Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #451
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1514 Times on 1438 Posts
Likes Given: 52721

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Moisture from the tobacco infused with tar, and saliva from the stem.

Ha. Yeah. so, that wonderfully aromatic smoke I was on about not too long ago. I dedicated myself to finding it in the only best way I know how. Each night I load a bowl with a different tobacco and set that tobacco aside. A process of elimination. If the next morning the intensity of the aroma I seek has improved then I know I have found that blend.

Started with the more exotic blends. Blue Note, nope. DaVinci, Nope. Oriental no. 1, etc...

Which blend was it?

None of them. No blend of Latakia, Cavendish, or Perique.

It was all Virginia. Macbarens Virginia No.1 to be precise.

Ironic.
I'll have to try some of that Virginia next time I stop in at my tobacconist.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #452
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I used to preach at a little country church about an hour and a half from where I lived in Missouri. When I got home on Sunday nights it was usually 9pm or later. Every Sunday night I would walk in the door, change, grab my pipe and a nice beer. Then I would sit on the recliner on our 3rd floor balcony and relax. That was such a great season of life. I often have a desire to sit on my porch with a homebrew and a pipe while watching the ships on the Columbia River. Man, I wish I hadn't seen this thread!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #453
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Can't post a link from my phone but pipesandcigars.com has cigars called "Hopz" seasoned with Centennial.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #454
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Can't post a link from my phone but pipesandcigars.com has cigars called "Hopz" seasoned with Centennial.
Yeah, those Hopz cigars are…different!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #455
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1860 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 2643

Somebody watching this thread PM'd me and we did a tobacco swap. I sent some Va #1 and he sent me some Frog Morton On The Bayou, and Blue Mountain. The tobacco arrived yesterday and my mailbox smelled like a campfire. Nice! I smoked a bowl of the FM OTB lastnight. It was smooth and nice, burned evenly.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by the local gas station (note to self - don't buy any type of craft beer there again) IT was Fat Tire, I'm not sure that is considered a true craft beer or not but figured it might be a lot better than a BMC and the only homebrew I have is 15gallons fermenting. The beer was a bit sour for an amber. After reading the bottle closely noted the best before date was 2 days ago.

Anyway, I'm not doing a beer review here. After dinner tonight I went back out to my tiny peice of paradise also known as the garage man cave and packed a bowl of the Blue Mountain. I probably wouldn't smoke it every night, then again I don't smoke everyday.

Decadant, I think is the correct word, heady, creamy smoky smoke! I hate to compare pipe tobacco to cigars but this and my favorite cigar (Bolivar Confradia, use to simply be called Bolivar Fuerte and cost less then too) have one thing in common. Pure tranquility. It even made the beer taste better.

Not sure I'll be buying a tin right away. There are a few more tobaccos I want to rediscover from years ago.

(we need a pipe smoking icon)

Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #456
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Dan,
A few weeks ago I called it! Posted in this thread that you'll start to see tobacco swaps. Glad it came to fruition. There are so many different kinds I can't even imagine the difference in variety the East Coast would have compared to Colorado.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #457
dallasdb
Recipes 

Just found this CL link. Crazy price but some beautiful pipes
http://denver.craigslist.org/clt/3248137293.html

Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #458
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1860 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 2643

Yep, good call Dallas. This is my first swap but more in the works. Hope people are trading. Only cost a postage stamp or two to send a bit of tobacco.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #459
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Yep, good call Dallas. This is my first swap but more in the works. Hope people are trading. Only cost a postage stamp or two to send a bit of tobacco.
Do you just put it in a ziplock and a manila style shipping envelope?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #460
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Somebody watching this thread PM'd me and we did a tobacco swap. I sent some Va #1 and he sent me some Frog Morton On The Bayou, and Blue Mountain. The tobacco arrived yesterday and my mailbox smelled like a campfire. Nice! I smoked a bowl of the FM OTB lastnight. It was smooth and nice, burned evenly.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by the local gas station (note to self - don't buy any type of craft beer there again) IT was Fat Tire, I'm not sure that is considered a true craft beer or not but figured it might be a lot better than a BMC and the only homebrew I have is 15gallons fermenting. The beer was a bit sour for an amber. After reading the bottle closely noted the best before date was 2 days ago.

Anyway, I'm not doing a beer review here. After dinner tonight I went back out to my tiny peice of paradise also known as the garage man cave and packed a bowl of the Blue Mountain. I probably wouldn't smoke it every night, then again I don't smoke everyday.

Decadant, I think is the correct word, heady, creamy smoky smoke! I hate to compare pipe tobacco to cigars but this and my favorite cigar (Bolivar Confradia, use to simply be called Bolivar Fuerte and cost less then too) have one thing in common. Pure tranquility. It even made the beer taste better.

Not sure I'll be buying a tin right away. There are a few more tobaccos I want to rediscover from years ago.

(we need a pipe smoking icon)
Nice!!! Not a big Fat Tire fan, I can't imagine one not in it's prime.
I've been reading about different pipe tobaccos and blends. I think it's really like a cigar, there's one for every occasion. 'Pure tranquillity' describes that place you hit when you're relaxing with a good smoke and a good beer.
I'm looking forward to trying the Virginia #1. I have a couple home brews packed up and ready to ship to you tomorrow, Dan, hopefully you'll find that they go well with a good smoke.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 

Quick Reply