Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Radio Talk Show Hosts Gone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Radio Talk Show Hosts Gone

Ok, nothing new people move on, get fired, shows get cancled but I thought this was strange.

I listen (well used to until shift changed) a radio talk show on the way home from work each day for years. Very popular show I thought. Anyway, apparently they did their Friday show as usual and the following Monday a music show repalced it and Tuesday afternoon two new guys were doing the talk show as if they were always there.

Turns out their contract was not renewed. But you would think there would be some notice, some goodbye, something final to end a show of many years. Nope just gone like it never existed. Loyal fans deserve some kind of closure IMO. Like a good friend who one day you find his house empty and no goodbye, nothing, you never see him again.

I understand maybe the station was afraid they would get nasty on air but they are professionals and I don't think they would have.

Check this out, I was told they all do it that way when they want to change programing. One day they just dissapear and replacements show up.

I think the station said they were going in a slight different direction. Ok, but do it like that?

Anyone else think that is weird?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Tholan
Recipes 

It is weird in a way, but I think there are some psychological reasons why a radio station wouldn't want a "downer" show.

For what its worth I have seen that many times and it is always disconcerting to the avid listener.

Radio is a terribly tough business. Punctuatede by the fact that a few people make millions while thousands pay for airtime.

I did a live Libertarian webshow for a while and still do on occasion. The same show on terrestrial radio would cost $100 an hour minimum. That requires sponsures or deep pockets.

Many of the people you hear in local markets only make in the 20's or 30's, while the flagship personalities may break the 100's.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholan View Post
It is weird in a way, but I think there are some psychological reasons why a radio station wouldn't want a "downer" show.

For what its worth I have seen that many times and it is always disconcerting to the avid listener.

Radio is a terribly tough business. Punctuatede by the fact that a few people make millions while thousands pay for airtime.

I did a live Libertarian webshow for a while and still do on occasion. The same show on terrestrial radio would cost $100 an hour minimum. That requires sponsures or deep pockets.

Many of the people you hear in local markets only make in the 20's or 30's, while the flagship personalities may break the 100's.
Yeah, but if a TV talk show host had his/her show cancled there would be a "goodbye" show...unless of course it was on bad terms. Yeah, I would like to have had notice and a chance for them to say goodbye.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
jgln
Recipes 

Funny thing too is I was on vacation the following week they got canned so I was actually listening to the station and heard the music the one day and the new hosts the next day. I just thought they were on vacation.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

I read some blogs about it, many people upset and writing to the station.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 716 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 1807

Happens all the time, it's pretty much SOP in the broadcast radio industry. Regards, GF.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

In Dallas it is 1000X more common for radio personalities to be pulled with no notice than to be given an opportunity to say goodbye on the air. The reason is pretty simple. Radio is a nasty business and it's too likely people will get on the air and spew bad stuff. Could be about why they were fired, their contracts, their coworkers, etc. It's live (generally with a few seconds of delay) so you can't edit it down like a TV show and once it's out there, it's out there. That's why they almost always pull personalities before the contract ends so they don't have a chance to start slipping stuff in. Even on a show that is civil in nature, the management folks don't want to take the chance.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

We just lost an entire radio station. For some reason, NYC cannot support a rock station broadcasting current music. It just seems crazy to me that with all the people here and in the surrounding area, we never have a rock station for more than a few years before it disappears.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is the OP talking about 101.5 and the Jersey Guys? If so, I was surprised to see them end so abruptly too. But they were in contract negotiations based on an internet search. I've listened to that station for a long time now and when all the hosts of a show are leaving, there is no farewell show. When one of the two hosts leaves, there isn't a farewell show either, but at least the remaining host explains it after the fact.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Is the OP talking about 101.5 and the Jersey Guys? If so, I was surprised to see them end so abruptly too. But they were in contract negotiations based on an internet search. I've listened to that station for a long time now and when all the hosts of a show are leaving, there is no farewell show. When one of the two hosts leaves, there isn't a farewell show either, but at least the remaining host explains it after the fact.
I was wondering the same thing. I used to listen to them, but haven't for a while due to work schedule. Kinda sucks.

Quick Reply