The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > real estate advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well, poop hit the fan today and it looks like we're walking away. I didn't want to post any pictures or anything until we agreed on a contract but the owner wouldn't budge on the price. We offered 10k less than asking price and asked for 3% of sale price toward closing costs and to have the HVAC system and fireplace serviced. They responded with "there is no wiggle room" on the price and crossed out everything that had to do with the closing costs, service, and AHS warranty.
I know we kind of lowballed him a bit but come on! You aren't going to budge one cent in a buyer's market when your house has been on the market for 2 months! Maybe that's why it's still on the market..... Oh well. There is still hope, my agent was going to tell them we are walking away and she is going to get back to me. Looks like my next weekend will be shot looking at more houses.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
well, poop hit the fan today and it looks like we're walking away. I didn't want to post any pictures or anything until we agreed on a contract but the owner wouldn't budge on the price. We offered 10k less than asking price and asked for 3% of sale price toward closing costs and to have the HVAC system and fireplace serviced. They responded with "there is no wiggle room" on the price and crossed out everything that had to do with the closing costs, service, and AHS warranty.
I know we kind of lowballed him a bit but come on! You aren't going to budge one cent in a buyer's market when your house has been on the market for 2 months! Maybe that's why it's still on the market..... Oh well. There is still hope, my agent was going to tell them we are walking away and she is going to get back to me. Looks like my next weekend will be shot looking at more houses.
Sorry man. This can be a very troubling experience. Luckily for us, it has been halfway pleasant so far.

We looked at some real high priced dumps in the beginning though.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
todd_k

Recipes 

I hear that. Nothing like walking into an empty house and getting slapped in the face with the smell of cat piss.

I just heard back from my realtor, apparently the seller can't move on the price due to the money he owes either on this house or the new house, neither of which is my problem. So I guess he can keep paying a mortgage on two houses until he finds that sucker who will offer full price. A house the same size right down the street just sold for 10k less than what he's asking so I think he'll be waiting a while.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:

Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

That's too bad. It takes people a while to adjust to the changing housing market, they don't realize that it isn't about what they NEED to get for the house or what they feel they OUGHT to get based on what the market was like last year - but what the market is today. I have a strong feeling this will work out for you in the end, it's a much better market to be buying in today. Somewhere out there is someone with a home you'll love that's been sitting on it for four or five months, this isn't the time to act rashly.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I hear that. Nothing like walking into an empty house and getting slapped in the face with the smell of cat piss.

I just heard back from my realtor, apparently the seller can't move on the price due to the money he owes either on this house or the new house, neither of which is my problem. So I guess he can keep paying a mortgage on two houses until he finds that sucker who will offer full price. A house the same size right down the street just sold for 10k less than what he's asking so I think he'll be waiting a while.
I'd definitely let that dude know that. Maybe he'll budge.

BUT....plenty of other stuff out there, keep looking!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm assuming that you folks in the market for real estate these days know about zillow.com, right?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
todd_k

Recipes 

I don't know if the seller knows that but the seller's agent was notified yesterday. I'm afraid he's going to realize he needs to come down after we've decided on another house. We're on a bit of a timeline here as our lease expires on Thanksgiving. Right now it's not a big deal but in another a few weeks it's gonna start to cut it close. We can go month to month but it's another 100 bucks a month which we don't want to do.
It's also strange because I don't think anyone else has put any offers in. We went to see the house a 2nd time last weekend and the only business card on the counter was from our agent. No one else is even looking at the house. That should tell him something.

EDIT: yeah, we know about zillow. according to 2 agents, it's not accurate because of the databases they pull their data from are not always accurate.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:

Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Be thankful that your real estate agent isn't out to push you into a house you don't want. The first house that we put an offer on turned out to be a pain working with the sellers--they wouldn't budge on any thing. Our real estate agent told us we couldn't back out of the deal because we had made an offer (first time buyers) and we didn't know any better so we more or less got screwed.

You definitely want to go with your gut instincts on buying a house, if it doesn't feel right walk away, and know that you can.

Good luck, it's out there.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
todd_k

Recipes 

Our agent is cool as hell. She doesn't hold anything back, she will tell you exactly what she thinks of the house you're looking at (unless the sellers are there too, then she waits until we get back in the car). The only think she did that was kind of annoying was one day she suggested going to look at a few houses that were 20-25k over our price range which we said no way and she was fine with that.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:

Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

We just spoke to a realtor the other day and she did the same thing, suggesting houses that are slightly higher than our price range (it was at an open house, we really aren't looking to move anyway). The justification she had was for every 1,000 you go up in price on a house, your monthly payment increases $7. So $10k really only changes your payment by $70, and there is the possibility of getting them to drop the price into your range.

Quick Reply