Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #131
rifraf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Got both of mine from www.pipesandcigars.com. Very happy with the pipes and the service, prices were very good. Local shop had the Savenilli for almost double the price.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #132
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

This thread has inspired me. I got out my pipe last night. I had a bag of Black Cordial that was still moist. So i enjoyed a bowl. I may stop on the way home for some fresh stuff while i rehydrate the others i have.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Dan Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #133
cabron99
"Torcedor"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Smoking a pipe is like getting a part time job! Ha! I collected many Caminettos and Ascortis before the prices skyrocketed. Fill them with Bayou Night from Cornel & Diehl. Great smoke, not for the beginner, though. Love cigars also, but any fool can smoke a cigar... it takes a little talent to smoke a pipe.
I am reminded of this quote: "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and reflect and a fool something to put in his mouth"
Can't remember who originally said that, but have enjoyed it much.

Life is too short for cheap cigars

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #134
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 2742

Cornel & Diehl! I forgot about that place. Pretty wide selection of tobacco if I remember correctly. I never heard that quote Cabron99 but like it!

I use to go to a couple of tobacco places in Ventura, (early 90's) all I remember about one in particular was an older storefront, rocking chairs inside and you could smoke in there.

We use to have a place in Hawaii, I think it was called The Cigar Emporium, but I could be getting that mixed up with something else. It's been a few years. It was a cigar and pipe place. Nice sized walk in humidor, good selection of pipes. Had a couple of oversized leather chairs and a big screen TV. AND there was a nice pub in the next room. You could order a beer from the bar and sit in an overstuffed chair and smoke a pipe or cigar watching a game or whatever. I spent a good number of Sunday afternoons there. There was also a small restaurant attached. So a guy could go there, smoke, eat, drink watch a game - it was heaven on earth. But it was only open for a few years and closed. I never understood that.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #135
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4749 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We use to have a place in Hawaii, I think it was called The Cigar Emporium, but I could be getting that mixed up with something else. It's been a few years. It was a cigar and pipe place. Nice sized walk in humidor, good selection of pipes. Had a couple of oversized leather chairs and a big screen TV. AND there was a nice pub in the next room. You could order a beer from the bar and sit in an overstuffed chair and smoke a pipe or cigar watching a game or whatever. I spent a good number of Sunday afternoons there. There was also a small restaurant attached. So a guy could go there, smoke, eat, drink watch a game - it was heaven on earth. But it was only open for a few years and closed. I never understood that.
New "clean air" Health regulations have cause a couple of places around here to close their smoke rooms, some just closed their shops completely. The appeal was to have a place to enjoy a cigar/pipe without potential of offending a non-smoker, fumigating a house with lingering odors, or having to keep a stock at home.

Regs imposed split, dedicated, and monitored filtration systems on dedicated HVAC to smoke sealed spaces or licensure was revoked. Of course, the building permits required to provide such improvements also imposed accessibility requirements and many were just too overburdened by the cost of improvements given such a niche market.

Wonder if the world will ever see ePipes with McBaren Virginia No.1 juice. Bah!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #136
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This place had a filtration system built in. Even when it was crowded and many people were smoking it was never smokey in there. The building was a stand alone. Just a shame they closed down.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #137
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This place had a filtration system built in. Even when it was crowded and many people were smoking it was never smokey in there. The building was a stand alone. Just a shame they closed down.
Sure, sure, but the new regs required the smoking area be segregated from gen pop by smoke sealed barriers and the HVAC systems had to be split off from the mercantile areas.

It's also why many restaurants abandoned having smoke rooms installed.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #138
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ahh... to depressing.

But I have good news, well at least for me. I just checked on my McBarens Virginia no 1 order, it has shipped and will be here next Wednesday!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #139
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Just learned that my local doesn't have any Frog Morton in stock so, I went to look at reviews of popular blends. Came across one for McClelland Virginia 35 Stave-Aged. they put a bit of a bourbon barrel in each tin to impart character/aroma.

sounds awesome.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #140
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here's a usual problem for me. It burns down the center, charring a layer, and leaving the edge untouched. I was barely into the bowl when the weak smoke that I had started falling off. It's an accidental blend of 2 or 3 captain blacks. Spilled tobacco became consolidated tobacco.

image-3375142520.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply