Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #71
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Smoked some of the tobacco I grew last year, last night.

Mild but extremely pleasant. Probably should have shredded it more like spaghetti, but it works.
I dug all my kit out (keep it all in a cream cracker tin) and planned to have a bowl too.

Laid my head down and that was as far as all that got.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #72
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1889 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

My dad smoked a pipe for 40+ years. He was a master at it. Made everything look easy. I know he had a tamper at one time but he must have lost it and just used a nail. His choice of iginition was regular old paper matches. He would "drizzle" the tobacco into the pipe, tamp it down and fire it up with one match, sometimes two if it was very windy, and then he'd keep it going till the tobacco was gone. It was rare to see him (when not at work) without a pipe sticking out of his mouth, lit or not.

I've used everything but a flame thrower to fire my briar. The trick seems to be a good pack like GMB talks about. Tobacco that is not to moist or dry. Then for me anyway, burn the top layer, tamp it down, fire back up and it burns pretty well after that, might need one or to more applications of fire.

Looking forward to the McBarens I ordered yesterday. Should be here by the weekend after next.

Do any of you guys use pipe sweetner?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #73
SnakeRidge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm brewing this afternoon when I get home from work, and I think I might have to dig out the Churchwarden that I spent all last winter seasoning. I guess I'm a cool weather smoker too!! Thanks for the tips about packing. I struggle with that too

Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #74
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Do any of you guys use pipe sweetner?
151 Rum for deep cleaning stems and bowls as needed (rare). Everclear if the pipe goes foul (happened once).

I've collected enough pipes that I would devote 1 pipe to each type of tobacco and would only deep clean it between tobacco changes.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #75
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

I've just recently started doing the cigar thing again after smoking them early on in college. Pipes intrigue me but I don't know that SWMBO would appreciate me acquiring another smoking habit. At my last job I worked with a guy in his mid 20's and he was a pipe smoker. He'd sometimes bring some tobacco into work if he was off for a pipe night after and I really enjoyed the aroma. My father used to smoke a pipe way back before I was born but unfortunately in the multiple moves that have occurred since I was a kid, the pipes have gone missing or I would probably take ownership of them.

If you are in the downtown Chicago area and looking for pipes/cigars and related paraphernalia I would recommend looking up Iwan Ries. It's a couple blocks from where I work and they have loads of cigars and pipes/pipe tobacco. My pipe smoking friend I mentioned earlier was pretty impressed with the pipe section of the store. They also do internet orders if you fancy...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #76
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
I've just recently started doing the cigar thing again after smoking them early on in college. Pipes intrigue me but I don't know that SWMBO would appreciate me acquiring another smoking habit. At my last job I worked with a guy in his mid 20's and he was a pipe smoker. He'd sometimes bring some tobacco into work if he was off for a pipe night after and I really enjoyed the aroma. My father used to smoke a pipe way back before I was born but unfortunately in the multiple moves that have occurred since I was a kid, the pipes have gone missing or I would probably take ownership of them.

If you are in the downtown Chicago area and looking for pipes/cigars and related paraphernalia I would recommend looking up Iwan Ries. It's a couple blocks from where I work and they have loads of cigars and pipes/pipe tobacco. My pipe smoking friend I mentioned earlier was pretty impressed with the pipe section of the store. They also do internet orders if you fancy...
A good basket pipe can be had for the price of a decent cigar. It doesn't "have" to cost a fortune but, as with anything, it can if you let it.

Some of my favotite pipes are Dr Grabow drug store briars.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #77
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1889 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

I don't know if it is the cooling weather, this thread or both but I'm really craving a good pipe smoking evening on the front porch.

I have a few Dr Grabows as well. They are thick walled ones and smoke fairly cool.

My favorite two pipes are a straight square bolwed drugstore pipe (one of my dad's old pipes and very well broken in) and a.. I think it's a Savinelli. I'm going to have to break into the pipe cabinet tonight and start dusting them off. The Savinelli looks like this one. Very light and cool smoke. pipes-cigars-tobacco_2227_424581557.gif

Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #78
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
A good basket pipe can be had for the price of a decent cigar. It doesn't "have" to cost a fortune but, as with anything, it can if you let it.

Some of my favotite pipes are Dr Grabow drug store briars.
Yea, cost is a part of the consideration, but SWMBO has had a zero tolerance policy to all things smoking. It took me some doing to convince her that me smoking the occasional cigar wouldn't turn me into a chimney so I think I'll leave the pipes to another time.

If and when I do give it a try I'm definitely not going to lay out mega bucks on a pipe.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #79
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I don't know if it is the cooling weather, this thread or both but I'm really craving a good pipe smoking evening on the front porch.

I have a few Dr Grabows as well. They are thick walled ones and smoke fairly cool.

My favorite two pipes are a straight square bolwed drugstore pipe (one of my dad's old pipes and very well broken in) and a.. I think it's a Savinelli. I'm going to have to break into the pipe cabinet tonight and start dusting them off. The Savinelli looks like this one. Very light and cool smoke. Attachment 76415
My Lorenzo Spitfire is by far my most enjoyable pipe to date as far as quality of smoke, best draw, ergonomics, and bowl seasoning.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #80
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
Yea, cost is a part of the consideration, but SWMBO has had a zero tolerance policy to all things smoking. It took me some doing to convince her that me smoking the occasional cigar wouldn't turn me into a chimney so I think I'll leave the pipes to another time.

If and when I do give it a try I'm definitely not going to lay out mega bucks on a pipe.
I feel ya', my wife detests smoking (despite being a smoker when we dated ). So, I smoke my pipes outside. Usually in teh garage.

Used to be a thing for me to smoke a bowl while brewing. Sort of like the cigar ritual many have.

Quick Reply