Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > popping the question, how did you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Lagz0r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default popping the question, how did you do it?

So, I've just been wondering if anyone has any stories on how they asked their swmbo to marry them, or visa versa. I'm contemplating asking soon myself (fairly certain of it actually) and just wanted to see how it happened for you guys.

Lagz0r

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I just want to make clear that mine does not fit the acronym at all...

That said, I told her that since we hadn't been away for awhile we should go up to my cousin's Adirondack mountain cabin. I knew it would be beautiful with all of the snow and that no one would be around. On the second day, I told her I knew of a cool spot where we could do a little shooting and just hang out before heading into town for lunch. We trudged about 1/4 mile through the snow to the spot and did a little shooting with my handgun. My dog was scared **** and ran to my side, so I kneeled down to calm him. When I started asking whether he thought she was the one, she got a weird look on her face and looked down at me. The rest is history. Whenever we talk about it she says she still can't believe I tricked her into actually liking MY idea of the perfect proposal. Afterwards, we enjoyed an awesome dinner at the Great Adirondack Steakhouse and Brewery in Lake Placid. I think I did well .

Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3411 Times on 3140 Posts
Likes Given: 297

I came home from work. She was on the sofa and said, "You need to take time off in September. We're getting married. Here's the rings we're getting."

We started planning the wedding, decided to heck with all this and ran off to Arkansas. A week later, we came back married.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

We were looking at rings for a couple of months on and off (more on in her words). We had one that she liked for her, sans the stone (she wanted a bigger one, of course). I had that ring (sans the center stone) and I asked her when we were in her parents living room. She knew it was coming sometime soon, just didn't expect it that night. In about 2 days, we went to pick up the center stone. Now, after almost 17 years of marriage, she wants a bigger stone. But, she barely wears her wedding ring!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
btgold29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took my wife and a Nut Shell Pram (small wooden row boat) up north where it wasn't 110 degrees. We spent the weekend in a log cabin. The second day there I took her in the row boat out into the middle of the lake. After about 10 minutes I noticed the back of the boat started taking on a little water. At first I thought it was just a little from our shoes or what not from when we got in it, but then my feet started getting wet. I was thinking to my self " I better Sh!t or get off the pot!" cause this things going down!.. I popped the question and started rowing back. At this point her butt was getting wet because she was sitting on the floor. When we got back to the shore there was a solid 6" of water in the boat and i had all i could do to pull it out of the water. We laughed, and spent the afternoon fishing! She caught all the fish, all of em! It was a happy day.

Good luck to you sir, If you choose this method, use a known leak free boat.

We have been happily married two years

Carboy 1 Kern Citra Clone
Carboy 2 "
Carboy 3 Baby Honey Barley Wine
Carboy 4 Amerish Brown
Carboy 5 Amerish Brown

Keg 1 House Pale Ale
Keg 2 House pale Ale dry hopped
Keg 3 French Saison
Keg 4 American Stout

Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1391 Times on 1285 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Me: All messed up on Percocet after the torturous birth of our first child.
Mr.: "Let's get married. We can live in my parents' basement."
Me: "OK."

I don't suggest this method.
Here's a pic that my son took. It wasn't how he proposed, but I think it would have been a nice way to do it.

484160_3194297586576_46405475_n.jpg  

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1332

I checked the hydrometer for three days...

Actually, it was on a cliff near Carlsbad California. Many years later, the late great Junior Seau drove his car off the same spot. Between the two of us, perhaps his was the better plan. (okay, that's over the top, sorry 55).

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
DuckiesRevenge
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dark outside at 8 o'clock at night on the top of a frozen waterfall in -30 windchill. Full moon over head. I almost didn't get her out of the car to walk the .5 miles to the falls. In the end she said she was glad she did.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 26

we were sitting down having a conversation and she decided that we wanted to get married. we met in april got married in december and that was 13 years ago. she was 19 and I was 21

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

We had talked about marriage long before it happened but we were going to wait until after I finished law school because planning a wedding is a lot of work (and while I'm in law school she is in an MBA program). In my first year of school I was going to school part time and working full time. I wanted to stop working and go to school full time but it didn't really make sense for me to pay for my own apartment when she owns a house. The problem is that her parents are very conservative and living together before marriage would be a huge problem. So while we were talking about it on the phone one night I came up with the idea to pitch moving in together as a short term solution before a much sooner marriage. She agreed. So that's the actual proposal. (It ended up working out. Her parents didn't like the idea but we told them I was sleeping in the guest bedroom until we got married. Eventually they got over it and we got married eight months after I moved in.)

The romantic version is a lot nicer. It was December and right after finals. I had obtained the ring about a week prior. While she was at work one day I scrambled around town to coordinate buying her Christmas gift and preparing to propose. I made dinner with one dish that was part of the first Valentine's Day meal I cooked for us and one dish that was new to us but we really wanted to try (it was beef wellington and lemon risotto, if you were wondering). I had flowers and lit candles all over the dining room table. I flipped off all the lights. She came in, saw the candles and started crying. I sat her down, got down on one knee, said some nice things and offered the ring. Yeah, it was traditional and cliche but it's a better story than the first one.

That was a year and a half ago.

Quick Reply