Recent issue with girlfriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not one to take my problems to the Internet, but I have no one in the real world that I can talk about this seriously. I mean, it's not all THAT bad, but it's still somewhat shameful/touchy.

The problem started two weeks ago when we were watching TV. She saw that godawful Yogi bear commercial and she now wants to go see the movie this weekend...

How can I not go, please help ?

It's OK my wife wanted to see Little Man when she saw the ad for that. What I did was say, "OK" and then never went. I just came up with alternative things to do besides going to see a movie. If you can just make up other stuff to do for a couple of weeks, that movie is sure to bomb out of the theater quick enough that you won't have to worry about it again until it comes out on DVD.

I avoid renting it because we use Netflix and I always just put other stuff in front of it in the queue.

Yogi actually looked like it might be funny. It doesn't look nearly as cheesy or idiotic as I thought it would.
Don't count on this one bombing out, but I'm sure you can avoid the theaters for a month as long as she doesn't have a chance to bring up "lets go to the movies" on a random Saturday afternoon.

Think you two are missing the bigger issue.

Could you really ever settle down with someone who WANTED to see that movie?

If my wife ever proposed, "Hey, let's drop the kids off and go see a movie together, I hear the Yogi Bear movie's going to be at the cinema!," my respect for her would drop about 98% and I'd have divorce papers being drawn up before the weekend was over. Well, OK, I wouldn't divorce her, but I'd bring her into the emergency room, because she clearly must have suffered a major head trauma at some point recently.

You haven't been donkey-punching her, have you?

^^^ Not more than usual, so I very much doubt that's it.

She just has a taste for campy crap when it comes to movies/tv shows, so no brain damage, and it's pretty much the only thing wrong with her after 4 years of cohabitation.

Staging a fake car accident ?

Bring a flask. Pour its contents liberally into your $10 bucket of soda. You'll soon forget about Yogi and daydream of the awesome bedroom session that's bound to follow.

I'm a total Jeff Bridges fanboy and I'm not sure I'll even shell for Tron in the theater.

Don't start a tit for tat, "if you do this, then I'll do that" war. Pretty soon you'll have a tat that you regret, and your life will completely lack tits.

Okay, I'm not one to take my problems to the Internet, but I have no one in the real world that I can talk about this seriously. I mean, it's not all THAT bad, but it's still somewhat shameful/touchy.

The problem started two weeks ago when we were watching TV. She saw that godawful Yogi bear commercial and she now wants to go see the movie this weekend...

How can I not go, please help ?

Silly canuck. What she really means is she is looking for someone with bear arms- yea ya know, what we 'Americans were guaranteed. :tank::drunk::p

1_the_right_to_bear_arms.thumbnail.jpg

I just got out of going to the girl friends extended family christmas, by simply "having to work". I called her today and told her that work needed me to program some parts, what she doesnt know, is that I offered to work tomorrow :) I tried my best to get out of it every other way, and I just knew it wasnt going to happen. Work though, I cant say no to the OT :)

I'm a total Jeff Bridges fanboy and I'm not sure I'll even shell for Tron in the theater.

The trick is to see True Grit right after Tron so that you keep thinking, "wow, that's the SAME GUY?" the whole time you're in the theater.

Or you could do a whole Jeff Bridges day, starting with Tron (1) at home, then seeing Tron Legacy and True Grit, then come back home and watch Big Lebowski while you get completely trashed.

If you love her, you'll just grin and BEAR it.;) It's only a movie. There will be better and worse in your lifetime. It's not an argument worth having. I'm sure she puts up with plenty of the crap that you want to do.....Like going to brewing related stuff, eh?

Besides it actually doesn't look all THAT god aweful....on slightly so.

Heh, turns out my wife likes even worse movies. At least so far.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/little_man/

Actually, I don't think she would actually like it if she saw it. Somehow she's just really bad at judging the potential quality of this type of film based on the ads. Really I'm doing her a favor....

My son uses that site quite a bit. Show her the reviews. They put the best they got into a 30 second commercial. Bad way to make a choice.

When my wife says she wants to see (insert stupid chick flick here), I just say "ok honey". Then we just don't go. That, or I tell her to go see it with her mom. Stalling and saying you will Red Box it works too. I might not mind paying $1 to see that stupid movie at home where I have beer. I'm not shelling out $20+ to see it in the theatre though.

Noooooo! Don't do that! She might agree, then you'd have to see two crappy movies!

hilarious!!!! ! i heard Tron was horrible...multiple sources too and I'm a movie guy. Stay home, pop some beers, burn one down and go to town!!! buy a Yogi mask and make that clam cream...btw, i agree any chick that WANTS to see that movie just ain't right. She better be HOT

I like how some people are giving serious thought out answers while the_bird asked me right off the bat if I was donkey-punching her.

The thing with saying "yes, honey" and then just not going is that:
a) I've used that technique about 200 hundred times already in the last 6 months for various stuff.
b) We are going shopping for Christmas present on Sunday so we WILL be next to the damn theater.

I might just try to enlist my mother to go see it with her. It worked for all the Twilight movies ;) Or I'll just go and bring a flask of gin for some improvised gin 7-ups.

For the record, I actually like the old cartoons.

****, it's what, 90 minutes out of your life? Surely you can spare it. It ain't all about you.
Just the .02 from a guy who's been quite happily married for 11 years with the odd 90 minutes of torture thrown in to propagate happiness.

I'm telling you if you just distract her with other stuff she'll forget about it completely and you'll both be happier as a result.

It doesn't matter how many times you've used it...I guarantee she's done the same to you and you just don't remember.

I haven't been married 11 years yet but we tend to have more fun when we find stuff we can enjoy together.

****, it's what, 90 minutes out of your life? Surely you can spare it. It ain't all about you.
Just the .02 from a guy who's been quite happily married for 11 years with the odd 90 minutes of torture thrown in to propagate happiness.

Thanks for the attitude in an anotherwise light-hearted thread.

I always go to the crappy movies with the wife. Heck, I offered to take her to see Tron.

Here is the trick: Stay up as late as possible the night before and go really tired. That way you can sleep through it and still get a B in the effort department. It's a sacrifice, but you have to wait for your movies to come out on DVD, otherwise you have to sleep through them too. It has to be a habit, otherwise you're busted.

^^^this

I'm sure she endures plenty of your 30 second interludes. Just fake enjoying it:D

:p

Back