HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Question about The Beer Connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
vhanley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Question about The Beer Connoisseur

So, my lovely wife, God bless her, using the knowledge that I love beer, bought.....something....from Groupon from The Beer Connoisseur website that actually doesn't state what the heck it is. I THINK it's a magazine subscription (OK, cool), but it doesn't say. I HOPE it's not a website subscription (because that's free on their site).

They have a section titled "beer school" which essentially tells you how to "properly appreciate beer." Not much of a "school" there for a brewer.

Does anybody ever use this site/magazine? Is this going to be useful to a brewer, or is it going to be more of an "entertainment" magazine?

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2806 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Looks more like entertainment. Sorry.

I glanced at the "Club" membership and frankly I'm not sure what it is they are selling. "Virtual Camaraderie?" I have no idea what that is, but it sounds an awful lot like what we have here.

That said, it was free and it was a nice gesture.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
C38368
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.

Primary: Little Lion IPA v2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Little Lion IPA (v2), Proud Kitty Pale Ale, and one last bottle of the weird brown ale that wanted to be an Oud Bruin when it grew up.
On deck: Cascadia, a CDA, or a stout.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
UnDeadPresident
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C38368 View Post
It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.
Lifetime subscriber here (which may have been a mistake). I spoke with some of the reps at GABF a few years back, and you're right it's their attempt at a beer version of "Cigar Aficionado." It's supposed to be published quarterly, but I think they may have some funding issues that affected that schedule. There was recently a gap of 2 quarters between issues, and the quality of the materials used has noticeably gone down. That was in addition to the diminished volume of content compared to previous issues.
Rye IPA, Citra Pale Ale, ESB, CO Pale/Simcoe SMaSH

"Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world."
- Wilhelm II of Germany

Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
vhanley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Roger that! Thanks gentlemen!....false enthusiasm gene initiated!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Quick Reply