HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Political Threads / Religious Threads
View Poll Results: Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them. 80 59.26%
No, Do not allow them. 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Rezilynt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I wish I could vote yes but after the last couple ones, I have to say no. It wasn't what was said in the threads but the fact that I saw it carry over into other threads.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

allow them but add an icon that clearly marks such threads. its hard to ban such discussion as just about everything has a political side, a lot of rants that turn up in the chit chat sections often turn into political debates so I dont think you can get rid of them but allowing people to mark them clearly is a good idea.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 123 Posts

i don't care either way. they are entertaining to read sometimes, but i rarely participate.

but...your question is kind of confusing...allow them or not allow them...not really yes/no question

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My vote is allow them, but confine them to a specific Politics/Religion subforum. I personally steer clear of them in general, but if others want to go off it doesn't bother me.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezilynt View Post
I wish I could vote yes but after the last couple ones, I have to say no. It wasn't what was said in the threads but the fact that I saw it carry over into other threads.
That is exactly right. This is a knife that strikes a pretty deep wound when improperly wielded. Like My Signature says...I'm here for beer. I'm pretty opinionated, and I tend to harbor pretty hard feelings against people that get stupid and start name calling and mud slinging in a conversation.

I just try and avoid it all because I want to be able to beer swap with everyone on this forum without worrying that someone may be trying to poison me for my political views. I say that in jest...but really, I want to be friends with everyone here, there is no need to start any conversation or take part in any that is bound to become divisive.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have yet to see one of these threads end well. I know people like to talk about their opinions and beliefs, I just don't know how to keep these discussions from getting out of hand in a hurry so I have to vote to eliminate them.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Betcha can't guess which way I voted...

I like political threads; I like getting differing viewpoints on some issues, and to be honest with you, I've altered the way I think about some things in part because of the debates I've engaged in here. If that's not a positive element, I don't know what is. Of course, as Lorena says, we can just go somewhere else to get our political debate---but to be completely honest with you, there's not too many other places on teh interwebz that are as civilized and fun to banter with. I'd challenge anyone who thinks that our debates here are out of hand to check out any of the thousands of political forums out there, and then still tell me they think we have a serious problem. Really, I think that the rather tame arguments that we get into here have the tendency to devolve over time, but that's usually because the meat of the debate has been rehashed and rehashed so much already that the participants have nothing more to debate than semantics or logical-conclusions or, unfortunately, personal attacks. As long as that is policed, I don't see a problem.

To the point about losing respect for someone because you get to see their ugly side, well, I have to say that banning political threads just so that you only get to see the peachy side of people is a bit troublesome if you ask me. If someone's an asshole, then they're an asshole. Talking about the technicalities of homebrewing doesn't usually bring out the asshole in people, but that doesn't mean they're any less of one. If your respect of someone is based only on a portion of their personality, and you'd rather just keep a paper bag over the other side so you don't have to see it, then I'd say that that's not a very meaningful interaction. Or, inversely, if you can't respect someone because they have different beliefs and ideals, and would rather just talk about beer, then I'd say you might have some growing up to do. Either that, or just avoid the political threads. As for religious threads, I don't see how that's an issue since there's one of those maybe every 6 months that I can see. Not exactly a pressing issue.

All in all, I feel like the policing needs to be much more refined than it has been in the past...much more savvy. I can't tell you how to do that, but I can say that, in the past, the policing has seemed very subjective and selective. I've never gotten an infraction or a suspension or anything, but apparently there are some people who feel like I should have tons---or that I'm a step away from one. Is any of this communicated in a clear, objective manner? I don't think it is. And this creates problems, simply because it almost leaves an invisible threshold out there that nobody really knows when they're going to pass. Certainly, there are things that are obviously deserving of infractions or suspensions---but there are other things that could probably be addressed with a simple "hey, watch it, this is your last warning" kind of thing. It just doesn't seem to me, someone who's been around for about 2 years now, that there's any universal protocol for these things, and that worries me---not because I'm scared of getting the whip cracked on myself (who knows, I might), but because it can drive otherwise good people away from the site because they can't deal with the constant ambiguity. And lastly, I think that it is of utmost importance to maintain at least the appearance of objectivity from those policing the place---and when moderators are actively involved in debates, it threatens that concept.

I'm of the firm opinion that the OT banter, including political discussion, is one of the cornerstones that make this place enjoyable to frequent---and that eliminating them altogether is NOT the answer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3532 Times on 3417 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have to side with Evan! on this one. Not allowing them is a sort of censorship, no? Something like, say, prohibition.

The mods surely have to keep an eye on things, thus making an already large job larger. But civil people (as we all are) should be able to have civil discussions.

That said, I stay away from any political and religious topics. Too personal for me.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Have to side with Evan! on this one. Not allowing them is a sort of censorship, no?
not to start this discussion here...but this is a privately owned non-governmental non tax funded web site and censorship is 100% acceptable.
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
and the fact is: Limiting the freedom of either the owner or the designated Moderators to censor the content of a private forum is in and of itself a violation of the first amendment.
The Freedom of speech ONLY pertains to the Government passing LAWS that forbid you to speak your mind. It does NOT guarantee you a Public Forum to do so.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think they're entertaining. I don't post in them too often, but they're a great diversion and I often learn new things.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply