Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Philosophy Question - Freedom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
markm2151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Philosophy Question - Freedom

Yesterday in my legal philsopy class, the question arised as to where do people think their freedom comes from. This is not a political question, nor is this suppossed to be a debate. I'm honestly curious, the vast majority of us being Americans, why do you think you have freedom? Can you point to something that provides you with this freedom? Go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Freedom in what sense?

My generic answer is that my freedom lies in the free will I am able to exert which was given to me by my creator(either in a religious sense, or biological..take your pick)

Now what guarantees freedom, that's something all together different. Guarantee is a very absolute word and I would argue that their is no guarantee of freedom. There are thankfully institutions(governmental, social, other) that uphold a certain level of freedom and unfortunately there are counterparts of the same types of institutions that erode it and IMO government is at the top of both of those lists. When it really comes down to freedom on a microcosmic level the only thing that protects freedom is force, and your ability to have greater force than those wanting to restrict your freedom.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
I'm honestly curious, the vast majority of us being Americans, why do you think you have freedom?
Curious question being that the US is one of the least free among the industrialized nations... and becoming less free every day....

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I prefer an existential approach. My freedom is self derived and only limited by the restrictions placed upon me by consequence of action.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
headbanger Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

That's easy the Women and Men who serve this country in our armed forces and those who have served and the many who made the ultimate sacrifice. They Sacrifice, they Protect and Defend us and our freedom!

THANK YOU!!! to every single one of them!

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-brew-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
rs4life
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR
That's easy the Women and Men who serve this country in our armed forces and those who have served and the many who made the ultimate sacrifice. They Sacrifice, they Protect and Defend us and our freedom!

THANK YOU!!! to every single one of them!
The US Military has done nothing since the Civil War even remotely related to protecting our freedom. Not one country or group of people besides our government (who employs the military) has tried to take away our freedom. I am a huge supporter of our servicemen and women and the sacrifices they make but they have done nothing for freedom. Freedom of other countries however, that is debatable. Ours is not.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I think that Freedom is the ability to make a choice and deal with the rewards and consequences. Every human has a certain amount of freedom. Even the most oppressed. Total freedom is impossible because it's impossible to do what you want without infringing on the freedom of someone else.

As far as why do I think I have freedom, I think I have it because it's our primal desire to be free. Humans were nomadic people for nearly all of their existence, I don't think it's natural to not want to be free and to explore, and so on. As far as what provides us with freedom, I think rebellion is the best source. Whether in small amounts or large amounts. Every Empire that's ever existed has fallen, and it always will because of our desire to be free.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I think I have freedom because 237 years ago people like me made themselves free. They fought and died for it and obtained what they wanted.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark

I believe I am free because people like me would rather die trying to be free than not be free.

'Merica

Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2846

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Our forefathers had the same question and wrote this in their declaration to England. So, while freedom is protected through law and military, it is a birthright, unalienable and unassailable, in this country.
People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
ctrlpabrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."
- Declaration of Independence, 4 July 1776
^ This is probably the most eloquent way to put it...

Simply put - I believe our freedom is a gift from our Creator.

...and passedpawn beat me to it...

Quick Reply