Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #481
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends?
Most of my pipes are dedicated to catgories, aromatic, latakia/English, Virginia/VaPer or Lakeland. The only pipe I've ever dedicated to a single blend was a pony cob dedicated to 1792 Flake.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #482
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter

Most of my pipes are dedicated to catgories, aromatic, latakia/English, Virginia/VaPer or Lakeland. The only pipe I've ever dedicated to a single blend was a pony cob dedicated to 1792 Flake.
I think I'll do that, although I'm very tempted to dedicate my Boswell to Boswell's Best blend. Of course then I'd have to buy more pipes...
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #483
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I keep a pipe for cased blends (pretty much just cherry, and I can't find the cherry I used to love anymore), a couple for Balkans, and one for Perique, and the rest for mixtures.

I'm just getting back to smoking a pipe- gonna try to put an axe to the cigs soon. Lo and behold, I find this in my closet at my part time law office gig:

All of these tins were purchased right before I re-started cigarettes, and therefore cut way back on pipe smoking. MacBaren Latakia Blend, Vintage Syrian (!), and Club Blend. Orlik Scotch Type. Alyesbury Scottish Blend. Bentley (just found that the pouch in the tin is sealed with a sticker...grr...). Cornell & Diehl Kajun Kake, Sunset Harbor Flake, Autumn Evening, and Ten Russians. W.O. Larsen Classic.

At least all but the Bentley are completely sealed, so this stuff should be nice and aged. They were packaged between 05-07. And the prices...well...times have changed, but I got these at about 25% below 2007 retail from a fellow who shut down a tobacco shop.

Recent brews: Amber ale w/ honey malt, Dunkelweizen, Oktoberfest, Alt, Kölsch, English Brown, Rye IPA, Amarillo IPA. 55 gallons so far in 2013.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #484
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Oh, yeah, I do have one pipe just for cherry blends.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #485
CJKenley
Recipes 

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to stop by with my $0.02. Since I went to college in Boston, I got used to the blends at L.J. Peretti and I get it shipped out to California pretty cheaply. Great blends and cheap shipping, but they get a little dried out in the mail and flakes don't usually make it intact.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #486
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It was really tempting to order the cherry sampler but I don't recall ever trying a cherry blend so I opted for the Captain Black sampler instead which has a Black Cherry pouch. I've tried the white, which is great blended with Prince Albert.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #487
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Regarding cherry- I've only found one that didn't have either an oily taste or an overly sweet taste. The best one I had was a uniform color, I think maybe all Burley. It had the best tart cherry taste you can imagine. It came from a shop in Ft Lauderdale- it might have been a blend from one of the bulk manufacturers, but none I've ever tried came close. (The shop also sold the common Altadis stuff if I recall)

Recent brews: Amber ale w/ honey malt, Dunkelweizen, Oktoberfest, Alt, Kölsch, English Brown, Rye IPA, Amarillo IPA. 55 gallons so far in 2013.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #488
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No worries Dan. I'm glad you like the tobacco. There was a reason it stuck out in my mind after 10 years!

Cheers!
Like it? I love it! I smoked 3 bowls last night and I don't think I had a single cigarette all evening, which is impressive for me. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Bad news... Shank on my churchwarden is cracked and growing. Going to have to give that pipe a rest until I can take it into the city for repair. Feels weird to pay at least 20 bucks if not more to repair a 60 dollar pipe though. It's the one I was planning on dedicating to English blends too so now have to take a hiatus.

Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends? I want to but I also don't have enough pipes to do so and don't feel like dropping the cash to load up on more.
That sucks. Hope you can get it fixed cheaply. I'm still working on my first (and only) pipe, so every tobacco goes in. I've been looking at some of the pipes made by the father and son who run one of the shops downtown make, and I was thinking of using one for the more mild smokes and one for the English/latakia smokes.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #489
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Also- do any of you know an online retailer with bulk tobacco for blending? I'd like to try my hand at making a good smokey balkan blend.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #490
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

Like it? I love it! I smoked 3 bowls last night and I don't think I had a single cigarette all evening, which is impressive for me. Thanks again!

That sucks. Hope you can get it fixed cheaply. I'm still working on my first (and only) pipe, so every tobacco goes in. I've been looking at some of the pipes made by the father and son who run one of the shops downtown make, and I was thinking of using one for the more mild smokes and one for the English/latakia smokes.
Downtown Chicago or St. Louis? My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on spending the day in the Iwan Ries smoke lounge watching football. I know they're family owned. Would be happy to check out any pipes or tobacco and get them over to you if you're interested.
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Quick Reply