Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Props for Chocolate Bock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Ciliorozo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Props for Chocolate Bock

I am not a huge fan of Sam Adams, though I like that I can order them over the big 3 at a lot of restaurants. I just have to give them props for their Chocolate Bock beer. Anyone else try this?

Last year they tried to sell it in a bomber for ~$14, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy it though I looked at it several times. This year they released it in their winter variety pack (which I usually buy for the Fezziwig) and I must say it is quite nice. Rich, malty, choclately and not sweet. A job well done,I wish I could just buy this and Fezziwig without the other bottles.

Cheers Jim!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't drink much sam adams anymore, but a friend of mine brought over the 12 pack you speak of. I tried one of them and I have to agree. It's a very good beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Noodle
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I bought one of the bottles of it last year and loved it. Haven't had any yet this year though.

Bottled:
Oktoberfest
Ed Wort's Apfelwein

Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I like this beer and cannot figure out how they got almost a milk chocolate taste into that beer.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
theschick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm drinking my first bottle of this right now, and wow! I would love to pair some of this with some nice chocolates. I've been searching for a clone recipe, but have come up short. If anyone knows how to embark such chocolate flavor in a beer, please let me know.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
rodneypierce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschick View Post
I'm drinking my first bottle of this right now, and wow! I would love to pair some of this with some nice chocolates. I've been searching for a clone recipe, but have come up short. If anyone knows how to embark such chocolate flavor in a beer, please let me know.
+ ten thousand! I would also like to know!!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Hippie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was happily surprised to see this repackaged as 12oz bottles in the winter pack, but is it available as a stand alone anymore? I enjoyed it so much that I was buying it often in bombers, now I hope to not need buy a variety pack to get it. Put me on the list of people that would love a clone recipe for this wonder.

Tertiary:
Kegged:Chocolate Cherry Porter

Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also bought the winter pack and was definitely impressed with the chocolate bock. Not so much with the porter that also came with it, way too bubbly and sweet. I don't mind sam adams though, its not the best, but compared to all of the usual crap bars tend to have, its worth drinking. Luckily a lot of the places I frequent, at least have fat tire though, which I always seem to enjoy. I tried the sam adams winter lager on tap and it wasn't bad either.

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow. I'm probably the only one, but I absolutely hated this beer. I've tried it twice recently and both times it went down the drain. IMO, the beer is over carbonated, has a watery mouthfeel, no head, and tastes like a coca-cola with Hershey's syrup added.

The holiday porter wasn't anything great either. Drank the bottle, but wouldn't have another one.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Wow. I'm probably the only one, but I absolutely hated this beer. I've tried it twice recently and both times it went down the drain. IMO, the beer is over carbonated, has a watery mouthfeel, no head, and tastes like a coca-cola with Hershey's syrup added.

The holiday porter wasn't anything great either. Drank the bottle, but wouldn't have another one.
You are definitely not alone here. I thought this stuff was disgusting. I think you pretty much hit the flavors on the head....tasted artificial and too sugary sweet for me.

The whole holiday mixed case was a disappointment to me.... Old Fezziwig, Winter Lager, White Ale and the Chocolate Bock had some spices that really didn't need to be in there. I feel like the base recipes were OK but got ruined with all of the extra junk in it. The holiday porter was the most drinkable (though not really a stand-out) beer in the case.

Quick Reply