be an open-pit copper mine, so the gift shop has lots of copper trinkets and such. It really is an enormous hole, and right next to town, it is an impressive sight. Taking a whiff from the observation deck (yes, there is one) is like walking into a metalsmith's shop--full of slaggy goodness. Really though, Butte was a neat town to visit if you're an American history buff.

Anyway, wouldn't it be cheaper to brew with Skin-So-Soft? it's gotta be easy to get hold of than DEET by the gallon. Just a thought.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dry hop with some thermacell pads to boot!

On a serious note, thermacell is the shiznit for skeeters.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFebtober View Post
I Really though, Butte was a neat town to visit if you're an American history buff.

Anyway, wouldn't it be cheaper to brew with Skin-So-Soft? it's gotta be easy to get hold of than DEET by the gallon. Just a thought.
I'd have to call the Avon lady, and I don't know if I am ready for that so soon after the last incident.

I concur on Butte for the history, its a neat town. I am from Missoula, a town close by (by Montanan standards), so its second nature to chide Buttians (pronounced be-u-shians, or the other way, thats fine too ). I recommend the pork-chop sandwich at Pork Chop Johns if you're ever in town.

Quick Reply