planning a homestead, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have just about finished our move. Our house in Alaska will close on October 9th and we are placing a bid on a 10 acre farm in Prescott Valley. here in AZ. It's already fenced and set up for animals, with 4 separate pastures, barn, shelters, hay barn and quarantine pen with shelter. It has a great well, just need to add Solar Power and be completely off the grid!

It has a nice bunk house that just needs a a new fridge and I have plans to convert it into my man cave/brewery! The bunk house is about 1000sqft, needs some TLC but its got a 3 burner stove (propane), air conditioning, sleeps up to 4 people, room for a table, chairs, has its own full bathroom, I couldn't ask for much more! The lady selling the place has some Hops growing on the North side of the house that her ex planted but she doesn't know what they are.

The property has an orchard; apples, pears, plums and peaches bordered with grape vines.

Hey another bubblehead on the forums, sounds great, even though it sounds like your a boomer rider. 😜

Yeah, old boomer sailor, started as a FTB and then we were all combined into MT. None of my boats exist anymore.

We're moved in. We inherited 7 Alpacas, 2 Great Pyrenees Livestock Guard Dogs, 11 assorted Chickens and 1 evil Barn Cat.

Emphasize native plants and trees ... veg, fruit, nuts ... less problems all the way around. Maybe check with the local agricultural extension agent at the nearest university.

I don't have any experience by would you milk them also or strictly meat? Fresh milk and cheese would be good

Thinking about some meat goats - suggestions?

Make sure you like goat first.
Jerked goat and curried goat are good bets.

Goat vindaloo.

You might try and find some goat or at least mutton in advance to make sure you and any family will find it palatable.

Goat is pretty tasty, tastes like a fattier lamb. If strictly for meat I would say you want boar goats, full blooded or cross breed. If you want both milk and meat you can cross a boar with a Nubian. Goat poop also makes great compost, just have to break it up since it is like pebbles. My dad always dries it then tosses it in his shredder with the other compost.

Thinking about some meat goats - suggestions?

Hey sailor, good to see you around again!
I don't have much experience with goats, other than eating them, but I know from doing so that Boer goats are tasty, at least the kids (chevon) are. I'd eat one at least once a week if I could. I've heard the older goats can be rather gamey, but I've never been put off by it.
Regards, GF.

Hey sailor, good to see you around again!
I don't have much experience with goats, other than eating them, but I know from doing so that Boer goats are tasty, at least the kids (chevon) are. I'd eat one at least once a week if I could. I've heard the older goats can be rather gamey, but I've never been put off by it.
Regards, GF.

That's why you castrate them, then they're good until they're big enough to make it worth slaughtering them. A full grown buck is going to taste like it smells, terrible.

Thanks guys!
Good to be getting back, GF!
The alpacas are very easy to care for and their fiber is going for up to $40 a pound, unprocessed.
I just finished reading a couple of books on goats and we are thinking predominately for meat. I don't really want to mess with dairy.
I like what I have read about Boer goats but also Kiko and Kinder goats. My wife and family are leaning towards smaller goats because "they are soo cute!" I have eaten plenty of goat and when prepared properly, I actually prefer it over most cuts of beef. I got my wife to try it at the Indian restaurant in Prescott and she fell in love with it.
I have 8 more acres in double fenced pastures that I want to put some more animals in. So I am also looking into hair sheep, like Barbados Blackbelly, again for meat.
We have a mix of chickens and I am getting one of the sheds set up for meat rabbits.
My Nephew operates heavy equipment for the gold mines in AK. He has offered to excavate a nice fish pond for me about 1 1/2 acres in my North East corner for some catfish, bass and crappie/bluegill. I just have to rent the equipment when he returns from the mines next year.
Lastly, we are working to put about 1 acre into raised beds for gardens.

Thanks guys!

The alpacas are very easy to care for and their fiber is going for up to $40 a pound, unprocessed.

I just finished reading a couple of books on goats and we are thinking predominately for meat. I don't really want to mess with dairy.

I like what I have read about Boer goats but also Kiko and Kinder goats. My wife and family are leaning towards smaller goats because "they are soo cute!" I have eaten plenty of goat and when prepared properly, I actually prefer it over most cuts of beef. I got my wife to try it at the Indian restaurant in Prescott and she fell in love with it.

I have 8 more acres in double fenced pastures that I want to put some more animals in. So I am also looking into hair sheep, like Barbados Blackbelly, again for meat.

We have a mix of chickens and I am getting one of the sheds set up for meat rabbits.

My Nephew operates heavy equipment for the gold mines in AK. He has offered to excavate a nice fish pond for me about 1 1/2 acres in my North East corner for some catfish, bass and crappie/bluegill. I just have to rent the equipment when he returns from the mines next year.

Don't forget the plastic cows and the pigs that produce the rainbow ham.

Thanks guys!

Man, you're living the dream! :mug:
Are you planning to go with New Zealand Whites for your bunnies? They're a great meat/fur breed, but they're sensitive to overheating. We used to keep them in the shade with plenty of air circulation & they did ok in MT summers.
Regards, GF.

Most of the animals we are looking at, we are taking from the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy listings. We are trying to go with heritage breeds. As soon as I get our printer hooked up I want to print their comparison listings for things like rabbits, chickens, and more.
We do want breeds that will take the heat in the summer as much as reasonably possible and still withstand the mile high winters here in Prescott Valley. I do like the New Zealand Whites, Californians and Rex breeds for bunnies.

Ok, I was trying very hard to avoid it but my Wife, MIL and eldest Daughter are trying to talk me into Dairy Goats in addition to meat goats. I am not set up for dairy animals but am looking into what I will need.

Any suggestions for good Dairy Goats for the Prescott Valley area of Arizona? Highs near 90s in the summer and lows below freezing in the winter. I have good barns and animal sheds.

Back