Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
... I miss the Block Buster and other large video rental places. They always had a decent collection of old movies. Now with RedBox and BlockBuster kiosks the selection is very limited.
I hear ya on that Dan. We had some great movie rental places around. Old movies ... documentaries and non-fiction too, which I've always liked. Not even the libraries carry much of that stuff now.

About 4 years ago I went into an independent movie rental place after not having rented a movie in a while.
I asked the girl at the counter whether they had a certain movie (An American Werewolf in London, if I remember) and she said yes and that she would go get it for me. I thanked her.

When she came back to the counter she had a DVD ... I said "Oh ... no, no ... I need a tape". The five or so people standing around looked at me curiously with I think a mixture of pity and horror for a moment ... finally when she figured I was actually serious, she giggled and said "oh no, we haven't had tapes in a long time".
I thanked her, and my better-half and I beat a hasty retreat. But before we could make it to the door a little red-haired boy of about 7 years old or so very helpfully offered that I could also play dvd's on my Playstation. I thanked him too; and feeling very old and with my pride barely intact, left the store with swmbo trying to keep from laughing so hard that her eyes were watering.
Had a pretty good laugh in the car.

(btw: I had a VCR/DVD deck but it had recently died and we still wanted to watch the movie on the television set)
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1689 Times on 1179 Posts
Likes Given: 2875

I try to limit tobacco smoking to once or twice a year. I finally won the battle with tobacco and the nicorette lozenges after that, and dont want to backslide.

But I gotta say, when I have had a rough day, first thing I fantasize about is heading to Egyptian Cafe and sitting down with a nice Turkish Coffee and a hookah full of honey shisha. THATS pipesmoking at its finest . Wonder if those guys would recognize me anymore...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #33
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

When I lived in England, I used to smoke my pipe using "flake" tobacco at the pub on Sunday. There was an older retired guy called "Tinker" who I always gave my tin to as I only smoked one when I left for lunch.. When I left England, he gave me his grandfather's handmade cherry wood pipe. I have to go to the smoke shop, get some "flake" and have a pipe!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #34
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1937 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Oakbarn, is that an F-4 Phantom I see in your avatar!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
oakbarn

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

RF 4 C I was a Recce Puke. To see what I did, google RF4C Noise Now. Nice UTube video I think of the Reno ANG playing.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #36
Tenspeed
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When we go camping we'll do either cigars or pipes as a group. We generally go from Friday through Sunday, and Saturday night is when we'll break out the nice cigars (at least $10 each) or the pipes.

As an ex-smoker I was hesitant but I've found that as long as I limit myself to only smoking these things and ONLY when we go camping, I don't have any issues. The cravings for a cigarette never seem any worse afterward, either. I just have the time and the place where I can smoke a cigar or a pipe, and I can't do it elsewhere.

Ten

#1: Empty
#2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Mr. Beer: Empty
Bottled: Cherry Apple Cider, Red Ale

Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
natureboy68
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great thread Dan!
I started pipe smoking years ago, wanted to emulate the old timers! I use corn cob, but I want to get some estate briar and meerschaum, and of course a calabash, I also want a cigarette holder a'la FDR...I like all blends, and recently tried Sherlock Holmes favorite, I forget the name but it's smoky flavor...yum!
I save it mostly for cool nights, with a dark beer...or scotch!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4838 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a modest collection of pipes. Some briar, some cobb, a few basket briars, and a churchwarden. Of a dozen pipes, two are my favorite. An Italian Spitfire and my churchwarden. The churchwarden is an awesome pipe to sit with. The stem is so long on mine that the bowl reaches down to your lap. But, it gurgles and is a PITA to keep clean.

I love to smoke a pipe. Usually a bowl of blue note. I love to savour the vanilla, caramel, and coconut notes of the blend. Right now I can think of nothing better than a bowl of Blue Note and a fine, neat, rum.

It just takes so damned long to smoke a bowl.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #39
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nothing beats a nice pipe full of flake, balkan, or perique! I have a few Petersons and a Svenborg- I used to go to pipe shows with my boss and shamelessly reaped the rewards

Better still- I'm moving to a new place with a front porch. Load a pipe, crack a homebrew, and enjoy some porch-sitting. Oh yeah.

Also, it will be nice to no longer live with roommates. Smokers, and I want to quit smoking cigs (again). Pipes and cigars never gave me addiction problems when I didn't smoke cigarettes. Pure enjoyment, not compulsive behavior. And I won't have to store my brewing gear in the 7-10 days between brew days. It can all sit out in my house...err...workshop with attached bedroom. (Sometimes it pays to be single)

Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #40
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not a pipe smoker, but I found this in a box of my grandfathers old stuff. It's made out of some type of plastic-clay and apparently someone in the 60's took the time to knit a particularly hideous looking covering for the base of the pipe. The bowl in it is about 2' inches deep.

Quick Reply