Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pets and why we hate them...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #31
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystevecf View Post
Please for the love of god no one follow this advice. My dog would rip your arm off and so will most personal protection trained, police trained,SCHh and guard dogs.
I think it depends actually. Dogs are supposed to receive eye contact as a sign of aggression, which obviously would be a bad thing. BUT, you can train your dog a little on that front when they are young by rewarding docile behaviour while making eye contact.

I certainly wouldn't try staring down someone other person's dog though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
House breaking a dog is simple. Crate it with an appropriate sized crate (not to big, not to small) when you can't keep a constant eye on it. When you can watch it constantly, limit it to only one room and every time it starts to squat to poop/pee, yell "no" and take it outside. Keep the area it's allowed to roam free small until it's no longer squating to poop/pee in that area then gradually make the area larger.

You'll have it trained in 3 weeks to a month.
+1

We have 1 real dog (looks and acts just like a catahoula), 2 "half dogs" (corgi's), and 1 football (pomeranian). We've had to potty train all 4 as is normal with ANY dog.

The pomeranian is a pup and spends a good amount of time in her kennel where going to the bathroom means that she has to/ gets to play in her own excrement. She's slowly getting better about going to the bathroom OUTSIDE not INSIDE.

With any dog accidents happen (ya know... like when you had that fish burrito from the taco truck...), but with training most dogs will be pretty darn good about not going to the bathroom inside.

Some, however, do go to the bathroom as a F*** YOU - generally on your bed....
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #33
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
The pomeranian is a pup and spends a good amount of time in her kennel where going to the bathroom means that she has to/ gets to play in her own excrement.
I was told (or I read) that when they 'go' in the crate you want to clean it up ASAP. That's what their mother would have done in their den (in a quite disgusting way but w/e).

Catching them 'in the act' does seem to be important though. You can tell when they're looking for a spot, and catch them before they even really squat. Just a really loud "No!" and then picking them up and putting them outside, then praise when they go outside; plus the crating, has always worked for me. You can even 'set them up'...you know they're gonna go right after eating or waking up.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #34
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4620 Times on 4308 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Nothing beterr than warm, fibrous, gooey gift packlages between your toes in the mornings as you stumble your way to toilet.

Cats!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #35
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
House breaking a dog is simple. Crate it with an appropriate sized crate (not to big, not to small) when you can't keep a constant eye on it. When you can watch it constantly, limit it to only one room and every time it starts to squat to poop/pee, yell "no" and take it outside. Keep the area it's allowed to roam free small until it's no longer squating to poop/pee in that area then gradually make the area larger.

You'll have it trained in 3 weeks to a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I was told (or I read) that when they 'go' in the crate you want to clean it up ASAP. That's what their mother would have done in their den (in a quite disgusting way but w/e).

Catching them 'in the act' does seem to be important though. You can tell when they're looking for a spot, and catch them before they even really squat. Just a really loud "No!" and then picking them up and putting them outside, then praise when they go outside; plus the crating, has always worked for me. You can even 'set them up'...you know they're gonna go right after eating or waking up.
To be clear - the excrement is cleaned up pretty quickly. When we're out of the house, though, she's in the crate. Recently we've been coming home to a clean kennel.

I guess we all forgot to mention the "pup just won the world F*n series" cheering when they go to the bathroom in an appropriate spot...
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #36
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Then you go ahead and take the chance to find out...
As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #37
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I grew up with large dogs my entire life. My wife has an old bitchin freeze that vomits on everything and loves to spill garbage and spread it around the house. I just love that little yipper

I will get a real dog again when the kids are older and we can affoard a nice in-ground electric fence. I want an Irish wolf hound. Wanted one my whole life.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #38
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
bitchin freeze
LOL! At least it's hypo-allergenic...allegedly. I used to have a Basenji which is also hypo-allergenic...allegedly.

Some dogs are just easy. My dog just won't 'stray' no matter what. I have gaps under my fence that I could crawl under but he just won't run off. Maybe having him fixed at about 10 months helped.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #39
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.
I couldn't agree more. I can't even ride my damn bike through our thug infested neighborhood, because of the pit bulls and other unchained mutts. You don't even understand the self control it takes not to start sniping dogs with the 10/22.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #40
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Please for the love of god no one follow this advice. My dog would rip your arm off and so will most personal protection trained, police trained,SCHh and guard dogs.
You give Schutzhund dogs a bad name. Schutzhund training should only be undertaken with stable, well adjusted animals - more so when one undertakes civil work associated with protection training. These dogs should also complete significant obedience training before undertaking serious bite work (obedience is part of the Schutzhund training). Generally speaking, police trained dogs are very stable, no department can afford to have a bite machine that will react to perceived threats such as eye contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Point is, some dogs will respond to extended eye contact as a challenge therefore it is not good practice.

Quick Reply