Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Prohibition Returns!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #101
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6
I'd seriously love to know how automated enforcement actually does anything to reduce drunk driving.
It's a fact. Where photo-enforcement of speed limits is used instead of actual police officers, the number of DUI arrests is reduced. Just ask any politician. That's proof that the streets are becoming safer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #102
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't know about you, but I would take the ticket for speeding/red light/whatever through the mail just to not have to talk to an officer. I am always respectful (sir yes sir, sir no sir) but they are all intimidating for the fact is is always their word against yours. I don't speed, and obey all the traffic laws, but even talking to an off duty cop makes me nervous.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #103
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thats why we need more/better public transit... When I was in Germany I got ripproarin drunk a number of times and just took the subways/busses back to the hotel/hostel whatever...

I realize that the US is MUCH larger than Germany though and it would be very difficult for it to work in places like Texas but...still something. Why do the busses stop running so early? I mean, I'd ride them.

Better yet, cops should become a free taxi service

Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #104
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Viva la revolution!!!

this is really what it is eventually going to boil down to, if you want to change anything in this country.

i think even old thomas jefferson said the liberty tree needs to be watered or sprinkled with blood from time to time. it's been a long drought by my count.

takes home brew equipment and heads for the hills...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #105
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
It's a fact. Where photo-enforcement of speed limits is used instead of actual police officers, the number of DUI arrests is reduced. Just ask any politician. That's proof that the streets are becoming safer!
Nail hit. Right on the head. Of course it reduces the number of DUI arrests. Why? Because you get a speeding ticket and can continue to drive drunk because you didn't get a DUI.

Hrmm...maybe I *am* beginning to like the police state idea.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #106
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6
Nail hit. Right on the head. Of course it reduces the number of DUI arrests. Why? Because you get a speeding ticket and can continue to drive drunk because you didn't get a DUI.

Hrmm...maybe I *am* beginning to like the police state idea.
EXACTLY!!!! lol No Cop, No Stop

I'm not saying I want a police state, cell phones are just as good with concerned citizens. I have called in several concerns before, they were probably just tired but...... who knows. They were all over the road.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #107
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer
Thats why we need more/better public transit... When I was in Germany I got ripproarin drunk a number of times and just took the subways/busses back to the hotel/hostel whatever...

I realize that the US is MUCH larger than Germany though and it would be very difficult for it to work in places like Texas but...still something. Why do the busses stop running so early? I mean, I'd ride them.

Better yet, cops should become a free taxi service
So what good would that do? The way some of these guys are talking, you could get a ticket for walking to the bus stop. Or waiting at the bus stop.

I still don't believe some of these stories--I am sure their were extenuating circumstances that got these guys in trouble. You have to be acting drunk to get noticed by a cop. You have to be doing something out of the ordinary to get noticed. No cop is going to go through with a PI charge for someone near a .06 unless that person is being a dick or something. Just my .02.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #108
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Just my .02.
Be carefull...that .02 could turn into a .08!

Yeah, I guess my point is a bit moot then...still if your sloppy drunk waiting for a bus it's better (in a cop's eyes...at least I'd hope) than being buzzed and behind the wheel

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #109
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I still don't believe some of these stories--I am sure their were extenuating circumstances that got these guys in trouble. You have to be acting drunk to get noticed by a cop. You have to be doing something out of the ordinary to get noticed. No cop is going to go through with a PI charge for someone near a .06 unless that person is being a dick or something. Just my .02.

Believe whatever you want to. Why would these guys lie? If those people were really being a pain the a$$, they would have been charged with something other than PI (ie disturbing the piece, public menacing, etc.). The reality is that most small towns and municipalities live on the income from tickets written by cops. Almost none of them actually give quotas to their officers, but don't be fooled into thinking that means they don't exist. When I go into the city (where cops actually ARE only trying to keep things safe), I don't even get blinked at by cops, even if I am speeding a bit. But out in the suburbs I get pulled over regularly by cops that are just "checking". That means they are prowling for any ticketable offenses. Just go to one of their court dates and look around. A couple hundred people are there to pay on average $150 a person for crap like burned out tail lights, and not fully stopping at stop signs. I've said it before and I'll said it again: If you want to know why someone (or some entity) does anything the way they do, just follow the dollar signs!

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #110
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Well, think about it: when's the last time you saw a politician propose a bill that increased our freedoms?
Actually, there was a bill introduced last session in the VA General Assembly by Morgan Griffith that would have no longer made non-smoking sections in smoking-allowed restaurants mandatory, but it would have reversed the signage requirements from "no smoking" to "smoking permitted". That was a bit of a compromise with the anti-smoking lobby but it would have left the choice with the business in question and done away with a govt. mandated rule on no-smoking sections. Interesting thing about it is Griffith himself is allergic to tobacco smoke but he wants to leave the choice up to the owners of the restaurants and not the state.

The bill got to Gov. Kaine, who then completely gutted it and turned it into a blanket smoking ban. His crusade led to the GA rejecting his changes and Griffith saying that no other anti-smoking measure will have a chance as long as he is governor due to that stunt. We were left with the status quo, no ban but mandatory no-smoking sections if smoking is allowed.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Quick Reply