Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #441
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1599 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2624

Even if I dont partake in a certain hobby I always love to go into a shop that caters to one thing. Seeing a million different kinds of tea, or cigars, or beef jerky, or whatever... really appeals to the kid in me.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

worksnorth Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #442
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Even if I dont partake in a certain hobby I always love to go into a shop that caters to one thing. Seeing a million different kinds of tea, or cigars, or beef jerky, or whatever... really appeals to the kid in me.
Never thought about it that way but you're totally right. The amount of care, love, energy etc that goes into people's hobbies is amazing and the only thing more amazing is that no matter how obscure or specific someone's obsession is there is always someone else who is just as into it.
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.
worksnorth Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #443
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
See, you are all advanced and stuff, I just buy an ounce or two of bulk from Kirsten's in Seattle...love their Mariner blend.
Bulk works too, I have plenty of that in my cellar!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #444
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I smoke a Dr. Grabow De Luxe 9845. It is a very nice smoking pipe circa late 1930's.
Ah, yes, good ol' Dr. Grabow!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #445
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

So the gurgle? Moisture cooking out of the tobacco condensing in the stem? Is that what's going on?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #446
Czm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksnorth
So the gurgle? Moisture cooking out of the tobacco condensing in the stem? Is that what's going on?
It's saliva goin into pipe. Btw I just got a brand new zippo blue and can't use it for pipe but would work great for cigar / cig. Anyone willing to trade?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #447
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1875 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 2697

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
That is a beautiful setup!
Thanks aygov! I'm waiting for another faucet and some 3/8" 16TPI brass inserts to come in. I'm going to take motorcycle handgrips I bought years ago but never used and mount them as tap handles. The HD logo on the freezer will bring the whole thing together. Amazing what a little paint can do to an old white refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Haven't posted in here before, but I enjoy an occasional pipe smoke. My dad smoked a pipe always when I was young.

I smoke a Dr. Grabow De Luxe 9845. It is a very nice smoking pipe circa late 1930's.

I am a lucky bastid in that I still purchase from the same quality shop my old man did when i was a tiny tot. I have great memories going to Uhle's as a kid with my dad. http://www.uhles.com/

:edit: apparently they ship! You guys should have a try of their stuff, it is very good.

Nice pipe stuff and your shop looks like a nice step back in time. Love all the rich dark wood, briars on the wall, jars of bulk tobacco! We have nothing like that around here. I think one of the malls in the next town over has a John Ts (or at least they used to) but that hardly compares to your shop!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #448
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Oh man, I don't know how I've overlooked this for so long. Great thread, Dan! Prost!

I recently bought a cheap pipe from the tobacco shop that I buy my cigars at. My dad smoked a pipe when I was really young, and I gave it a try about 13 years ago, but never stuck with it. But recently I'd been buying cheap pipe tobacco cigars as my daily smokers, so I figured I'd give it another try.

It really is a lost art, as in there's actually a technique to it. This time around, I'm really enjoying it. I've mainly been smoking cheap stuff, Captain Black Royal. I like the black cavendish/golden blend, really nice smoke. When I finish this latest pouch of Royal, I'm going to try some different brands and blends. I'm guessing just like my stogies, variety is the spice when it comes to pipe tobacco. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Happy smokin'!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Dan Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #449
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1875 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 2697

Thanks NB I'm glad you like the thread! I started it back in march and it just sort of smoldered for awhile. The cool weather seems to have resurrected it.. ha ha.

I've smoked a number of different tobaccos over the years but the only one that I remembered well was MacBarens Virginia #1. PipesandCigars screwed up my order in a good way, sent me 8 oz of it bulk instead of the 3.5oz tin I ordered. I was a bit peeved but it really worked in my favor. If you'd like to give it a shot PM me your name and address and I'll share a few ounces with you!

Here's a short discription from tobaccoreview.com and it is pretty accurate

Quote:
A ready rubbed tobacco, manufactured from a selection of choice, ripe Virginia tobaccos, which gives Virginia No.1 a mild, sweet smoke.
Cheers!
Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #450
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4680 Times on 4339 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksnorth View Post
Moisture from the tobacco infused with tar, and saliva from the stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Here's a short discription from tobaccoreview.com and it is pretty accurate

Cheers!
Dan
Ha. Yeah. so, that wonderfully aromatic smoke I was on about not too long ago. I dedicated myself to finding it in the only best way I know how. Each night I load a bowl with a different tobacco and set that tobacco aside. A process of elimination. If the next morning the intensity of the aroma I seek has improved then I know I have found that blend.

Started with the more exotic blends. Blue Note, nope. DaVinci, Nope. Oriental no. 1, etc...

Which blend was it?

None of them. No blend of Latakia, Cavendish, or Perique.

It was all Virginia. Macbarens Virginia No.1 to be precise.

Ironic.

Quick Reply