Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Political Threads / Religious Threads
View Poll Results: Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them. 80 59.26%
No, Do not allow them. 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #101
Philip1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,658
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Not only does the poll indicate that non-brew discussions are popular, the site stats seem to back it up:


Forum......................Threads......Views

General Chit Chat.......4,770.........88,011
Drunken Ramblings......2,282.........45,984

Top 25 Prosted thread (8/25)
6 How to Roast a Whole Pig
10 &^$% code enforcement
12 SWMBO
14 1000 Posts
16 Posters
17 Kittay thread
23 Work
25 Women

__________________
Philip1993 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #102
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,901
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
Check out the poll - 2:1
In general, the majority of people tend not to favor censorship, so the poll numbers don't surprise me one bit. Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor. It's more about convenience than anything else---they don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of OT links on the new posts page, so they think OT talk should be banned. It reminds me of lazy parents who don't want to have to program their V-chip or actually pay attention to the video games their kids are watching, they'd rather have them banned altogether. Now, I'm not equating this to a first amendment issue---Tx has the right under the law to do whatever he wants, as it's his forum. I'm just saying that those who favor censorship tend to think (erroneously, in my opinion) that blanket censorship is an easier solution since it does their own job for them. I, on the other hand, tend to think that one-size-fits-all censorship of this kind is far too heavy-handed, like using a wrecking ball to squish some flies. The problem is, that wrecking ball not only gets the flies, it wrecks the building too. So why not use a fly swatter on the flies, and let the building remain standing?
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
Evan! is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #103
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

The topic is
Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

There is no need to campaign either way.

__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #104
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,901
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
The topic is
Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

There is no need to campaign either way.
Then Tx should have said "no comments, just vote" from the outset if that's what he had in mind.
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
Evan! is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #105
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick_R's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 964
Default

Quote:
Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor.
However, another valid rational for a "no" vote are those who can't self-censor their own comments, and with any highly-polarizing topic quickly degenerate into name calling.

I voted no because, in general, this site is more civil than most. That changes when religion or politics is the subject. That there is no regard or respect for another's opinion is already apparent with many even when religion or politics isn't particularly the subject; there are those whose posts clearly indicate they have no sensitivity to what others think or believe. I'm not sure the usefulness of a discussion in which one side has disdain and disregard for the other person's opinion, even if they keep it civil.

Rick
__________________
Rick_R is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #106
adrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Thomas, KY
Posts: 732
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
The topic is
Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

There is no need to campaign either way.
I agree, let's end all discussion on this internet forum [/sarcasm]
__________________
On Tap: American Barleywine, English Bitter, Irish Red Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Brewing: English Bitter, Hopped-up Amber
Up Next: Old Ale, West Coast IPA
adrock is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #107
Displaced MassHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,154
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I voted to allow them only for the sake of not censoring anyones thoughts/opions. That being said this is a beer forum, so as long as they're posted in the right place then ehhh what the hell?

__________________
Displaced MassHole is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #108
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,090
Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
In general, the majority of people tend not to favor censorship, so the poll numbers don't surprise me one bit. Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor. It's more about convenience than anything else---they don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of OT links on the new posts page, so they think OT talk should be banned. It reminds me of lazy parents who don't want to have to program their V-chip or actually pay attention to the video games their kids are watching, they'd rather have them banned altogether. Now, I'm not equating this to a first amendment issue---Tx has the right under the law to do whatever he wants, as it's his forum. I'm just saying that those who favor censorship tend to think (erroneously, in my opinion) that blanket censorship is an easier solution since it does their own job for them. I, on the other hand, tend to think that one-size-fits-all censorship of this kind is far too heavy-handed, like using a wrecking ball to squish some flies. The problem is, that wrecking ball not only gets the flies, it wrecks the building too. So why not use a fly swatter on the flies, and let the building remain standing?
A huge +1 on that!

By and large we tend to think of eachother as friends here. This is a very civilised forum by any standards of the interweb. By limiting our scope of conversation I feel that any sense of friendship would be deminished, even if we disagree at times. There are plenty of people that I like in the real world too that I disagree with all the time. The diversity in our opinions is what often keeps us talking to each other. There are people at work that I only talk to about work matters, (Relate that analogy to brewing) I call these people "colleagues".....Colleagues are fine, and a useful resource, but I always have room for a new friend, whether they are right wing, left wing, religous, gay, straight.....etc etc.

In summary, is this forum intended to be simply a brewing resource? Or a brewing resource where people with a shared interest can also shoot the breeze with other brewers hat they cannot find in the real world because of the lack of local homebrewers? If it is intended to be the former, then I can just download the entire catalogue of Jamil podcasts.
__________________
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #109
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,090
Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
The topic is
Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

There is no need to campaign either way.
No more campaigning from me then!

Can I just vote twice instead?
__________________
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #110
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,901
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
However, another valid rational for a "no" vote are those who can't self-censor their own comments, and with any highly-polarizing topic quickly degenerate into name calling.
No, that's a valid rationale for A) leaving the thread quickly if you don't care to witness said name-calling, or B) a moderator to step in and either warn the involved parties or just close the thread if it's too far out of control. A few bad apples with poor self-control should not spoil the fun for everyone else who wishes to discuss political matters in a civil manner.

Quote:
I voted no because, in general, this site is more civil than most. That changes when religion or politics is the subject. That there is no regard or respect for another's opinion is already apparent with many even when religion or politics isn't particularly the subject; there are those whose posts clearly indicate they have no sensitivity to what others think or believe. I'm not sure the usefulness of a discussion in which one side has disdain and disregard for the other person's opinion, even if they keep it civil.
First off, the "religion" issue is nothing but a red herring here. As I said earlier, there's a religious discussion with traction maybe once every 4-6 months. Secondly, there are surely those people who don't have "sensitivity" to what others believe, but again, I don't see that as a valid reason to ban all political discussion simply because you don't find it "useful". How "useful" is it to have a thread about f*ckin' LOLcats or parody motivational posters or music-match or **********?

Again, I favor less regulation and more moderation, because it puts the responsibility in one's own hands. This is true in life and in these forums. Seeing people bicker bitterly or even get nasty doesn't bother me---I just try to stay out of it---but even if it did bother me, I'd have the effin' self-control to steer clear of political threads. It is little surprise to me that most of the people who favor a ban are the ones who don't usually participate in the first place---but it does strike me as curious why none of those people feel like they have enough self-control to just stay the hell away from that which bothers them.
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
Evan! is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Threads SERIOUSLY!! cheezydemon General Chit Chat 21 01-18-2008 03:22 PM
Best Threads Brewpastor General Chit Chat 11 08-08-2006 02:08 AM