Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Questions on Scent Masking for Veteran Hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Questions on Scent Masking for Veteran Hunters

I've been hunting deer for 4 or 5 years now. Never gotten really crazy about it; I still just roll with the trusty .35 Remington from my Pa, and just go sit in the woods and wait.

Well, a couple days ago, I went to my mom's house (where I hunt, she's got some land in the woods at the base of a mountain) and went out around 6:30am. I spooked a few deer, but it was too early to shoot, as the sun was still down. I waited another couple hours, but saw nothing. Now, realize that she has a TON of deer, you see them all the time all around her property, and I've killed plenty). Anyway, I went looking around, and found a few places where I know they like to hang out, and their trails were littered with scat (right on the edge of a power company cleared swath), and decided to build my treestand there.

After about 4 hours trudging back and forth from the house, and a lot of hard manual labor, the stand was built, and I went out yesterday morning at 5:30, hoping to beat them to the spot. I sat motionless in the stand, and about half an hour later (still pitch black dark), I heard them in their "spot" just off the clearing. They started huffing and hissing, and ran off---like they usually do when I spook them.

Now, given that I had not made a move or a sound in over 30 minutes, the only thing I can think of is that they smelled me. The wind was pretty high yesterday, and it was moving in different directions every 5 minutes. From what I understand, their sense of smell is 100 times greater than ours...and if they get a strong smell of a human, they'll get spooked pretty easily.

So, I'm done for this year (sadly, only one kill), but for next year, I really want to look into masking my scent more actively. I read a few things...wash your clothes with special detergent, wash your body with special soap, get scent-lok gear, brush your teeth with baking soda before the hunt, spray yourself with scent neutralizer, etc.

So, my question is, what works, what's necessary, what's the best?

Thanks in advance...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have never put alot of effort into the scent blocking unless I am bow hunting. And even then I dont go to the lengths of brushing with soda or anything to that extreme.

I have a scent-lok jacket but thats about it. I have only cause I couldn't find the jacket I liked without it.

I do however put my stand typically up-wind of prevailing patterns. I also use some OTHER scent that may mask mine rather than trying to not have a scent at all. i.e. Put out a doe in heat, buck rut, or non-predator scent. Depending on the time of year these either act as an attractor or just a scent that is stronger than yours.

I have never washed clothes so I can't attest to the success of those products.

I think one tool that may give you more insight is a trail cam and pay attention to the time stamp. They typically travel to designated areas at certain times of day for bedding or feeding. Then position your self so they are traveling into you at the corresponding time of day. This has proven more effective than trying to mask scents. Their desire to get where they are going will likely work in your favor.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

scent-lok gear is the best! I usually wash my hunting clothes with only water and line dry. Otherwise some spent dryer sheet smell might leach on. The just use a non scented soap. I got a nice 8 pointer this am and between that and the doe earlier in the season I will be in venison for a while.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use old military clothes, bathe with a neutral unscented soap (like Ivory) for a few days prior, The best method I've found for Bow hunting is burn a cowpie or other non meat eating animal poop and let the smoke saturate your outerwear. That will not only mask any dryer sheet/detergent smells but blend your smell. (Very old trick taught to me by my great uncle from before the days of scent-lok gear and sprays).

Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

so I should...expose my...clothes...to...poopsmoke...um, can't I just buy some spray?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Personally, I've always taken a shower with baking soda and brushed with baking soda just before going out. When I wash my gear I wash with baking soda also. I've never really had problems with deer bow or gun. I dont know what else works.

Hope you get one. Big Buck Bock!

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Well, to be fair, I've never had this problem before, so I think it might just be the fact that I spent 4 hours going back and forth on their game trail, lugging lumber up and down the mountain.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Spray scent killers work well.

I wash clothes in scent killing detergent, and then store in a airtight bag. A week before going out, I add a pine branch or two to the bag.

I have had elk walk past me at 5 yards during bow season.

Save the poop smoke for special occasions

Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
Spray scent killers work well.

I wash clothes in scent killing detergent, and then store in a airtight bag. A week before going out, I add a pine branch or two to the bag.

I have had elk walk past me at 5 yards during bow season.

Save the poop smoke for special occasions
Awesome Idea! I just learned something.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hunting is my passion, beer a close second. OK, well... maybe family is first, hunting second, beer third.

Or maybe hunting for beer with my family... or...

Quick Reply