Poping the big ? to the girlfrend.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnyard

Reaction score
So I think this year is going to be the year that I pop the big one. I'm going to make a really fancy jewelery box and put the ring in side. I'm going to make the box out of blood wood,purple heart, and zebra. Her Dad said he will help me and I'm going to get her Uncle to turn some dowels for the neck-less holders and a few other things. I'm going to try to get her Brother and my Dad to make something for the box as well. Its going to be a family project. What do Ya'll think about that? Is that a little to much?

So I think this year is going to be the year that I pop the big one. I'm going to make a really fancy jewelery box and put the ring in side. I'm going to make the box out of blood wood,purple heart, and zebra. Her Dad said he will help me and I'm going to get her Uncle to turn some dowels for the neck-less holders and a few other things. I'm going to try to get her Brother and my Dad to make something for the box as well. Its going to be a family project. What do Ya'll think about that? Is that a little to much?

Hell no! You obviously have her dad's approval (and her brother too!) already before you asked her... and that's awesome... It's the traditional way..

I think that's a totally awesome thing that you are all working on this together, and I bet she will too!
:mug:

Hell no! You obviously have her dad's approval (and her brother too!) already before you asked her... and that's awesome... It's the traditional way..

I think that's a totally awesome thing that you are all working on this together, and I bet she will too!

From the elaborate plan (chicks dig that stuff), to doing it yourself, to involving her dad and bro, that's a great idea. Go get on it!

There is only one issue with your plan.

Someone might slip up and spoil the surprise.

Otherwise its a great plan. Chicks dig that stuff.

Getting the family involved in making a "keepsake/heirloom" to put the ring in is a fantastic idea IMHO.

I had similar situation, I knew my wife's family for almost 10 yrs before I got down on one knee. She is the younger sister of my college roommate and best friend. We started dating 5 yrs. after school. I was like another son/brother to her parents and brothers before we ever started dating. And 11 yrs. married never the happier. Good luck.

You're dealing with a woman. Can anything be too much? Of course not! Those vile, soul suckers continually under appreciate any step or dollar you make. Just remember from here on out you will be judged by your proposal. "He was so sweet when he proposed. Now all he does is____ and he doesn't even___!!" Either make it huge or make it minuscule I guess.

Oh yea, congrats.

You're poping the question? You're going to become a catholic priest or something and want her to know it's over? Sorry I'm just being a spelling ass... Your idea sounds excellent. They seem to love that type of stuff with lots of thought and planning involved.

Yea when I started dating her her dad told me I better ask him first. It was great conversation starter hay I'm making this box would u like to help can I marry your daughter?
Thank for all the input anyone ever work with those types of wood?

from what I hear the dust is toxic too. I have a zebrawood and babinga tap handle. Good luck. I'll be doing it shortly too. Just havin a hard time parting with that much money on someone other than myself.. I'm not a selfish person but damn that's a lot of coin.

from what I hear the dust is toxic too. I have a zebrawood and babinga tap handle. Good luck. I'll be doing it shortly too. Just havin a hard time parting with that much money on someone other than myself.. I'm not a selfish person but damn that's a lot of coin.

I think you have to use a dust mask when you cut it. I feel you on the money part. I'm thinking about making 4-5 Boxes and sell the rest of them to help with the cost of the ring and the box. The cost for the wood is about $50 not to bad but if I make more of them it will drop the price down to $30 each.

Just a thought here, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but some of the exotic woods are expensive because they're logged illegally in destructive ways... maybe something to check on to make sure you're not contributing to the ruination of the planet's resources.

I just made a mistake. My wife saw me reading this, saw the title and wanted to poke her nose into your business. What follows is the cliff notes version of what we discussed. And me being one of many brainless husbands (you'll join the club soon enough), I have to let you know of this. From one man to another I'm sorry...

