Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #161
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

That's IT!! I'm getting a pipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #162
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I am smoking my own drug store blend tonight accompanied with 2 fingers of 23 year Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera. And looking up the backside of a Laura Croft game toon.

The blend is equal parts Price Albert, Half and Half, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic plus 2 parts Captain Black White. It's actually a really good smoke!

I call it "Half Black Prince Raleigh".

I opted out of buying new tins of Blue Note or Dunhill. You've already seen what I have in bags. Instead I decided I'll just rehydrate (done) what I have and smoke those until they are gone this time. Then I'll decide if it's time to put the pipes back away for a bit or buy something new.

The game room smells amazing tho'. It's hard not to get a taste for a pipe when you suck in the note of that room.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #163
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1876 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

Not smoking tonight but feeling nostalgic. I wasn't even born when these first four songs were made but enjoy them very much. I was thinking about starting a new thread and posting the music there, but figure I'll take a chance and just post a couple of my favorites here.

The last one I'm posting is sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Brudda Iz. I was alive then, think he was younger than me. He passed away a few years back.

Brudda Iz, was a great man and brought some beautiful music to this world. I wish I would have had the chance to meet him. His music is very moving and full of life.

One of my favorites is his "Somwhere Over the Rainbow". A meledy of Somewhere over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World.

There was a time in my life when I got up at 4 am everyday to go to work. This was my wake-up song.

One of my favorite Louie Armstrong songs and was sung by Brudda Iz who combined it with Somewhere over the Rainbow. Here's "What a Wonderful World", by Louie Arstrong. Might look for the Brudda Iz version and put it here too.

Brudda Iz, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #164
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Stop smoking your pipes and go to sleep :P

Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #165
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just go on youtube and type in Alf Garnet on "Smoking and Drinking" that will cheer you up (If you like British Humour)

Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #166
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 521

So I bought a pipe on Friday and a pouch of tobacco. They wouldn't let me buy anything flavoured, and instead said I shoudl start out with a "mellow blend". Well this mellow blend just tastes like cigarette tobacco (gross) and does not smell nice like the pipes I've smelled old men smoking before.

Should I just buy a different tobacco, like backwoods or something? I need a better "starters" blend I guess - so what's something you'd recommend to a child looking to smoke their first pipe? That'd probably be what I'm looking for...

Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #167
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Paulster, when I bought my pipe a couple years ago, I did so from a tobacconist near my college. He made his own blends and everything. Look for something vanilla-y. Those have been the best tasting and smelling, from one novice to another.

Dan - My brother has actually started turning pipes on our lathe, made me a featherweight one that I have yet to break in. Waiting for a nice fall day to sit under a tree at our family property in Western Wisconsin. If you are interested in buying a pipe hand-turned here in the States with Olive-wood, let me know. I'm sure we could work something out.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.
Dan Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #168
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
So I bought a pipe on Friday and a pouch of tobacco. They wouldn't let me buy anything flavoured, and instead said I shoudl start out with a "mellow blend". Well this mellow blend just tastes like cigarette tobacco (gross) and does not smell nice like the pipes I've smelled old men smoking before.

Should I just buy a different tobacco, like backwoods or something? I need a better "starters" blend I guess - so what's something you'd recommend to a child looking to smoke their first pipe? That'd probably be what I'm looking for...
Wouldn't let you buy anything flavored? What's the name of the store, Pipe Nazi?

1.)The majority of "flavored" tobaccos I've heard of were the "cherry", "vanilla", "Liquer/Spirits (ie Bourbon, etc..)" varieties and they aren't so much a flavor as the are a familiar aroma. Sort of like "flavored" incense. Make sense? However, some tobaccos are flavored with liquers to lend them some familar taste and to enhance the sweetness.

2.)I only suggest a child smoke cigarillos. Easier to light. Easier to hide. Offered with flavors.

3.)What pipe did you buy?

4.)I'd have suggested a mellow blend too.

5.)I'd also suggest you smoke a mellow blend through until you've built a nice char (seasoned) on the inside of the bowl as the oils/liquers of the cheaper "flavored" blends could easily taint the pipe and make it taste off no matter what you smoke in it.

6.)For an aromatic smoke look for tobacco blends with Latakia, Perique, Cavendish, or "oriental" (Turkish) in them.

7.)No offense intended, just an FYI to bear in mind. a.)Pipes are like cigars wherein the smoke is not meant to be inhaled. You can of course but ... b.)Pipes are meant to be "puffed" on gently and smoothly. Puff too fast and the bowl gets hot, puff too slow and it goes out. c.)Some tobacco's are very "wet" or "oily" and create a rather bitter ooze that can be drawn through and into the mouth. If you experience this it means you are either puffing too fast or the tobacco is too wet. You can leave the tobacco open to let it air dry.

8.)Some "ready rubbed" tin tobacco's need to be rubbed out more to loosen them up and make for easier pipe loading. "Rubbing out" means separating the strands after they've been pressed into a tin. Get a big bowl, take a pinch or two at a time, and rub the tobacco in your palms letting it fall into the bowl. Plan on having something other than the original tin to keep the rubbed tobacco in as it will doubtfully all fit back in.

9.)It is very rare to see a nicotine content listed on pipe tobacco. However, the niocotine content does vary wildly between leaf types, and brands. Pipe smoking is not so much about the nicotine (especially if you don't inhale)as it is the enjoyment of smoke and aroma.

10.)Take care of your pipe and it will last forever. Clean it after each use and it will never taint. A cork "thumper" will help. It is used to tap your pipe against to knock the ash out. Here is a nice write up on cleaning and care of a pipe. http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/cleaning.cfm
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #169
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

.....was gonna post something.....but Gila knocked the ball out of the park!!!!

Nice post man.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #170
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Cool thanks. It was just a cheap pipe ($35) to start with. Maybe that's why they insisted I get the regular tobacco - to season it with. Makes sense now.

Wife isn't keen on the whole "taking up smoking" thing so smelling like cigarettes isn't the best idea. Figured I could get it to pass by having a nice aroma instead. Weird cause she doesn't care about cigars, but who ever thought women made sense anyway? Also I know not to inhale! Man I'd probably pass out if I did that.

I'll give it another go this week and see how it all works out before trying an aroma tobacco. Eventually I'd like to obtain a church warden so I can pull it out on the sailboat one evening and impress all the old men with my mad gandalf-like skillz.

Quick Reply