Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pet insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
BrewWench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
I used to be the hardass that always said that I would just take it out back and put it down.
But I now don't think I could do that. My dogs and my cat are my kids, but only better. They are always happy to see me, always want to play with me and never say " I hate you"..
Yeah, I definitely think it's different when you're actually faced with a decision like that. Our cat got into some poison, and in the end, required over $500 worth of kidney flushing, antibiotics, intensive care, etc. I just can't imagine letting something like that die, for something like that - it's not dying of cancer, it's a one-time thing we have to get rid of. The cat is perfectly fine now, and that was money well-spent.

I think it depends on a lot - the age of the animal included. I certainly don't understand why someone would pay so much money for an animal and then refuse it treatment.

Anyway, in summary, if you can't afford to take proper care of an animal - and that may include some medical treatments - then don't have a pet. You take up responsibility for that animal's life and well-being when you take that animal into your home.

And how that can be misinterpreted as "animals are more important than people" is beyond me, but it happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus View Post
I'm indifferent about the whole situation...

My parents had a Cocker Spaniel who had a great fulfilling life, when he was 15 years old he became ill and passed through the night 2 months shy of being 16 years old. That dog never gave my parents any trouble, he had the usual check-up visits and typical vet bills, never had I heard my parents complain about the bill being high... for a pooch like that I don't see the need for insurance, my parents had a great run with him and he wasn't a burden on the family's finances.

Now there's my Aunt and Uncle, they had a Golden Retriever who never made it past 10 years of age, that dog was constantly at the vet and underwent surgery 3 times to remove lumps on him... the first lumps were found when the pooch was 7, then 2 more times later on... I remember my uncle sold his Harley to pay for the medical bills for their dog... in that situation I think pet insurance would have helped them greatly...

but, you just can't tell when you are buying an animal how long they'll live...

My SIL and BIL wanted a dog so bad they took a loan out to buy it, 5 years later the dog died and to this day are still paying for it...

My solution: Tropical Fish.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a sensitive subject, I love dogs, but I grew up on a farm... animals are just that, they serve a purpose and once it's their time there is no changing that. I won't get a dog or cat b/c things are too expensive these days and I'm more concerned about feeding and making sure my family is healthy first.

To each their own, I say if you have pets then the insurance wouldn't hurt.
I agree with everything you said with the exception of no pets. I love my dog like she is my child. The reason I want the insurance is because if something happened I couldn't really justify spending around $5,000 for something. SWMBO's sister's boyfriend had a great Boxer/Sharpay/Lab mix. He was around 13 or so last year when things started to go wrong. So the BIL takes him in for a $6,000 surgery, and the dog dies two days later.

It is a touchy subject and everyone is different.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
BrewWench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This IS a touchy subject - I thought beer was supposed to chill people out!

Anyway, I also grew up raising animals for meat, so I don't think it's just a matter of not accepting death like someone said previously. But whether it's a farm animal or a cat/dog, you take care of the animals you accepted.

And our cat is only a year or 2 old - if she was already at death's door and then swallowed some poison, I'd figure she was trying to off herself anyway and let her go.

We don't have pet insurance, but maybe it would be a good idea. They never get loose outside, so it doesn't seem like much of a chance for anything happening, really.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You know how they say you can't put a price on the love of an animal? Well guess what I can it is fairly close to $3,700, I spent that on my dog after he got hit by a car, and well I think that is pretty much my upper limit at this point.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I worked for a company that, as part of the normal health insurance package, also offered pet insurance.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much to spend on an animal's vet treatments is a delicate issue for many people. For me, a good question to ask when facing a large vet bill is "Will this make the animal feel better, or will it just make me feel better that I am doing something?" I think some people spend money on their animals because they want to avoid feeling guilty for not doing so, rather than because of the benefit to the animal.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #114 Oatmeal Stout, #115 American Amber
Planned: APA, IPA, Nut Brown

Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll just chime in here with a recent experience of ours. Our cat is around 11-12 years old. Last year he started getting what looked like a cyst on his upper eyelid. The vet just told us to keep an eye on it. We came back from a weekend trip a few months later and he had scratched the "cyst" and it was bleeding. We took him to the vet again and it turns out he had a cancerous tumor on his eyelid. We took him to an advanced vet hospital and discussed various treatment options. They were talking about chemo / surgery / reconstructive surgery, etc. and we just weren't sure we could put him through all of that, let alone the thousands of $ they were talking. This place had a veterinary ophthalmologist that visited once or twice a month and it just turned out he was coming in that week so we dropped the cat off to get his opinion. He called us later in the day and said he could remove the tumor with a laser and he just happened to have the laser with him and could go ahead and do it that day and he could come home later that day! It was quite a turn of events and of course we said go ahead. He was able to blast away the tumor with the laser and it left a small divot in his eyelid and a shaved spot, both of which healed quite nicely. I think we spent somewhere around $1500 on that ordeal but it was worth it to us.

Pet insurance isn't a bad idea, but like any insurance, it's a risk/reward situation. If you pay $20 per month over 15 years of the life of a pet, that's $3,600. Maybe your pet will never need $3,600 worth of care, but maybe they will. Would you consider spending $3,600 in care for the pet? If not, maybe spending $3,600 over time is not for you. Then again, maybe the idea of spending $3,600 in small chunks is more palatable than spending $3,600 in one chunk. In the end, it's a personal decision as to how much you're willing to do for your pet.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven View Post
How much to spend on an animal's vet treatments is a delicate issue for many people. For me, a good question to ask when facing a large vet bill is "Will this make the animal feel better, or will it just make me feel better that I am doing something?"
Exactly. If it's only going to prolong the animal's life so you can have him/her around longer, that's not doing the animal any favors. If it can improve their quality of life and they will have a relatively normal life, then perhaps it is worth pursuing. I've heard so many stories where people pour absurd amounts of money into "saving" a pet, only to have the pet alive but with basically a horrible life.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Pet insurance isn't a bad idea, but like any insurance, it's a risk/reward situation. If you pay $20 per month over 15 years of the life of a pet, that's $3,600. Maybe your pet will never need $3,600 worth of care, but maybe they will. Would you consider spending $3,600 in care for the pet? If not, maybe spending $3,600 over time is not for you. Then again, maybe the idea of spending $3,600 in small chunks is more palatable than spending $3,600 in one chunk. In the end, it's a personal decision as to how much you're willing to do for your pet.
You do understand that your premium will increase as your pet ages, that is on top of co-pays....I think I would pass but that is just me...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
BrewWench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihophead View Post
You do understand that your premium will increase as your pet ages, that is on top of co-pays....I think I would pass but that is just me...
Yeah, but I bet $20 a month is the upper end of that, maybe for a large dog that is outside a lot and travels a lot with the family. People with 2 indoor cats and a house rabbit, like myself, would hopefully pay less! I'll have to look into it.

Quick Reply