The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The other hobby I do that people think is odd... straight razors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default The other hobby I do that people think is odd... straight razors

The green handled one is a Dovo and is only a couple years old. The other is about 100 years old and still gives a perfect shave. Got to love shaving with something that you'll be passing down to your kids instead of having to buy cartridges for crazy money that only last a couple uses.

I just polished and honed (sharpened with a stone) them so figured I would take a quick pic before they headed back to the bathroom for daily use.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've often considered getting something like this,actually the ones where you use a half of a razor blade but i've also been concerned i would remove my cheek whilst shaving, how easy/difficult are they to use? does it take long to master?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

I am far from a master but even then I'm happier with my shave than I was with cartridges.

As for doing damage to yourself, I won't lie, it is a razor after all so you can open yourself up if you aren't paying attention but short of really trying to kill yourself it is usually just the equivalent of a brutal paper cut, heh. As long as you draw straight up/down and don't pull across though you will generally be fine. Once you understand the basics and have a bit of practice it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

How you approach shaving is totally different with a straight razor. It is kind of hard to explain... straight shaving is more of a zen experience than a chore. Regular shaving was just grab the can lather up and do a quick shave before jumping in the shower. Straight shaving is a whole relaxing routine that really shouldn't be rushed. With practice you can do a quick shave with ease but it just isn't the same as taking the time to shave properly. I guess it would be like comparing a quick shower with a nice hot bath.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OOOOFFFFF!! I started bleeding when I saw the pics.. I HATE shaving. wonder if there's a way to have your face waxed..

Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Oh and the "half a razor blade" ones you are talking about are probably disposables. If you are going to do it I would go with a real straight. Part of why I do this is cost savings and the "green" nature of it but really it just makes sense.

With the exception of soap pucks and maybe another brush I can shave for the rest of my life with what I have in the house and all I have is a couple razors, a brush, a strop and my sharpening stones which are used for sharpening more than just the razors. For that matter so can my kids and their kids and so on. Heck the one blade is around 100 years old and is in great shape just to give you an idea.

The only real maintenance, as long as you treat them right, is sharpening them a couple times a year which only takes a few minutes.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
OOOOFFFFF!! I started bleeding when I saw the pics.. I HATE shaving. wonder if there's a way to have your face waxed..
Nair?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Nair?
I was hoping old age but that isn't helping, just a different color..

Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

All it does when you age is move to different places on your body and change color, heh.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

do you have any websites/info/youtube vids that have tips and techniques?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Kind of like HBT but for razors...
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/

It's a good start. From there you can find links to other sources and videos.

Quick Reply