Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Question for those who have lived in Germany.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Question for those who have lived in Germany.

Ok had a quick question for those who have lived there, I know there are a few on the board. I have a semester project that I need to pick a city in Germany, to talk about; Landscape, Tourism, well know sports team, neat Architecture, Major industry, Art, Culinary specialties, history, and plan a trip there. What would you say is your favorite city, that would be good to fit most of that criteria? If you had any cool pictures of the area, that I could use, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Ok had a quick question for those who have lived there, I know there are a few on the board. I have a semester project that I need to pick a city in Germany, to talk about; Landscape, Tourism, well know sports team, neat Architecture, Major industry, Art, Culinary specialties, history, and plan a trip there. What would you say is your favorite city, that would be good to fit most of that criteria? If you had any cool pictures of the area, that I could use, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
I lived in Mainz a couple of times when I was younger but it was a little too long ago! ...I was about 8. Nice place though

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off I would say that the larger, more touristic cities will be taken...Frankfort/Munich...and probably end up boring.

Pick another city not as well known (by tourist measurement), but pick a time period.

The reason I say that is because many people try to project themselves (me included) into a certain time period and come away with a fantasy that is no where near reality.

Case in point...when have you ever read about a specific time period and the market was NOT described as TERRIBLY SMELLY? I've been to town markets and the odor is deathly...I have more info, but I'm pretty drunk about now...whenecer I use to project myself into a time period, I used to do the market and gasthaus and such...you know...where the REAL people lived....

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been to many cities, but mostly for historical or religious (Reformation and/or Middle Ages) reasons.

Pick a city (I'm not doing your paper for you)...and I may be able to help.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 08-28-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
First off I would say that the larger, more touristic citews will be taken...Frankfort/Munich.

Pick another city not as well known (by tourist measurement).

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been to many cities, but mostly for historical or religious (Reformation and/or Middle Ages) reasons.

Pick a city (I'm not doing your paper for you)...and I may be able to help.
That was the main reason I wanted some opinions. Not wanting my paper done, just a good city that I can research, I don't want to use a touristy city.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I studied in Cologne/Koln, great city with interesting history. Intersting mix of people as well. My fav city in Germany but moslty b/c I grew to love it - I haven't lived elsewhere.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I lived just outside of Wurzburg, it was a very cool city. Rottenburg is also a very cool city with some interesting history to it. It is one of the few remaining cities that has a wall around it... I may be able to dig up a few pics of those if you decide on either of them.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, ill start looking them up.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nürnberg all the way. My travels across Germany, especially Bayern and Baden-Württemberg, led to realize that historically speaking and culturally Nürnberg is amazing.

Hitler chose the city as the "Most German of all German cities" because of it's influence on German culture and it's proximity inside the country. I'd definitely look into that. North about 30 minutes you have Würzburg which was a very influential religious city for a long time. Then next to that, you have Bamberg which is famous for it's beer and food.

Nürnberg's proximity to important places and it's inherent culture would make it my pick.

Maybe i'll see you over there. I will be going to either the University of Freiburg or the University of Stuttgart come next year.

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Trier. Tons of history in that area due to the Roman ruins. It houses Trier cathedral (a beautiful church), and is the home of Karl Marx.

This will get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier

It is an absolutely beautiful city and has a remarkable history. I had the pleasure of visiting it a handful of times and would go back in a second.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Trier. Tons of history in that area due to the Roman ruins. It houses Trier cathedral (a beautiful church), and is the home of Karl Marx.

This will get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier

It is an absolutely beautiful city and has a remarkable history. I had the pleasure of visiting it a handful of times and would go back in a second.
In all honesty, there isnt a city in Germany that I would not want to go back to. Its a great country

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Quick Reply