Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #731
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I apologize if this has come up, my computer has been commandeered and searching on movie isn't all that fun.

Say one wants to take up this art that has never done it before. Would this be a decent way to see if its worth while?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/gift%20sets/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=72356

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #732
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
I apologize if this has come up, my computer has been commandeered and searching on movie isn't all that fun.

Say one wants to take up this art that has never done it before. Would this be a decent way to see if its worth while?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/gift%20sets/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=72356
Looks like a good deal.

You could also go to a local tobacco shop that sells pipes and pick up a cob pipe, some bulk tobacco, pipe cleaners, and a pipe tool for about $15-$20...

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #733
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post

Looks like a good deal.

You could also go to a local tobacco shop that sells pipes and pick up a cob pipe, some bulk tobacco, pipe cleaners, and a pipe tool for about $15-$20...
Interesting ! I will have to visit one. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #734
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r

Interesting ! I will have to visit one. Thanks!
Even some of your local drug stores may carry Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes. Even the "over-the-counter" tobacco they carry is enjoyed by some. It's not a bad place to start, especially if the tobacconist is too far away.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #735
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:

The advice for a cob pipe and a local tobacco store is the way to go. When starting you need mainly to learn how to pack the pipe and what kind of tobacco you like. A cob pipe doesn't need a break-in time and is a cheap way to try different tobaccos. You don't want to try an English blend (for example) in a pie that you have already been smoking aromatic tobaccos in. Since a cob only costs a few bucks you can try a new tobacco without messing up the flavor of your regular smokers. Also, if you are going to smoke regularly it is a good idea to build up enough pipes that you can let each rest between smoke.

Packing the pipe is an art. There is an old saying: Three hands pack the pipe and two to light it. The three hands are the hand of a child, the hand of a woman and the hand of a man. Put in tobacco and pack it down very gently, about like a child would. Put in more tobacco and pack in medium hard, about like you think a woman would do. Put in the final bit of tobacco and pack firmly (not squeezing, only firm), as a man would do. Your pipe is now ready to light. The two hands to light it means two lights to get it going. Make sure you have a pipe damper. Light the tobacco while drawing through the pipe. Light the entire surface. Now, take the damper and lightly pack down the top layer of ashen tobacco. Light the pipe a second time, making sure to light the entire surface. Now enjoy the smoke. Pull gently so as not to get tongue burn. If you feel the fire is going down you can light again, or try holding your finger over the bowl sealing off about half of it while drawing in. This will make the air enter at a higher force and will stoke up the heat in the pipe.

If you use matches to light the pipe let the sulpher burn off before applying to the tobacco.

There is a saying that I love: "Cigarettes feed a habit; cigars feed an ego; a pipe feeds the soul."

One day I was thinking, while enjoying my pipe and wrote the following:

The Bliss of the Burl

Assailed by legion thoughts of dread;
Angst buzzing wild about his head.

Three hands prepare an ancient burl;
Two more release a ghostly curl.

As young moths flit to blazing fire,
Distractions fall upon the pyre.

Uplifted on a pungent dove,
The muse is free to soar above.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #736
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

That gift set is probably a great way to go. Just be careful, I bought a pipe in a set like that once and it came with a pre-carbonized layer that gave me a horrible acrid taste for a while. Retired that pipe.

Corncobs are a great way to sample various tobaccos, and if you find you don't like it you aren't out a lot of money. This grab bag is a good way to not only have a few pipes to try different tobaccos, but also to get a feel for different shapes, sizes, bends, etc.

http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #737
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Smoking some Frog Morton, NordeastBrewer77 sent me a few months ago.
Thanks, but I can't take the credit for that, I've never even had that smoke. How is it though? I've also thought about getting some.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #738
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts

Quote:

I'm unsure of the full details of that set. However, I doubt smokingpipes.com would steer people wrong. They are a quality online dealer. If you decide to stick local, Rite Aid pharmacies in the area still often carry Dr. Grabow pipes and several of the standard over the counter blends like Prince Albert or Captain Black. At least, the one in Castro Valley does. I know, because I purchased an Omega there.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #739
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post

I'm unsure of the full details of that set. However, I doubt smokingpipes.com would steer people wrong. They are a quality online dealer. If you decide to stick local, Rite Aid pharmacies in the area still often carry Dr. Grabow pipes and several of the standard over the counter blends like Prince Albert or Captain Black. At least, the one in Castro Valley does. I know, because I purchased an Omega there.
I local bloke who rides motorcycles, brews beer and smokes a pipe, and we haven't met? Shame. Also a shame I sold my Ducati.

Thanks for the info. I asked my fiance to go to a smoke shop and pick up a couple corn Cobb's for myself and a buddy, with the tools needed and asked the clerk for a good starter tobacco . Her assets generally get her service I would never see. I'm anxious to see what I come home to.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #740
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
pharmacies in the area still often carry Dr. Grabow pipes.
I'm smoking a Dr. Grabow from a drug store right now. It's actually one of my favorite pipes. It has a small bowl, which is nice when I want a quick smoke. It smokes as good as my expensive pipes.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 

Quick Reply