Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Plain Old Coffee
View Poll Results: How do you like your coffee?
Black and Bitter 89 52.35%
Cream 20 11.76%
Cream and Sugar 41 24.12%
Made by a Barrista 6 3.53%
No Coffee of any sort 14 8.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 AM   #21
Thalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm with you Bernie, except I do enjoy the flavor of coffee from time to time. Every Tuesday morning we have a meeting early in the office, so I'll usually have a cup since they make some pretty good coffee there. But I consciously avoid depending on caffeine to wake me up or keep me going. I've never even tasted any of those energy drinks. Mind over matter I guess... I'd just rather feel like I'm in control of my day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #22
Thalon

Recipes 

sorry - double post

Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #23
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When SWMBO makes the coffee, it's usually some flavored Market Basket brand.

When I get tired of watery coffee (she likes it weak), I pull out the French press and go to town on the Trader Joe's coffee. Usually Kuaui, but occasionally Dark Sumatran or "Volcano" when I want something a little more robust.

EDIT: And to answer the question, when it's good coffee, I always drink it black. When it's garbage, cream and sugar to disguise the taste.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #24
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I like my coffee like my women, Cold, Black, and Bitter....
Oh wait that's my beer.
I've always been a Folgers guy fresh and straight up.

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prefer light and sweet!

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 08-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #26
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

My papa taught me long ago - before I ever drank coffee - that coffee should be drunk black, no cream, no sugar. That way, if someone offers you coffee and they don't have either, you can still accept their offer.

Of course, I'll often grab a packet of sugar when I get my coffee - but I'll just eat the sugar.

I also really love dark roasts, but I will not set foot in a Starbucks. Goddamn pretentious bastards. Dunkin' Donuts, baby! If I *do* have to buy coffee at a FourBucks (only at highway rest stops where there is no choice), I'll just ask them for a large cup of whatever they have that's dark. F*ck that goddamn "venti" or whatever bullsh*t.

Best goddamn commerical ever. John Goodman, They Might Be Giants, and Dunkin' Donuts. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28475103583370

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #27
Brewnurse

Recipes 

I like mine black with a little sugar. I work night with a crew that also drinks a lot of coffee, so it became cost effective to buy bulk. Then I relized how easy and cheap it was to roast my own beans. Best thing I ever did! Now I have trouble drinking other's roasts. I will never go to Starbuck's again!

Stephen
Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

I voted "black and bitter" because it was the best option, but that's not entirely true. Black? Yes. Bitter? No. If your coffee is truly bitter, then it's old or stale, or just crap coffee. "Real" coffee is a sweet beverage---and anyone who has had a French Press of Costa Rican La Minita Estate, that was roasted 2-4 days prior and just ground 30 seconds prior, can tell you that it's anything but "bitter". This country is just so used to Folgers' bitter blend that real coffee is to them what Schneider Aventinus is to a BMC drinker. I like my IPA's bitter, and my coffee black and sweet. As I type this, I'm drinking a thermal mug full of freshly ground/brewed Kenya AA from our local roaster, Shenandoah Joe...who roast, quite simply, the most badassed coffee I've had (though, freshly brewer Peet's Coffee from the little coffee shop in Mill Valley, CA is a close second).

Yeah, I'm a coffee freak. My favorite is a "red-eye"---I brew up a pot of drip and then make a shot of Shen Joe's "Dark Horse" espresso, and combine them. Rocket fuel...but truly amazing stuff.

The only time I'll put stuff in coffee is when it's really bad coffee, like truck-stop-blend kinda stuff. Then...the best remedy is cinnamon. A few sprinkles of cinnamon will help to mask the stale-cardboard taste that most sh*tty coffee has. I don't have a big sweet tooth, and I don't like creamy coffee, so I don't usually add anything but maybe skim milk in a cappuccino (which I almost never have).

As for Charbucks...I'll go for them if there is no better alternative. They purposefully burn their coffee beans so as to ensure "uniformity" from batch to batch and store to store. The one time I was really impressed with their coffee was the xmas blend from last year that we got when we were travelling on I-95 (when faced with a choice between truck stop blend and Charbucks, I'll always choose the latter). It was actually really enjoyable. But that's very rare.

Fact of the matter is, I rarely get a cup of coffee anywhere that is as good as I make it (the exception to that rule is if I get it from Shenandoah Joe themselves). Most people get beans which they have no idea how old they are and how long ago they were roasted...then they grind the beans themselves days or weeks ahead of time, not realizing that ground coffee starts to go stale about 4 minutes after it's ground. Or worse, they get the pre-ground stuff, which is where the old "coffee is bitter" misconception comes from.

And before anyone bashes me for being a coffee snob, just remember: to me, Folgers is on par with Coors Light. And few of you have any trouble being snobbish when it comes to beer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #29
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
My papa taught me long ago - before I ever drank coffee - that coffee should be drunk black, no cream, no sugar. That way, if someone offers you coffee and they don't have either, you can still accept their offer.

I also really love dark roasts, but I will not set foot in a Starbucks. Goddamn pretentious bastards. Dunkin' Donuts, baby! If I *do* have to buy coffee at a FourBucks (only at highway rest stops where there is no choice), I'll just ask them for a large cup of whatever they have that's dark. F*ck that goddamn "venti" or whatever bullsh*t.
Word! My pops taught me black too.

Dark roasts are great, but they can get a little old after awhile. Especially French Roast. If I buy a pound of Shenandoah Joe's West Coast French, which is excellent French Roast, it takes me maybe half the bag before I start to get tired of it, because it's such a distinctive taste. I like to buy 2 pounds at a time...dark and medium roast...and stagger them.

The only thing to get at a Fourbucks (thanks, Seinfeld!) is black coffee, or a red-eye if you really need a pick-me-up. And you must, must, must ALWAYS order a small, medium or large cup. If you order a fuc*ing venti or grande or supremo or whatever other horsesh*t they're calling the cups, then the [coffee] terrorists win! Fight the power...and return "small-medium-large" to its rightful place on the menu board! Pretentious MF'ers is right.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Black and Bold like my ladies...

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty