Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pets and why we hate them...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #71
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulrebel View Post
I'm guessing your Cane Corso needed little training to be a personal protection dog. Most dogs will naturally protect thier pack. I would prefer a little of the instinct to be trained out of my GSD but thats another story. I think you end up with the pet that you were meant to have. A few lessons learned on both sides are what pets are for.

To the OP, Dude try taking your dog out about every hour and a half and teaching it to "go potty" on command. It takes very little effort. When you take them out and they start to go, repeat the phrase of choice. Both of my dogs (GSD and Heeler) will squirt even if they dont "have to." I'll also second(3rd, 4th?) the "it takes a team" posts. Cheers.
He didnt need a lot, but I put him thru a lot to make sure in real life situations he would not run off when threatened. He was trained in prey and defensive drive to make sure he is well rounded. I use to bring him to my store every day to socalize him with people, because without that sometimes they get a little too attached to one person and more guard oriented.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #72
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthorn View Post
Just wanted to say HEY to other Schutzhund folks out there. For those who don't know, Schutzhund is a three-part sport: Obedience, Tracking, and Protection. A dog competes in the all three phases during a trial. It is a sport these days, but started as a temperament test by the guy who founded the German Shepherd Dog breed 110 years ago. He found that other people were selling similar looking dogs as GSDs even though they lacked the behavioral characteristics he had worked so hard to bring to the breed. He developed the Schutzhund test as a way to weed out the weaker dogs - you didn't have a real German Shepherd unless it could pass the three phase exam.

My wife has been training dogs all her life, starting with Shelties in AKC obedience. She took up Schutzhund when we got our first German Shepherd over 15 years ago and we've been a GSD-only household since then. Every dog has earned their SchHIII (highest level of the sport) and we've even had a couple go to the National and North American championships. On the field they are bad-asses, but they're regular dogs around the house. I still wouldn't recommend adopting a threatening posture and giving prolonged eye contact though. That goes not just for our animals, but any dog of reasonable size...

Pics of my dogs in the Pets - Why We Love Them thread
Great info for the people looking to get into the sport! I had to do a powerpoint on Schutzhund past and present day, if I can find it I will shoot it over to ya for your opinion.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #73
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Cats crap in your mouth while you are sleeping.
Yep, that's what causes "morning breath." I do like cats though, well I like MY cat. Some (not all) cats are better used as fish bait, but then I could say the same about some dogs & some humans too. Regards, GF.
Edit: No, I didn't mean any cats, dogs, or humans on this site... Just thought I should put that disclaimer out there.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #74
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

in response to the coyote pup. My dog Chief was half coyote. great gentle dog. Loved kids, was trainable if he saw benefit for him. he knew if you had the treat and ignored you without food.

Main problem was some housebreaking issues. he would go outside, but if it was raining out he would just as well drop in a corner.

Also the escape thing. We had a ten foot fence with an overhang and he would still get out. Killed rabbits, birds, chickens, cats. and left them all on our door step during his three day excursions away from the house. catching him was not an option unless the kids at the bus stop grabed him. he would only get within range of kids while running.

Great dog and i'd love to get another dog with some spark in them again

Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #75
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Yesterday was grooming/annual vaccine day. Over $300 including a 7 month supply of Revolution. Meh...I guess it's not that bad.

I switched vets and this vet questioned the previous vet always giving a 'lepto' shot (I think that's what they called it). And there was some 'combo' shot (I think parvo was included among others) they gave that the other vet didn't. Strange. But for whatever reason I feel more comfortable with the new vet (which was why I changed, previous vet felt like an auto repair shop with 'free' brake inspections).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #76
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We've been reading one of Cesar Milan's book because we have a 'bad dog'. Of course the problem is us..not the dog. We treat our dogs like family too much, so they don't think they are dogs, and don't fall into line in the 'pack' like they should.

I also think he's got some mental issues...reading about 'fear/aggression' issues, it seems like he can only react in two ways...hiding or a full on attack. If he can identify the 'threat' he always attacks (which is bad for our other dog who is pretty well behaved and timid).

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #77
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow... they were right when they said that you'd take some slack for this post! I personally couldn't live without dogs. That being said, I don't even consider those small dogs like Yorkies to be "dogs". I'm a big dog kinda guy. Last two dogs have been boxers and they're amazing.

Yeah, puppies will poop on the floor every once in a while. Don't babys $hit in their pants? Training is what all dogs need. They need a PACK LEADER. If you don't become the alpha in the group, they will walk all over you. They need structure and it sounds like your girlfriend can't provide that for them and you're unwilling to do so.

Best of luck to you! One more thing, make sure you don't freak out on the dog if it does $hit on the floor. If you do, they'll learn how to push your buttons!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Quick Reply