Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Persistent Heartburn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
m_c_zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Persistent Heartburn

Pretty random topic here, but figured some of you out there may have/still are experiencing the same thing...

Anyhow, I've suffered from killer heartburn for about as long as I can remember. Since the age of 14 or so, I started on a daily TUMS regiment. It started out slowly, but towards the end, I was taking at least 10 or more TUMS a day and still having out-of-control heartburn. Around age 25, I started taking Wal-Mart's generic Prilosec once a day because I was sick and tired of eating chalk. I've been doing so now for a little over 3 years now. I pretty much have to take it every day because on most of the days I don't take it or forget to take it, I get heartburn. The packaging says take once a day for 14 days and then you're supposed to stop taking it, but in my case I can't. I saw a doctor about it and he really didn't tell me anything, asked me what I was taking and I told him and he said just to continue taking them everyday. He gave me some paperwork to go have some blood tests done, but I never went in, probably not the best idea, I know. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else out there experiences the same thing and what you do to avoid getting heartburn. I've tried a lot of different things, but I can't do one thing and that is change my diet even though it'd probably save me from it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like you have persistent acid reflux. Taking PPI (proton pump inhibitor) medicines like Prilosec every day for your whole life isn't a big deal, there aren't any side effects worse the misery of dealing with the stomach issues and if left untreated it can cause esophogeal cancer (basically, if your stomach overproduces digestive acids that stuff can get places it shouldn't go, like your throat. PPI medicines shut down a portion of your stomach's acid production).

There are lots of PPI's and some work better than others for some people. I've had to go through a lot of different ones in order to get the only one that works well for me to get covered by my insurance.

You also probably need an endoscopy. That will check your esophagus for anything precancerous and could also give an explanation for the persistent reflux. In my case, it explained what was going on and why only one drug seemed to help it.

Reflux can also cause bad breath, so once you get it under control, your luck with the ladies may improve.

I don't know why your doctor wouldn't have just immediately said this is what you have. It's pretty common and your experience, while a little more extreme, sounds a lot like mine. Now, 1 Aciphex a day and I'm good to go, but forget to take one in the morning I notice it in the evening.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This describes my issue exactly...it's almost scary! Starting on TUMS, then Gaviscon, and now I take generic Prilosec called Omeprezole. It works for the most part except when I forget to take it...but yeah I'm right there with you on this one.

When I went to my doctor, he told me pretty much the same thing...take a PPI, I told him what I was taking and he said that's about all I can do...I keep thinking that maybe I should insist on an endoscopy, but I never bring myself to do it. The pills seem to keep it at bay for the most part, so it doesn't get bad enough to make another doctor appointment. But the post above has me a little nervous...he said the "C" word...

Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 188

One thing though that worried me is that my girlfriend ran across an article published by the FDA that found drugs like Priolsec (Omeprezole) is known to cause magnesium deficiencies which has me worried. I've been meaning to get a supplement since reading the article...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There are a LOT of things that can change your heartburn.

Being overweight is a large contributor to heartburn.
Consumption of a number of different foods: caffeine, mint, alcohol, smoking, etc. Spicy food are not known to CAUSE heartburn by themselves, but they will make the symptoms worse.

You could potentially have a case of H.Pilori (google it for details). It's not that common but it does happen. Or even a stomach ulcer.

An endoscope is not a bad idea at all. I had one a few years back, nothing was food.

If I drink a Diet Coke and chew a mint gum after, that's the deadly one-two punch for me. Sometimes even just a glass of cold water can trigger it for me.

Tums have never worked for me. I take omeprazole (sp?) as needed, which recently has not been very common.

You may want to inquire about Nexium, it seems to help for a lot of people.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quitting smoking, eating only "real" food, and not eating too much cured me.

Real food = nothing out of a box or a can and nothing with more than 5 ingredients.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This sounds like me. I get heartburn every single day. Especially if I drink soda, coffee, or alcohol. I began taking the generic prilosec about 2 months ago and I haven't had heartburn in about 2 months. That is good enough for me...cheers!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

A few years back I had a problem with heartburn and was put on one of those daily drugs - can't recall which it was, but it worked pretty well. After a while, I went on a diet and lost 10-15lbs and was able to stop taking the medication.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I take prevacid every day. Like someone said even a glass of water would trigger the burn. I have been taking it every day for 2 yrs and I can eat/drink anything I want now.
I did th omprazole thing but it didn't work as well. Prevacid has a different ingredient to stop the burn. I sure don't miss it.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I have an intermittent problem. My #2 DIL had a serious case and has an elastic band wrapped around the top sphincter of his stomach. He got it installed when they were removing some pre-cancerous growths in his esophagus. On the plus side, he finally lost the 45 lbs he had been wrestling with for decades.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply