Power Ballads!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
I want to amass the ultimate power ballads playlists. List your favorite ballads here.

I've already got quite a bit of a list going, but I want to see what you guys have to say, so I'll only tell you my favorite.

The Scorpions - Wind of Change

Without You- Motley Crue
I'll Remember You- Skid Row
I Won't Forget You- Poison

And more I could think about if I wasn't so damn tired.

Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Guns & Roses - Patience
Lita Ford/Ozzy Osbourne - Close My Eyes Forever
Slaughter - Fly To The Angels
Poison - Something To Believe In
White Lion - When the Children Cry
Steelheart - Never Let You Go
Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got
Quiet Riot - Thunderbird
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
Rainbow - Street of Dreams

Wow, that's a helluva list so far, and almost none of those I have thusfar. And of course 'Every Rose Has its Thorns' counts, that's a staple.

I Would Do Anything For Love - Meatloaf

Does Aerosmith's "Dream On" count as a ballad?

If not, then I vote for "Angel."

Incidentally, you know that Dude DOES look like a lady now, right? A little old lady, to be specific.

steven_tyler_old_woman.jpg

That's Steven Tyler on the left.

Does Aerosmith's "Dream On" count as a ballad?

If not, then I vote for "Angel."

Incidentally, you know that Dude DOES look like a lady now, right? A little old lady, to be specific.

That's Steven Tyler on the left.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, so I'm just going to run with it. There is no way that's Steven Tyler. I mean, when I saw it, I thought, that woman looks like Steven Tyler, but still.

No, that's Steven Tyler. From the Globe.

Hmm. Judging from this photo of Steven Tyler and actor Chuck Slavin at Pembroke Center Liquors, the Aerosmith singer is indeed in no shape to continue the band's summer tour. Tyler's arm is in a sling as a result of a broken shoulder suffered when he fell off the stage in South Dakota. (Those Zsa Zsa Gabor glasses aren't doing him any favors.) In an apology over the weekend to fans via Twitter, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry made it sound like it wasn't his idea to cancel the remainder of the tour. "I am so sorry about vocalist Steven Tyler having to cancel our Aerosmith shows," wrote Perry. "I can't say I'm sorry enough you guys are great fans to have." Perry's solo CD "Have Guitar, Will Travel," featuring a German singer named Hagen, is out Oct. 13th.

What the heck is the definition of a ballad? I've heard lots of songs that people call ballads, but IMO don't really fit my definition. Classically, it was the structure of the poem, as well as content. It's pretty wide open nowadays.

I want to amass the ultimate power ballads playlists. List your favorite ballads here.

I've already got quite a bit of a list going, but I want to see what you guys have to say, so I'll only tell you my favorite.

The Scorpions - Wind of Change

thats not a power ballad

"Still Loving You" -- thats a power ballad

I'll get back to you on the ultimate power ballad later -- let me think on it first

Ok here's my take on it, a ballad does have to be about love but it doesn't necessarily have to be about love of a woman. But yeah it has to be a love song.

OK, here's the truth about the ultimate power ballad. The ultimate power ballad would have to be a song by the band that invented or perfected the power ballad -- Journey therefore the ultimate power ballad I nominate is "Open Arms"

It has to be from a band that normally does manly hardcore anthem or metal-type rock, that suddenly went all soft and emotional for a song or two because the lead singer got dumped by his girl... those are power ballads.:D

Ok here's my take on it, a ballad does have to be about love but it doesn't necessarily have to be about love of a woman. But yeah it has to be a love song.

There you have it. The first line in Dream On "Every time I look in the mirror", that's self love! Thus a power ballad!!

Wow, that's a helluva list so far, and almost none of those I have thusfar. And of course 'Every Rose Has its Thorns' counts, that's a staple.

I Would Do Anything For Love - Meatloaf

How can you mention Meat Loaf without "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"? It is one of the most touching and honest power ballads ever written :)

Don't forget "The Stroke" by Billy Squire. You can't get more touching than that.:p

Didn't Nelson have a few?... like "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"

Here's a great compilation of power ballads. It includes some of the more obscure ones like Dokken, Warrant, and Winger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steel Panther: Stripper Girl, Community Property, Fat Girl, Girl from Oklahoma.
**** yes.

Extreme - More Than Words
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Black Label Society - Spoke In The Wheel
Kiss - Beth

Back