The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #431
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
What percentage humidity should pipe tobacco be kept at?
Strangely this is the one area I'm not completely anal retentive. While my cigars never move more than a few percentage points away from 65%, when I buy pipe tobacco I toss it into a ball canning jar and leave it in my pantry. I couldn't tell you what the humidity is, just that I have some stuff that is a good 3 years old now and is much improved and none of it is too dry. Some is a bit on the moist side (no mold) that I can tell from the touch, for that I pull enough out to fill a bowl and let it sit for a bit to get to the dryness I want. I wish I could give you a RH that you could use, but I just go by feel. That is the downfall of premium tobacco, it is finicky and is something of an art...but, a little time with it and you will be able to not think about it, just know what is right for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #432
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Ps. I know this is a pipe smoking thread so forgive me. Going to throw up a picture of my new kegerator, still in the works. Fourth tap coming soon and a big Harley Davidson sticker on the freezer door. It also makes a great place to display my pipes!
Nice setup Dan, wish I had 4 taps, but 2 is all I have room for. Does the garage environment have any impact on the briar as it changes from hot to cold, wet to dry?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #433
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Nice setup Dan, wish I had 4 taps, but 2 is all I have room for. Does the garage environment have any impact on the briar as it changes from hot to cold, wet to dry?
Thanks. Have to admit though only one tap for beer. The other three soft drinks/gatorade/iced coffee.

Not that I've noticed. Pipes on top of the kegerator I just put there recently but they have been living in a pipe cabinet in the garage for years. Having said that, winters here are fairly mild, I don't think the garage has ever got to freezing temps, maybe a few hours on the coldest of nights. Humidity is not much of a problem here either. So I don't know what the effect of freezing cold and damp weather would be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #434
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks. Have to admit though only one tap for beer. The other three soft drinks/gatorade/iced coffee.

Not that I've noticed. Pipes on top of the kegerator I just put there recently but they have been living in a pipe cabinet in the garage for years. Having said that, winters here are fairly mild, I don't think the garage has ever got to freezing temps, maybe a few hours on the coldest of nights. Humidity is not much of a problem here either. So I don't know what the effect of freezing cold and damp weather would be.
I suppose it would have made sense for me to look and see you are in CA...up here in Western Washington humidity and temp extremes is always an issue

Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #435
aygov
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Ps. I know this is a pipe smoking thread so forgive me. Going to throw up a picture of my new kegerator, still in the works. Fourth tap coming soon and a big Harley Davidson sticker on the freezer door. It also makes a great place to display my pipes!

Attachment 78961

Edit. I need to update my camera date stamp. I just took the picture about an hour ago.
That is a beautiful setup!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #436
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Just ordered a new Savinelli! Pipesandcigars.com has a sale going on them right now.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #437
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Strangely this is the one area I'm not completely anal retentive. While my cigars never move more than a few percentage points away from 65%, when I buy pipe tobacco I toss it into a ball canning jar and leave it in my pantry. I couldn't tell you what the humidity is, just that I have some stuff that is a good 3 years old now and is much improved and none of it is too dry. Some is a bit on the moist side (no mold) that I can tell from the touch, for that I pull enough out to fill a bowl and let it sit for a bit to get to the dryness I want. I wish I could give you a RH that you could use, but I just go by feel. That is the downfall of premium tobacco, it is finicky and is something of an art...but, a little time with it and you will be able to not think about it, just know what is right for you.
Once the tin is cracked, canning jars are the way to go with tobacco. Seal it up and forget about it!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #438
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Once the tin is cracked, canning jars are the way to go with tobacco. Seal it up and forget about it!
See, you are all advanced and stuff, I just buy an ounce or two of bulk from Kirsten's in Seattle...love their Mariner blend.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #439
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter

Nice, wife just bought a ton of these..
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #440
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Haven't posted in here before, but I enjoy an occasional pipe smoke. My dad smoked a pipe always when I was young.

I smoke a Dr. Grabow De Luxe 9845. It is a very nice smoking pipe circa late 1930's.

I am a lucky bastid in that I still purchase from the same quality shop my old man did when i was a tiny tot. I have great memories going to Uhle's as a kid with my dad. http://www.uhles.com/

:edit: apparently they ship! You guys should have a try of their stuff, it is very good.

People Like This 

Quick Reply