Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Police steal homebrew equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
themadvaper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Police steal homebrew equipment

This is absolutely unconstitutional and outright theft. A gateway to prohibition? Maybe

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...aid-apartment/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Not defending any part of Chicago (okay, I am, I guess) but these people were under suspicion of making molotov cocktails to use in their protesting activities, at a NATO conference. This is one time that the police will not screw around with maybes. The owner of the equipment was opening his home to them, so he included himself in their activities, whatever they were.

Whether they were actually making anything illegal or dangerous, they were suspected, so their home was raided under legal pretense (the validity of which can be argued all day as I'm sure the suspects and thousands of readers will). This isn't a story of police seizing a guy's homebrew equipment because he's making beer. The story is biased toward the defendants for sure, and the part about the equipment being seized is just included to push the reader further in that direction.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
drinking12many
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I gotta go with Silver on this one. If the police don't have a warrant and you let them in your technically stupid to start with which is how the story makes it sound. They just dont randomly assume people are making molotov cocktails. There must have been a snitch, lead, or something to lead them in that direction. They probably just werent sure what was in the equipment and had to take it for testing. If its beer and they are cleared he will be entitled to get it back.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
wegz15
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

They said on the news here they were planning on attacking police, the mayors home, and obamas chicago campaign office.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
btamacker
Recipes 

Silver hit the nail on the head. The police do not just go all willy-nilly from door to door asking to search a residence. One thing that sticks out to me is one of the ones arrested lied about having a criminal history. The reporter found out and called him out. Do idiots like this not understand that their arrest records are PUBLIC? Plus, with the NATO conference in town, they will not hesitate to act on information about possible terrorist activity. And as 12many sated, if the owner of the equipment is cleared of wrongdoing, he will get his equipment back.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
themadvaper
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You all make some pretty good points. And I don't disagree on them. But I do believe that the cops knew full well that the carboys etc. we're filled with beer, not the ingredients for molotov cocktails, and seizing them was purely punitive in nature, and I highly doubt he'll get them back ( undamaged). If at all. And if he does get it back with the beer he'd be a complete idiot to drink it . But then again he was an idiot to let them in without a warrant in the first place, so if he ends up bottling Chicagos finest piss, then he deserves what he gets.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadvaper View Post
But I do believe that the cops knew full well that the carboys etc. we're filled with beer, not the ingredients for molotov cocktails, and seizing them was purely punitive in nature, and I highly doubt he'll get them back ( undamaged). If at all.
How would they know that? You know that the stuff in carboys is usually beer, but the vast majority of the public has never brewed and would look at a carboy and think "WTF is in there?"

Fake it til you make it.

drinking12many Likes This 
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
wegz15
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

If they were planning on bombing they deserve what they got. I'm a fireman in the chicago area. Protesters have been bottling bodily fluids to throw at first responders.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

So, if the police suspect me of being a protester, they can legally seize my car because it has gasoline in it?

I have no love for terrorist activities, but this sounds like a serious violation of due process.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
prochlea
Recipes 

When this first came out, it seemed like the cops were being crazy and accusing a home brewer. After more details have come out, the guys being charged were guests in the brewers home, the cops have been following these guys for a week or two, have recordings of them planning to ambush several locations, have evidence of them recruiting people to help with the attacks, and have evidence of them bringing back a gas can for the Molotov cocktails. If it was purely a case of ignorance on the cops, I don't think they would be coming out with these charges. I'm not saying the guys are guilty, who knows.... It just seems like it would have blown over if it was just Homebrewing.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS