Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Photographers I need your help buying a camera!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
GodsStepBrother
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Photographers I need your help buying a camera!

My fiance has in charged me with buying a good camera, around $500 dollars. Not to big, not to small. What would be a good choice? Cameras and taking pictures in general just are not my thing, and I am tired of researching. Photography is a world as diverse as the brewing world. If you have the patience to brew, and you like photography then I have no one to ask but a brewer!

What would you get with that budget?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
1Q84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I got my fiancee one of these not too long ago. Not a bad starting point for cameras to look at. I like Canon's products more than Nikon's as a whole.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digit.../dp/B001CBKJGG

Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Get Canon Eos rebel. Comes with a 18-55 mm lens which will cover most situations for general picture taking. If you want to a Zoom at some point you can easily pick up a longer lens later.

In auto mode it takes good pictures with the push of the button. On mine the settings are pretty self explanatory, (from memory) a guy running for action, Mountain for landscape, person for portraits, and a flower for closeups and a green box for everything. The camera makes all adjustments and takes a good picture. Your wife wont carry it in a purse, but I'm sure she has a cell phone camera, for that.

Between Canon and Nikon its really what brand you started with, as the accessories are not interchangeable brand to brand but are from older canon to newer canon. When you get into high end cameras there are some differences.

FYI I have the first Digital Rebel that came out about 10 years ago. I have taken probably 15K photos. It has never failed me in 10 or so years. I backpackes thru europe with it, left it out at partys for my friends to use etc. Never a glitch.

A 10 Megapixel camera will give you prints Good 20" x 30" Better 17" x 22" Best 11" x 14

Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Looking for a DSLR or a point and shoot? Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm a Nikon fanatic, and have been for years. I'm not a big fan of Nikon's lower end DSLR's however. Canon makes a much better DSLR at the price point that you're looking at. Canon also makes slightly better point and shoot cameras.

Take a look at my friend's website. Ken Rockwell.com. This is a link to his "recommended camera" page. Take some time to familiarize yourself with what's out there and then you can make an informed decision. You'll be glad you did. Ken has so much info that can help you as you get into photography.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thank you so much guys, you have really demystified a lot of noob questions.

We are liking both of those, the EOS we are leaning to more. Where would be a good place to buy it. Online no doubt?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on Canon EOS

Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Just guessing Amazon will probably be your best bet. They had some under your price point. and had some packages as well, that were slightly over. The online camera retailers are andromana, B&H, and calumet, but they are going to cater higher end pro grade stuff. I would check best buy, amazon, ebay if you want to go that route.

Starting out some extras I would buy are a extra battery, case, and a extra chip or two. Battery life is good, but you can't always find a place to charge up when you need to. I have a couple ebay batterys and chargers, they work great for the price, vs a Canon name brand battery and charger. I stick with Canon lenses, but as for accessories most of mine are not canon brand.

Note if it says Body only there is no lens with it. As I said lens's are somewhat interchangeable among canon cameras so for me I would just buy a body since I already have a selection of lenses.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Set an e-mail alert on slickdeals.net for a few camera brands.

When a great deal happens on a major site like Amazon it usually gets posted on there pretty fast.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother View Post
Thank you so much guys, you have really demystified a lot of noob questions.

We are liking both of those, the EOS we are leaning to more. Where would be a good place to buy it. Online no doubt?
I get all my gear from either Amazon or Adorama Camera in NYC. Amazon is almost impossible to beat for price, and their customer service is awesome, but you won't be able to get any technical support from Amazon if you need it. Adorama on the other hand, is second to none with technical expertise and their customer service is on par with amazon. Adorama also has a great trade in program for when you're ready to trade up to higher end equipment. They've always paid me top dollar for my used equipment.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

IMO if your not going to be messing with settings or take a class dont get a DSLR i did it was way more advanced than i needed ... get a good point and shoot like that new one ashton kutcher has a commercial for .........

no sence getting a dslr and shooting on auto IMO

Quick Reply