Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > In Praise of Chicory in Coffee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

Default In Praise of Chicory in Coffee

What a nice morning - am working from home this morning, brewing with Boy#1 in the pm (the congressional district office he interns with is closed today so he gets the afternoon off) and I'm sitting around reading the NY Times and drinking coffee.

Which leads to this post - whichever French/Acadian/Cajun came up with idea of adding chickory to coffee should have get a medal. After a week in New Orleans this summer, I have been brewing my coffee with it. Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans serves it that way - if you haven't tried it, you should.

Here's to good coffee!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Cafe Dumond is usually my "house blend" in the morning, except that it is 6 bucks for one of those tiny coffee cans, which is too bad, because not only does it mellow the taste of it, it also tends to reduce some of the acid in coffee as well. I tend to have acid reflux in the morning, and Dumond is one of the few brands that doesn't trigger it.

I used to be able to find chickory years ago in grocery stores to blend it with other coffee brands, nut i haven't noticed it in quite awhile.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Revvy, I buy chickory in a little orange box at my local grocery store - it's "Coffee Partner" brand. I mix it with French Roast coffee (fair trade, but that's a different topic).

The box says it's made by Reilly Foods in New Orleans.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Revvy, I buy chickory in a little orange box at my local grocery store - it's "Coffee Partner" brand. I mix it with French Roast coffee (fair trade, but that's a different topic).

The box says it's made by Reilly Foods in New Orleans.
That used to be the box I got, I think couldn't remember the brand, I'll have to look around some more.

Thanks for reminding me.

What ratio do you mix it at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I don't measure the coffee or the chickory - livin' life on the edge!

Maybe a tablespoon or two of chickory per pot.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Jim, you disappoint me.

I have my morning visual of you reading HBT on the train and laughing and having strangers stealing glances at you and move away. I always enjoy that picture in my mind.

Now it turns out that you're just a relatively normal guy drinking coffee at home. I think I'm losing my crush..............

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

That picture is sadly too true and lifelike. Today, my eccentricities will manifest in different ways. Did I mention what I'm wearing while working from home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Jim, you disappoint me.

I have my morning visual of you reading HBT on the train and laughing and having strangers stealing glances at you and move away. I always enjoy that picture in my mind.

Now it turns out that you're just a relatively normal guy drinking coffee at home. I think I'm losing my crush..............

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love my CDM coffee with chickory...I drink it every morning. When I lived in Birmingham, AL, every time I visited New Orleans, I would pick up several pounds of CDM coffee.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

When I started college I hated coffee but necessity had to invent a way for me to drink it. Waffle House had chicory in their coffee and that was the only coffee that I even remotely liked...so coffee with chicory in it was what got me 'into' coffee. Now I LOVE coffee. But now when I drink chicory-laden coffee I can't stand it. Humans are weird.

Cafe Du Monde beignets are awesome!

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
That picture is sadly too true and lifelike. Today, my eccentricities will manifest in different ways. Did I mention what I'm wearing while working from home?
Ok. So, what are you wearing?

I'm also working from home today. I've also kegged a stout, and am about to wash some pacman yeast from my IIPA and dryhop that. I'm also fixing to retrieve my stirbar from the bottom of that yeast cake in the IIPA.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply