Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Political Threads / Religious Threads
View Poll Results: Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them. 80 59.26%
No, Do not allow them. 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #101
Philip1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not only does the poll indicate that non-brew discussions are popular, the site stats seem to back it up:

Forum......................Threads......Views

General Chit Chat.......4,770.........88,011
Drunken Ramblings......2,282.........45,984

Top 25 Prosted thread (8/25)
6 How to Roast a Whole Pig
10 &^$% code enforcement
12 SWMBO
14 1000 Posts
16 Posters
17 Kittay thread
23 Work
25 Women

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #102
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
Check out the poll - 2:1
In general, the majority of people tend not to favor censorship, so the poll numbers don't surprise me one bit. Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor. It's more about convenience than anything else---they don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of OT links on the new posts page, so they think OT talk should be banned. It reminds me of lazy parents who don't want to have to program their V-chip or actually pay attention to the video games their kids are watching, they'd rather have them banned altogether. Now, I'm not equating this to a first amendment issue---Tx has the right under the law to do whatever he wants, as it's his forum. I'm just saying that those who favor censorship tend to think (erroneously, in my opinion) that blanket censorship is an easier solution since it does their own job for them. I, on the other hand, tend to think that one-size-fits-all censorship of this kind is far too heavy-handed, like using a wrecking ball to squish some flies. The problem is, that wrecking ball not only gets the flies, it wrecks the building too. So why not use a fly swatter on the flies, and let the building remain standing?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #103
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The topic is
Political Threads / Religious Threads
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

There is no need to campaign either way.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #104
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
The topic is
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

Then Tx should have said "no comments, just vote" from the outset if that's what he had in mind.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #105
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor.
However, another valid rational for a "no" vote are those who can't self-censor their own comments, and with any highly-polarizing topic quickly degenerate into name calling.

I voted no because, in general, this site is more civil than most. That changes when religion or politics is the subject. That there is no regard or respect for another's opinion is already apparent with many even when religion or politics isn't particularly the subject; there are those whose posts clearly indicate they have no sensitivity to what others think or believe. I'm not sure the usefulness of a discussion in which one side has disdain and disregard for the other person's opinion, even if they keep it civil.

Rick

Old 08-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #106
adrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The topic is
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

I agree, let's end all discussion on this internet forum [/sarcasm]

Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #107
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I voted to allow them only for the sake of not censoring anyones thoughts/opions. That being said this is a beer forum, so as long as they're posted in the right place then ehhh what the hell?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #108
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
In general, the majority of people tend not to favor censorship, so the poll numbers don't surprise me one bit. Unfortunately, I find that much of the time (not always, of course), those who do favor censorship do so because they're too lazy to self-censor. It's more about convenience than anything else---they don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of OT links on the new posts page, so they think OT talk should be banned. It reminds me of lazy parents who don't want to have to program their V-chip or actually pay attention to the video games their kids are watching, they'd rather have them banned altogether. Now, I'm not equating this to a first amendment issue---Tx has the right under the law to do whatever he wants, as it's his forum. I'm just saying that those who favor censorship tend to think (erroneously, in my opinion) that blanket censorship is an easier solution since it does their own job for them. I, on the other hand, tend to think that one-size-fits-all censorship of this kind is far too heavy-handed, like using a wrecking ball to squish some flies. The problem is, that wrecking ball not only gets the flies, it wrecks the building too. So why not use a fly swatter on the flies, and let the building remain standing?
A huge +1 on that!

By and large we tend to think of eachother as friends here. This is a very civilised forum by any standards of the interweb. By limiting our scope of conversation I feel that any sense of friendship would be deminished, even if we disagree at times. There are plenty of people that I like in the real world too that I disagree with all the time. The diversity in our opinions is what often keeps us talking to each other. There are people at work that I only talk to about work matters, (Relate that analogy to brewing) I call these people "colleagues".....Colleagues are fine, and a useful resource, but I always have room for a new friend, whether they are right wing, left wing, religous, gay, straight.....etc etc.

In summary, is this forum intended to be simply a brewing resource? Or a brewing resource where people with a shared interest can also shoot the breeze with other brewers hat they cannot find in the real world because of the lack of local homebrewers? If it is intended to be the former, then I can just download the entire catalogue of Jamil podcasts.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #109
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
The topic is
Yes, Allow them.
No, Do not allow them.

No more campaigning from me then!

Can I just vote twice instead?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #110
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
However, another valid rational for a "no" vote are those who can't self-censor their own comments, and with any highly-polarizing topic quickly degenerate into name calling.
No, that's a valid rationale for A) leaving the thread quickly if you don't care to witness said name-calling, or B) a moderator to step in and either warn the involved parties or just close the thread if it's too far out of control. A few bad apples with poor self-control should not spoil the fun for everyone else who wishes to discuss political matters in a civil manner.

Quote:
I voted no because, in general, this site is more civil than most. That changes when religion or politics is the subject. That there is no regard or respect for another's opinion is already apparent with many even when religion or politics isn't particularly the subject; there are those whose posts clearly indicate they have no sensitivity to what others think or believe. I'm not sure the usefulness of a discussion in which one side has disdain and disregard for the other person's opinion, even if they keep it civil.
First off, the "religion" issue is nothing but a red herring here. As I said earlier, there's a religious discussion with traction maybe once every 4-6 months. Secondly, there are surely those people who don't have "sensitivity" to what others believe, but again, I don't see that as a valid reason to ban all political discussion simply because you don't find it "useful". How "useful" is it to have a thread about f*ckin' LOLcats or parody motivational posters or music-match or **********?

Again, I favor less regulation and more moderation, because it puts the responsibility in one's own hands. This is true in life and in these forums. Seeing people bicker bitterly or even get nasty doesn't bother me---I just try to stay out of it---but even if it did bother me, I'd have the effin' self-control to steer clear of political threads. It is little surprise to me that most of the people who favor a ban are the ones who don't usually participate in the first place---but it does strike me as curious why none of those people feel like they have enough self-control to just stay the hell away from that which bothers them.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Closed Thread

Quick Reply