Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > painting 2 rooms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default painting 2 rooms

I need some painting advice. My living room and eat-in kitchen share 1 wall. this 1 wall is the back wall of the house and along this wall there are 2 windows in the living room, the back door, and then 2 windows in the kitchen. We don't want to paint both the living room and kitchen the same color. What can we do? We were hoping to do the downstairs in reds, oranges, and yellows. The dining room will be a red/wine color, I think the name of the paint is Washington Apple (not that it matters).

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

So, it's all one continuous wall, is it two "rooms" but with an open floor plan so it's really just one space? Sorry, I'm having a hard time visualizing...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
BootYtRappeR

Recipes 

we just painted one of our bedrooms: one wall is red and the other three are a cream color, the trim on the red was painted the cream color and vice-versa for the cream wall. this gave the room a very country feel.

it goes well with either dark or light wood furniture

Drinking:
Up Next:

Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

What color do you want to do the kitchen in? One shared wall could be a complimentary color without making the whole kitchen that color. For example, if you want the kitchen yellow, paint it yellow. If the living room is orange, that shared wall could be yellow, orange, red, or another complimentary color. If you look on a color wheel at the paint store, you can choose the colors you like and make the one shared wall any color you want to as long as the colors are complimentary. If the downstairs is going to be shades of red, yellow and orange, any colors with those tones (even beige-y colors with warm undertones) will work for that shared wall. I would go "less bold" on that shared wall, and use the other walls in both rooms for the contrast colors. Since you have all those openings on that wall (windows and doors), just about any complimentary color you like would work, It's not going to be a long blank wall of color, anyway.

Lorena

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

SWMBO is really good with the interior paint schemes, I'll ask her about it when I get home tonight.

Are you moved in now? If so congrats.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
todd_k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
So, it's all one continuous wall, is it two "rooms" but with an open floor plan so it's really just one space? Sorry, I'm having a hard time visualizing...
They are 2 rooms but are mostly seperated by just the rear stairs. It is not open. I tried drawing a picture but it just didn't look any good. I'll see if I can work on something today.

Quote:
What color do you want to do the kitchen in?
We wanted yellow or orange. SWMBO's friend has an orange living room and she really liked it.

Quote:
Are you moved in now?
Not even close. We want to paint first. We took 2 car loads of boxes over yesterday after the closing and threw them in the garage. We're getting a U-haul for the big stuff. I don't think we'll actually move until 2 or 3 more weeks. Our apartment lease is up on 12/22 so we have plenty of time.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Lorena is right. Take a look at any open floor plan on the houses you see on home improvement channels. You rarely see a WHOLE room in one color.

SWMBO makes fun of me because I actually have pretty decent decorating sense - and have made almost all the key color decisions on our house.

Here is what I'd do (without seeing pictures).

Take one color that you like - a fairly neutral one and use it as the base color. You carry that color throught the house (but you can start with just a couple of rooms). Paint common walls that color.

Then, take bolder colors are use them to accent. You don't paint the entire room that color, just some of the walls. This allows you to use more intense colors, but they won't dominate.

The expanded color pallete allows you to use colors to do different things. For instance, you can use a dark paint on one wall to make a room look deeper.

Why don't you post some pics!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I've done that just-paint-one-accent-wall trick. It lets you get away with using a MUCH more intense color than you could use for an entire room. We used a very intense, almost cobalt blue in the dining room of our apartment, but it was just on one wall; the rest was neutral. It looked phenomenal.

You could use a warm nuetral color as your base, then use the wine on an accent wall. Given how you've described the red, I would think a very autumnal orange, something that's warm ane earthy, could also work well as a complement. The orange will be tough, I would almost buy a quart and paint a section of the wall before you commit to a color choice. Orange is probably the most difficult color to get right.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
todd_k

Recipes 

These are the only pics of the inside I have right now, not sure if this will help any. First one is the living room, the shared wall is the right wall in the photo.

This is the kitchen (duh). I had my back to the shared wall when I took this photo. Like I said, I don't think this is going to help. Notice the wall on the right side, the stairs are directly to the right of this wall and the stairs face the back door and deck.

I'll try to get some more pic's tonight.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

That helps quite a bit...

Here is what I'd do:

Make that back wall DARK - the one with the fireplace. It will make it jump and become the focal point of the room. Pull a color from accent pillows on your couch or buy pillows that have that color in them. With that fireplace color, I tnink chocolate would look awesome, but it depends on furniture. On the other two walls you see and the back one - use your base color. I'd use a topue, but VERY light yellow would work too - almost like a parchment color.

You've got so much white here in cabinets you could do ANYTHING you want as far as color goes. Since that wall to your back will be neutral, you can go nuts!!

Quick Reply