How are you going to propose? What will you say? Where are you going to do it? What's the ring look like? When I proposed to my wife she said she never did care what the box looked like, nor did her friends. She threw that thing into a closet somewhere and I haven't seen it since.

I think the fact that you are making it yourself will carry GREAT sentimental value - something you can give your future son when he proposes or future son-in-law when he asks for your blessing... but for the most part, GFs are weird and so are their friends. My wife says that when your GF tells her friends that you proposed they could care less what the box looks like. Make sure you put as much effort into the actual proposal and how you do it as you are in making this box. It'll make all of her friends jealous. For me, this part was great because with her friends jealous it made her feel like a queen and I felt like the world was at my fingertips every time she told the story.

All girls and relationships are different, but in a nutshell I proposed at my graduation in front of 3,000 people. My wife's exact words: "You could of pulled the ring out of your ear and I wouldn't of cared."

I'm really hoping no one in your family breaks their silence. The more people that know and want to help the more likely it'll reach your girlfriend. Congratulations I'm sure she'll love whatever you make and I'm sure we all would love to see photos (I personally don't care about seeing photos but my wife wants to see them.)

Gregger THANK YOU for the cliff notes. You said a mouth full! As far as what the ring looks like she has one picked out. Her sister is going with me when I go get the ring. I know it is round with a diamond at the top. (Yea I don’t know what it looks like) What will I say? I really don’t know, but I’m working on that. So the less I say the better off I am. I’m better with my hands than with writing and thinking of the right thing to say. Now as far as Where, I’m thinking about doing it at her Brothers house in Connecticut. Her family is going out there at the end of summer. I’m going to mail it there and give it to here there. That way she won’t know it is going to happen. I don’t think the box is just something to present the ring in it is going to be 16’’ tall and 12’’ wide and 8’’ deep. I would like it be displayed on a dresser or something like that. I want her to use it for the rest of her life kind of thing. As for what it looks like I found some plains on line but I’m still not %100 on this unit. I’m going to change several things and add to the top and feet. Or I might find something I like better and just change the whole thing.
Gregger thank you and your wife for the input I still have a lot of things to think of and do.

Cheers Kevin

pr_70.jpg

Just a thought here, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but some of the exotic woods are expensive because they're logged illegally in destructive ways... maybe something to check on to make sure you're not contributing to the ruination of the planet's resources.

Before I buy any wood I will ask the man at the lumber yard if the trees were logged illegally.

Just to throw an experience from a friend of mines proposal out there...

They often went to the cliffs at Palos Verdes Ca (overlooking the Los Angeles bay area) to hang out and talk... It was a regular thing for them, so she suspected nothing..

When they got there, there was a rental truck sitting there, seemingly unattended.. Parked out on the dirt... You know, the kind of truck that you would rent to move in.. with the box on the back and the roll up door...

Anyways, after a bit, he steered her as they were walking along, to walk past the back of the truck.. When they got close, the back opened up and two of his buddies were dressed in white tuxes, with towels over their arms, and inside the truck was a full table and settings, with a candle lit dinner on the table... in the center was the ring box...

She was 'blown away!' It didn't cost a whole lot, but it was very creative, very romantic, and something they will never forget... I think you could easily modify such a thing to your trip.. The fact that relatives and what not will be there, gives you an easy pool of 'partners in crime' to work with..

May God bless both of you in your life together....... May it be filled with laughter, romance, self sacrifice, children, memories, health, and long years...

Remember this... A man who treats his wife like a slave, makes him nothing more than a slave master.. But a man who treats his wife as a queen, makes him a 'king'...:
mug:

r8rphan as if I don't have the squirrels running on over drive right now but you just sent them on a turbo charge. That just gave me some good ideas. Thank you!

r8rphan as if I don't have the squirrels running on over drive right now but you just sent them on a turbo charge. That just gave me some good ideas. Thank you!

You're welcome! From just the few words of your you have posted here, I have a hunch that you're gonna do just fine.. now and on into the future!

Back