Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Prohibition Returns!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Prohibition Returns!

This is a really good read from a really good publication. Organizations like MADD, in conjunction with overzealous law enforcement agencies around the country, are slowly but surely turning drinking (in any volume) into a crime. The fact that you can go to prison for having a 0.08 BAC behind the wheel, when studies show that driving while talking a cellphone is actually more dangerous than having a 0.08, is just the tip of the iceberg, but it's indicative of where we're headed. Have a look...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
This is a really good read from a really good publication. Organizations like MADD, in conjunction with overzealous law enforcement agencies around the country, are slowly but surely turning drinking (in any volume) into a crime. The fact that you can go to prison for having a 0.08 BAC behind the wheel, when studies show that driving while talking a cellphone is actually more dangerous than having a 0.08, is just the tip of the iceberg, but it's indicative of where we're headed. Have a look...
My friend got arrested for "public intoxication" two weeks ago. I thought that law was only a myth. I can't believe you can get arrested for being drunk, he was not causing a ruckus, he was just out REALLY late and stumbling home.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed, very good article. We need to be speaking out to our representatives to keep this from snowballing any worse.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
My friend got arrested for "public intoxication" two weeks ago. I thought that law was only a myth. I can't believe you can get arrested for being drunk, he was not causing a ruckus, he was just out REALLY late and stumbling home.
I had a friend who got arrested for this when we were in college, so about 13 years ago (my gawd, it's been that long). Anyway, I saw it happen. Cops arrested him while he was walking to a party. He did have a beer can in his hand at the time and was underage.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Public Intoxication" laws are pretty much just an excuse for the cops to hassle anyone they want. It's based on the possibility that you might, um, do bad things. Well, that possibility exists all the time, but I never act on it. I get drunk here and there, and how often have I gone out and started a fight or broken stuff? I don't. Yet there are people that do bad sh*t while stone cold sober. It's nothing but a license to hassle good-minded innocent people.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
brett

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I know a guy who was walking home from a bar, and saw a wallet on the sidewalk. So he picks it up, and gives it to a bouncer just down the street. Tells him he found it and someone may come by looking for it.

The bouncer flags down a cop, who notices that my friend was drunk, and then promptly arrests him for public intoxication.

I guess the moral of the story is don't try to do the right thing... it'll only bite you in the ass!

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Officer: I see your license is suspended... You have a problem with drunk driving don't you?
Me: Well actually I'd say am pretty darn good at it.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

We're losing more and more freedoms every day. People seem to want to live in a nanny state. I just don't understand it. And it's not just drinking laws. The city right next to be now has photo-enforced intersections. Pull into the crosswalk on red - CLICK - $100 dollar ticket coming your way.

We're slowly becoming a technocracy where everything we do will be monitored - ALL in the name of safety.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Small town is horrible at this. My cousin got a PI after one cup of beer at the local club/bar/redneck hangout. He had enough money to get in and then drink a pitcher, only everyone else helped him drink and didn't have enough o get another pitcher. So, he literally walked out the front door to get more money out of his car and BLAM, busted. He told the county mounty the story and the a$$hole said, "So you have been drinking tonight then?" Wow, pissed his dad off (lawyer) and even had a couple of judges in town pissy. They all said the same thing though, and that was well it is the law and officers discretion. Didn't even phase the sheriffs department, the next night they busted the local college's basketball team for the same thing, only they were drunk. My cousin ask the officer before getting cuffed and stuffed if he could have a sobriety test or a Breathalyzer or something and the cop just laughed and told him to turn the F@*k around and place his hands behind his back. I have zero respect for cops in my town, and wish my Dad's bank and others in town had not raised the money for their bulletproof vests. Ok, that isn't very Christian of me so I take the last part back. They still don't have my respect.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Neomich
Recipes 

I got popped for PI and it's the only thing I've ever got in trouble with the law on. Once the place closes, you have to leave at which point you're in 'public'. Somehow they also managed to tow my truck that I wasn't even driving at the time. They asked me where my vehicle was, so I showed them. Then after going through the hassle at the station, they allowed me to pay my fine and leave. Then, they told me that my truck had been towed. I was thinking WTF? The station was not the place to cause a scene so I just paid more $ and got my truck.

Even with this stupid incident, I still think that the drunk driving laws in the US need to be a lot stricter. I'm talking about a zero tolerance policy. Permanent suspension of driving priveliges. If you know a substance or a device has been proven to impair driving abilities, there shouldn't be any sort of 'legal' limit. Phones, Alcohol, controlled substances, 'adult acts'... all of that kinda stuff. If it CAN cause an accident, rest assured it will. The drunk driving statistics speak for themselves.

I do not support any laws that dictate what you can do with your own body. But laws that say when and where you can do it are fine with me. Do whatever you want to, but do it at your home and in private. Don't put others at risk.

End rant.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply