The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Prohibition Returns!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
...I still think that the drunk driving laws in the US need to be a lot stricter. I'm talking about a zero tolerance policy. Permanent suspension of driving priveliges.

Great idea

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I would hate to get into a debate on zero tollerance for the simple fact you couldn't ingest vanilla, or wash your mouth out with mouthwash for the fear of some minute amount of alcohol in your system or on your breath. I agree that DWI needs to be addressed, but how did you plan on getting home before you got arrested for PI Neomich?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm thinking he meant "zero tolerance" with regards to if you're convicted, you're done with driving for good (or sent to jail for a long period), not "zero tolerance" in the context of "you blew a 0.001%, now you'll be blowing your cellmate."

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
IEven with this stupid incident, I still think that the drunk driving laws in the US need to be a lot stricter. I'm talking about a zero tolerance policy. Permanent suspension of driving priveliges. If you know a substance or a device has been proven to impair driving abilities, there shouldn't be any sort of 'legal' limit. Phones, Alcohol, controlled substances, 'adult acts'... all of that kinda stuff. If it CAN cause an accident, rest assured it will. The drunk driving statistics speak for themselves.
Yes the drunk driving statistics do say a lot

I'm fine with .08, but anything lower than that is ridiculous. Everybody! Drink in your homes only! Don't let anyone see you or know that you are drinking!

So you can't go to a restaurant and have a beer? What about your favorite local brewpub?

I thought as homebrewers we were supposed to see beer as more of a social tool, rather than some fizzy water that gets your drunk. You know, brew up a delicious beer, invite your buddies over for a few during the game, share with frieds/family, enjoy life, etc.

And public intoxication is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Who cares if you're walking around downtown with a bit of a buzz? As long as you're not stumbling over yourself/other people, puking all over the place, starting sh!t, who cares?

/Nanny state, indeed!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #15
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wondered Bird, I think you are right by what you think he meant, and I agree with that stance. My brother is a teetotaller and we have some really heated arguments sometimes. He smokes and everyone gets to "enjoy" it with him, but he thinks it is a violation of his personal rights to not be able to smoke anywhere he wants. That's a whole other thread right there.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Personally, .08 is about spot on where the limit should be, however I do believe the punishment for DUI/DWI should be far more strict then most states currently have.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Neomich
Recipes 

It would be easy for me to claim I planned on sleeping in my truck like I've done before but honestly, I can't make that claim because I don't know what I would have done. I have just slept it off in my truck/car before if I know I shouldn't be driving. When I realized that it could have been a lot worse, I just shut up and paid my fine and left. I knew I had gotten off easy with a PI. Plus, I was underage and had someone else's ID on me. I left as quickly as possible.

As far as my zero tolerance statment, yes if you were to be convicted of it, then sure, I believe you're no longer entitled to be driving. We know mouthwash and other substances can show a false positive on tests though. I think that a blood test is the most accurate way to tell if someone's actually drunk but I don't know how easy or safe it is to administer that at the jail.

I've known people with multiple DD arrests that just keep on doing it. I would hate to have someone else killed because they choose to do it and the laws don't apply enough punishment to deter anyone from repeating.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Neomich
Recipes 

Question along these lines. Has anyone known someone to actually 'pass' a breathalizer test if they've had a couple drinks?

I'm wondering how accurate those things are.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.08 is too low, and it got there via nanny statists like MADD. Most accidents happen at much higher thresholds, but the neoprohibitionists think that they can just keep lowering the limit if they want to stem drunk driving accidents.

Hell, the woman that founded MADD (no longer with the organization) says as much in the article:

Quote:
Although alcohol nannies generally support zero tolerance, one dissenting voice doesn't. "I thought the emphasis on .08 laws was not where the emphasis should have been placed," Candace Lightner told the Los Angeles Times in 2002. "The majority of crashes occur with high blood-alcohol levels, the .15, .18 and .25 drinkers. Lowering the blood-alcohol concentration was not a solution to the alcohol problem."
Exactly. Talking to your passengers is just about as dangerous as having a 0.08 BAC. So would you advocate that someone should be put in jail and have their license suspended indefinitely whenever they talk to their passengers? Personally, I have no problem with going after drunk drivers...but you're not going to solve anything by continuously lowering the definition of "drunk".

But the problem is, just lowering that number and arresting more people is EASY. It doesn't take any real thinking or action...you blow into a device, they arrest you. Attacking the real problem isn't quite as easy, so they just keep redefining "drunk" to make it look like they're doing something useful. Did drunk driving accident rates plummet when the feds blackmailed the states into lowering the limit to 0.08? Of course not....because most accidents happen at at least 0.15.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So how the **** are you supposed to get home if you can't even walk home drunk now?

To the OP, I don't know if I'd say nanny state... I think there's another word that better fits what our country is heading towards.

On the up side of prohibition, if it returns, us knowing how to make good beer, we could become very rich

Quick Reply