Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #391
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
They sell out quickly. New pipes are released each week and can be gone in a matter of a few hours.
Yea, that makes sense then. Looking at their stock and the limited supply I'm going to hazard a guess that they're going to be a bit pricey.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #392
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

That start around $120 - $130 and go up, they do have occasional cheaper pipes in the sub $100 category.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #393
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Pipe came!

Attachment 78314

Chip carved pipe with a Winchester 12 gauge shot shell for the little cap on the stem. Got it from Boswell Pipes in PA. Came with everything here except for two of tobaccos. Excited about the pouch as now I'm more portable with my pipes.
That cap adds a real nice touch, wonder if they could figure out how to work a .308 for me . I have a respectable post transition Barling, nothing special, but it does nice with my favorite blend from my local tobacconist.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #394
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

This one was 130. Includes everything except two of the ounces of tobacco in the pic. Great price in my opinion for a pipe completely hand carved (looks sand blasted but actually chip carved) , and they get great reviews. Everything I read online was extremely positive about them,and lots of people said they bought stuff that wasn't on the website just by calling or emailing. They have a large gallery so you can get an idea for what their work looks like.

Shoot them an email, they have large stock in their shop and will be happy to find you something if you know what you're looking for. I told them I wanted a shotshell pipe, and I had pictures of the most recently carved one in my inbox shortly and offers to continue to send me pictures as they were carved. I believe they have pipes that start in the 70s.

Pretty sure the reason they only post a few on the website is that they don't do online ordering so trying to manually update pipes as they sold would be a pain. I called to place my order and my packing receipt was hand written from a pad of order forms like at a Chinese takeout place. Only digital receipt was from the credit card. Pretty cool

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #395
rifraf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff

That cap adds a real nice touch, wonder if they could figure out how to work a .308 for me . I have a respectable post transition Barling, nothing special, but it does nice with my favorite blend from my local tobacconist.
I'll post a better pic later where you can see the stamping. It's pretty cool . This is my first "expensive" pipe.. I probably won't be able to tell the difference at all but I'm excited to have it.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #396
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Have looked at a lot of pipes and I just could'nt bring myself to paying $100 for just one. I think the most I spent was $50.

Have always wondered if there truely is a difference. Just not enough to wanna learn first hand.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #397
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Similar situation with my Boswell shot shell. I ordered a pipe off the website, but there was a mix up and it had already been sold. They called back and I told them that what I was REALLY looking for was one of their shot shells. Dan had pictures too me shortly of one in their shop and we made the deal.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #398
rifraf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
Have looked at a lot of pipes and I just could'nt bring myself to paying $100 for just one. I think the most I spent was $50.

Have always wondered if there truely is a difference. Just not enough to wanna learn first hand.
I can assure you I can't tell the difference, but since I stumbled on their site a year ago something kept drawing me back to admire them. Probably the handmade/ made in America stuff and their unique rustic appearance. Finally decided to just bite the bullet because it was clear to me I wanted one more than a a passing interest.

My mom used to tell me to write down what I wanted for my birthday or Christmas a month in advance. If I still wanted it a month later I probably actually wanted it. This reminded me of that lol

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #399
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yeah, I doubt I could tell the difference between some really old high quality briar like pre-transition Barlings are famous for or what most pipes are made out of today. However, I can tell the difference between one that smokes good and one that doesn't...I just figure that if it smokes good it is well made.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #400
rifraf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff
Yeah, I doubt I could tell the difference between some really old high quality briar like pre-transition Barlings are famous for or what most pipes are made out of today. However, I can tell the difference between one that smokes good and one that doesn't...I just figure that if it smokes good it is well made.
QFT. I will say my Boswell smoked much better than any other "first smoke" with my other pipes. No gurgle, never got hot, smooth. Is that placebo? Maybe. But I liked it.

Quick Reply