Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Plain Old Coffee
View Poll Results: How do you like your coffee?
Black and Bitter 89 52.35%
Cream 20 11.76%
Cream and Sugar 41 24.12%
Made by a Barrista 6 3.53%
No Coffee of any sort 14 8.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Plain Old Coffee

I've drank the high priced mochas and stuff at Starbucks and similar places and I do like em, even have an espresso machine at home.

Quite often, I just like a cup of black and bitter, or I'll toss a little milk in.

It seems like less and less people out there drink regular brewed coffee. Especially in the Navy, where coffee is our fuel, the younger kids are more into soda's and energy drinks.

Who else is a regular coffee drinker (Black and Bitter, with milk, or with milk and sugar)? What types of coffee do you like (commercial, fresh ground)?

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Answering the rest of my question. My favorite commercial is Maxwell House, I also buy whole bean once in awhile.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

medium dunkin donuts w/ cream and sugar every morning, an essential part of my morning ritual

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like mine with a little 1% milk and Sweet'N Low .

I buy either Columbian or Kenya AA from a local market, about $6/lb. Sometimes I get the flavored stuff.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I won't set foot in a Starbucks or the like, but I love making espresso at home and at work, and always start my day with a double-shot. If I want a full-size cup of coffee, I'll just pull a double espresso and add hot water to make an "Americano." My drip machine is in storage, I'd rather have the counter space.

A few years ago, I was reading an article about small coffee producers, and they mentioned a place that was piling up awards from many different competitions. They gave the address, and I was astonished to see that this company was just a few blocks from my work! A friend and I drove straight over and went inside...they were surprised to see us, but after talking java awhile the owner took us on a tour of their warehouse and roasting facility. It was amazing to see and smell the beans in the roasting ovens/tumblers. I'll never forget the aroma when they dumped a batch out of the roaster and into the cooling drum. Then we were offered samples of several of their products, including the organic espresso. It was the best I've ever tasted, even the espresso I drank in Italy couldn't compare.

When I'm running low on beans, I give the place a call. In turn, they call me at work the next time they are roasting a batch of espresso..usually within a day or two. Then I run over and grab a few pounds, still warm from the roaster! I get a whole pound for about the price of 3-4 coffees at Starbucks.

At the time, they only sold to businesses, roasted to order with a minimum of 100 pounds. They were doing me a favor by tacking an extra pound or two onto somebody elses order. Now I see they are selling small quantities over the net.

Supreme Bean

Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
howlinowl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Every morning, make some Maxwell House, cream and sugar. Never go anywhere to buy a cup, the hassle pulling off the road and waiting in the drive-thru isn't worth it. Rather spend that extra 15 minutes sitting at home before I leave for work.
Allan

Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty

On Deck:

On Tap 1: Yuengling Traditional Lager
On Tap 2: Kayumanggi Ale (pronounced "Kai-you-mang-ghe) Tagalog for "Brown"
Various bottles and cans: San Miguel Premium Lager, Flying Dog Mix Pack, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Black & bitter or I'll have hot chocolate and triple the cocoa powder. Or maybe mix them. I buy my beans (Kauai) at Trader Joe's. Drank more (coffee and beer) when I had a regular job, they had a very nice machine and Pete's coffee.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 08-26-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like lots of cream and lots of sugar. I like my beer bitter, and my coffee sweet. Usually just the regular foldgers, not a picky coffee drinker. However, SWMBO is and we got her a Tassimo in order to cut down on her coffee shop adiction. It makes pretty good lates and such, and its simple and fast. Plus a lot cheaper then any coffee house.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

In the Navy, Black and Brutal is the only way to go. We spend all our dayz in a caffeine haze!!

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Navy coffee, no fond memories there! We had a guy on the sub who was an amateur magician. He would draw a mug of coffee, pick up a spoon & stir in some sugar. Then pull a twisted, burned, half-melted spoon out of the mug and say, "Navy coffee, it's the only reason I re-enlisted."

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply