The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #401
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
QFT. I will say my Boswell smoked much better than any other "first smoke" with my other pipes. No gurgle, never got hot, smooth. Is that placebo? Maybe. But I liked it.
Man, they like some ridicuously large pipes, you'd need some seriout tooth power to handle that. I might have to put a shotshell pipe on my future wants list though. No gurgle is a good thing for sure, my Barling gurgles if the tobacco is a little damp, it annoys the crap out of me, but its a 40 year old pipe and I love the nostalgia of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #402
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Yeah, I doubt I could tell the difference between some really old high quality briar like pre-transition Barlings are famous for or what most pipes are made out of today. However, I can tell the difference between one that smokes good and one that doesn't...I just figure that if it smokes good it is well made.
Most of what I bought were "basket" rejects (aside from the Grabow). meaning for whatever reason, usually cosmetic, they were offered at a signifigant discount.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #403
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff

Man, they like some ridicuously large pipes, you'd need some seriout tooth power to handle that. I might have to put a shotshell pipe on my future wants list though. No gurgle is a good thing for sure, my Barling gurgles if the tobacco is a little damp, it annoys the crap out of me, but its a 40 year old pipe and I love the nostalgia of it.
Yeah this one is much bigger than I expected. It smoked for over 1.5 hours where all my others were 45 min tops. Would be tough to hold in my teeth for longer than a few minutes but I tend to hold my pipe in my hand the whole time so I didn't have any issues last night.
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #404
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Picture of the cap

forumrunner_20121005_160032.jpg

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #405
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yeah, that is a serious bit of wood to accomodate that shell cap...now I'm thinking a chopped .308 case all polished up might be the ticket for a less substantial pipe that still sports my love for shooting.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #406
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

I'm like pipe smoke wafting through the air pushed and pulled by the currents of time.

Just packed a bowl of Va #1 in my Savenelli, smoked about 1/3 of the bowl then started polking around one of the old pipe cabinets in my garage and found some balsa filters I had forgotten about. That usually forgotten old cabinet is akin to a pipe smoker's treasure trove. I never know exactly what small prize I'll find next.

The filters were in a little plastic bag with directions on card stock written in Italian, English, French (I think) and German. They said "The natural balsa insert will absorb any excess moisture along with smoke impurities without restricting the drawing characteristics of a pipe or affecting the flavrr of the the tobacco. Replace insert after 3-4 smokes"

There must be 30-40 of these triangular balsa sticks in the bag. I never used them before... they seemed to wussy. (forgive me, I was a lot younger then). Anyway, I pulled the stem out of the shank and stuck one in. Fired my briar back up and have to admit. Amazing difference!

I wasn't upset at the smoke before but this little bit of wonder balsa cooled the smoke, made the good flavors come through better and I swear the smoke in the air seemed creamier as did the smoke I pulled through.

Man, I'm buzzing a bit from this. I smoked two good sized bowls.

PS.. if this is the first post you read on this forum..It's pipe tobacco..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #407
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
PS.. if this is the first post you read on this forum..It's pipe tobacco..
Glad you cleared that one up. Wouldn't want Jan getting the wrong idea.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #408
Tex
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just smoked the first bowl in my Bjarne churchwarden I got from pipesandcigars. Ordered the pipe, a tool and scottys tobacco sampler and all arrived as they should've. I was worried when I grabbed the pipe and felt how light it is but it stayed cooler than my smoke shop briar pipe. Also smoked cooler which I expected from the longer stem. Not a bad looking piece either.

image-3138928810.jpg

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #409
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I here you brother.
+1 Hear That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I used to go northern pike fishing early in the mornings and take the pipe and some cherry/vanilla tobacco along. Those were fun mornings. All alone in nature; great aroma/flavor; and pretty darn good fishing.
Damn... I use to go Fishing almost every day when I was growing up. Grew up in Massachusetts near a Pond. Some of the Biggest Northern Pike Ever! Me and my brother used to steal granpa's pipe sometimes. I think he knew but he never said anything. Time for a Beer!!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Dan Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #410
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just smoked the first bowl in my Bjarne churchwarden I got from pipesandcigars. Ordered the pipe, a tool and scottys tobacco sampler and all arrived as they should've. I was worried when I grabbed the pipe and felt how light it is but it stayed cooler than my smoke shop briar pipe. Also smoked cooler which I expected from the longer stem. Not a bad looking piece either.

Attachment 78572
Quite a beautiful pipe Tex! I'm sure you will find in it many years of tranquil comfort.

Last edited by Dan; 10-07-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: tranquil not tanquil

Quick Reply