The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Political Threads / Religious Threads

View Poll Results: Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them. 80 59.26%
No, Do not allow them. 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #21
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I say allow them. I like to mingle a bit in the political threads but I don't usually take part in religious discussions because I'm a little too left brained to argue logic vs faith. As far as politics go, I find it extremely interesting reading what people's real-life opinions are that are removed from my geological area. As long as the conversation remains detached from strong emotions I can participate but if it goes to anger, well then it's just the same as a religious discussion to me. I have no interest in debating opinions that aren't based on sound reasoning. You guys go ahead, but I'll just bow out.

An example of political discussions I've enjoyed would be the threads on legal and illegal immigration. Here in Canada we don't have the same issues as Americans in the south or those in England but there are some common themes. As a person who leans fairly far left I couldn't help but wonder if some of my own beliefs weren't founded while being the idealist on the outside looking in. I haven't actually changed my basic opinion on most matters, but I feel my horizons were expanded at least to the point where I know some of the issues around the dissenting views. Heck, I don't think I even posted in those threads. I just wanted to hear what people had to say.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #22
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am for allowing them.

Without political threads most of the laws on restricting homebrewing and shipping of said "Live Yeast Samples" would be unknown to us noobs and rookies. The political threads also allow members to post local, state, and federal issues that might be coming up in the near future. This is a great way to pass on information to other members and hopefully stop any ridiculous or harsh laws.

Religious threads might be harder to justify as religion is not set in stone for the average person and typically becomes a heated topic quickly. This would justify moderation by higher-ups but does not mean that the threads should be forbidden.

Unfortunately, our monitors are not able to display the nuances and jests that might be in posts and therefore the response can become "offensive". What is needed is an open mind of the reader to the poster's intended meaning, not excessive censorship. We are personally responsible for how we take others opinions. If you don't fully understand what someone means by their post, PM them for more clarity and understanding.

"Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one and they are usually full of something."

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I voted no mostly because I don't care about US politics or about religion - I'm here for the beer discussion. That said if they are confined to a single forum that I can filter out of the new posts screen I have no problem with them being on here.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I voted yes. I like the debates and agree that for the most part they start well and receive honest and productive debate but later devolve into banter and name calling. I think for the most they are a positive thing.

I really like the idea of a subforum. That way those who don't like the debates can more easily steer clear and all the hostilities can be contained. I vote Evan! as the new moderator

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #25
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
not to start this discussion here...but this is a privately owned non-governmental non tax funded web site and censorship is 100% acceptable.
Correction: 100% legal. Acceptable? Well, that's for each of us to come to our own conclusions about.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #26
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I sure do believe that one can allow the discourse of politics and religion, while still enforcing a No-Flaming policy. The trick for people is to learn how to disagree without being ugly.

The trick for the moderators, I suppose, is to gauge when an argument crosses the line between attacking a position and attacking the person.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
not to start this discussion here...but this is a privately owned non-governmental non tax funded web site and censorship is 100% acceptable.
BigK, no argument there, except for the acceptable part. My thinking is, I have found this place to be an exceptional gathering of reasonable, kind people. Why shut down certain portions of it because some of us want to travel down the highway toward being childish?

I don't want to make more work for the mods, but it sure seems like they're well on top of things.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I voted to allow although I think a third option of "Allow but restrict to their own forum" would be more accurate for my opinion.

My take on censorship as a whole is that each of us should be responsible for censoring ourselves. If reading other people's politicial or religious views has a tendency to make you angry than guess what, DON'T READ THEM. It's really that simple.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if the mods do limit political/religious discussions to a separate forum I fully support punishing those who carry those conversations into other parts of the site.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #29
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I guess my thought is why have it here? On the other had if people want to do that go right ahead I mostly avoid such things anyway. I'm here for the beer and the women damnit!!

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

+1 Yooper There are plenty of forums out there for those discussions. Since they generally degenerate to insults of intelligence, logic, or lack of it, race or belief there is no reason to have them on a beer forum. Every one of us fit into at least one of the above categories but we have a common theme here, brewing. Now discussing brewing law is a little different because the laws of brewing concern us all. But outside of brewing law is something you need to discuss with your congressmen.
Tex I think if you want to have a rel/pol forum it should be members only and be shown but only opened to members. The members here are intelligent and opinionated. While heated discussions due ensue sometimes there is usually no name calling. Most members have or have learned the fine art of wordplay. No one wants to be banned. I find this hilarious and usually cant stop reading the thread. The private forum idea would keep your average malcontent from degenerating a sensitive thread and possibly generate a bit of revenue. My .02

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply