The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Put an offer in on a house

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
mr_goodwrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Put an offer in on a house *Update*

We moved here to Metro Atlanta last summer to escape the failing economy of Upstate NY. I found a job as a technician at a large Chevy dealer here and after lots of discussion with SWMBO, we took the plunge. We decided to rent for the first year to be sure that we were in the right area as far as schools and that were concerned. Well, my daughter has been thriving in her school (her teacher tells us that if she hadn't been told that we just moved here, she would never guess that she hasn't been in this school all along.) We also wanted to be able to scout out the neighborhoods which, as it turns out, was extremely smart since I absolutely HATE the subdivision we are renting in.

Since we really like the area we are in, we have been looking around at houses. I contacted our realtor a couple of weeks ago (our lease isn't up until the end of July) since we seen some evidence that our landlord may be about to have the house foreclosed on. Last Saturday we looked at a bunch of properties and found one that is perfect for us. Its a short sale, so even if our rental doesn't get foreclosed on, it will probably time just about right for us.

The place is 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, just over 3000 squre feet on a shade over 3/4 of a acre. There is an office upstairs for SWMBO's scrapbooking studio and the basement will be a perfect man-wing. About 2/3 of it is finished with part being a bedroom which would be a study and the other finished part is a rec room that would be a great place for a pool table & bar. The back 1/3 of the basement is unfinished workshop space with the mechanicals that walks out into the backyard under the deck ~ perfect spot for a brewery!

We put in an offer yesterday and are now just waiting on the bank's approval. My agent told me when I was signing the offer that the owner was getting ready to take it off the market, so we got there just in time. SWMBO is a bit nervous about the whole short sale thing, but the way I see it, if it is meant to be, it will happen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
stanley1271
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds awesome. Good luck on getting the house. I am envious since I live in a townhome and would love to have a house like that to have the space to brew AG.

-Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujieagle View Post
I'm telling ya, she's nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Kegged:
  • AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen
  • American Devil IPA

Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
drkeds
Recipes 

Best of luck on the purchase. The place sounds great!
Hope it all turns out perfect!

-Kim Dunbar

Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great find! Good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. We are pretty excited since it has pretty much everything we are looking for. It needs a bit of TLC... carpet, paint, appliances, but nothing outrageous. We are trying not to get our hopes up too much due to the unpredictable nature of short sales, but I have a good feeling about it.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Upstate NY to Atlanta GA... I see refrigeration for fermentation in your future!

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck man! My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home and have put in a few offers on short-sales in our area.

It has been a process. Have put in a few offers, all rejected (even the house that was on the market for two years that had NO activity - we did a full listing price offer and we were a weekend too late and someone else got it). My wife was getting overly attached to every house - so I am relieved that the blown offers have made her look at home buying rationally instead of emotionally. It is really difficult to buy something that expensive when the other person is saying that the back yard is perfect for our son / dog even thought it isn't big enough to play catch in.

We are going out today to look at a few more. Hopefully throw in a offer today. Our realtor always tells us how shocked we are that we are so cool about the process. I told her there is no reason to get worked up about something that I didn't know about a few days earlier.

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

M_C: There is a spot in the workshop portion of the basement that would be a great spot for a large fermentation chamber!

BeerWars: Good luck to you guys as well! It can certainly be a stressful situation. So far we have been pretty lucky. We put our house in NY on the market on a Thursday night, showed it Saturday and signed the contract on Sunday! Hoping that our lucky streak continues.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
buffalobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How are the property taxes down there? (i'll proably feel sick after you tell me....)

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My sister lives in N Tonawanda and the taxes on this house are roughly a third of hers.

Quick Reply