Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Other Hobbies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #31
alemonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Designing/Building an experimental aircraft
Lucky.....I've wanted to fly my whole life. I found the local sailplane club (in Omaha, actually) is really affordable, though. $100 a year plus $35 a month dues, and they'll provide instruction. SWMBO vetoed it, but one of these years I'm just going to do it and let her scream.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #32
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
Flatterer, Flatterer.

The funny thing is that until I met my husband, most guys thought I was weird. My husband loves me because, in his words, "You're a guy but with t!ts." I know, that's not the most romantic thing but it's true. He says he's married to his best friend, but with sex. I think most guys would hate it, so I'm lucky to have him. I fix things around the house, brew, drink lots of beer, play hockey, love football and basketball, and canoe, fish and hunt. I cook sometimes (but not too often). He cooks, works fulltime, gardens, and does most of the laundry. He does ALL of the grocery shopping. He even does the coupon clipping.

I guess I'm VERY lucky to have HIM! And he is most appreciative of my "assets" that BOSTON referred to!

Lorena
Why don't you guys do a video diary and submit it to Discovery and/or the Outdoor channel? This cuts across all the stereotypes and I bet that everyone would watch. The HomeBrewTalk members alone would boost the ratings.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #33
drinker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
Besides home brewing ....

What are your other hobbies?
Reading, fly fishing and growing many vegetables and herbs

drinker

Old 12-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #34
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

I design, build and fly RC aircraft, though I haven't had much stick time AK (after kids), play golf, coach football, woodwork, and I'm restoring a '67 Firebird with my 10 year old who can't wait to get behind the wheel. I've had my eye on a 69 GTO for my youngest, but the owner won't sell (he's just letting it sit rotting away next to his barn!!!) "Honey, I know he's only 6, but this will be a "long term" project" Plus, I am building a home business since I left the corporate hell so I take care of the house, the kids and cook. I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #35
Petey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Used to toy with old VW's, but with the addition of another kid, i'm gonna be letting that one go and just doing more brewing. Other than that just running so that i can drink more beer.

Secondary# 1:
Secondary # 2:

On Tap:
Robust Porter
White IPA
Dry Irish Stout

Kegged & Waiting:

Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #36
snaproll

Recipes 

I fly radio controlled airplanes also, mostly the big ones ( over 6 or 7 ft wings)
I also like to fish in lake Erie and many inland lakes in Mich.
I also like to shoot my 9MM pistol when I can.
I write the Airplane club newsletter and am the secretary of the brew club.
and work full time, this all keeps me occupied.
Oh and brew whenever I get a chance.

Primary :Belgian Blonde
Secondary:Cider
Drinking on tap: , Vanilla Porter, and an American wheat ,Pale Ale
Next up: unknown

The only people that appear not to make mistakes, are the ones that do nothing, and that is the biggest mistake .

Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #37
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemonkey
Lucky.....I've wanted to fly my whole life. I found the local sailplane club (in Omaha, actually) is really affordable, though. $100 a year plus $35 a month dues, and they'll provide instruction. SWMBO vetoed it, but one of these years I'm just going to do it and let her scream.
You should DEFINITELY let her scream. I can't understand marriages where one partner would truly be upset if the other wanted to do something like that. I mean as long as you can afford it, and it doesn't hurt your relationship in any real way, she should just get over it. But what do I know? I'm single, so I'm allowed to think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
By designing do you mean your own design? Or building on another design? ... I would list flying as a hobby, but that seems more like a failed career choice.
I mean designing my own. I've been reading and studying aerodynamic texts for about 10 years now. I spent a number of years as an A&P. I had been building a experimental, but I lost interest once it was about 80% complete. I guess I just needed something a little different... so now I'm working on my own design. The test wing is about 50% built right now. It's just going to be used for "wind-tunnel tests" (bolted to the back of a pickup to test different flap configurations), and then I'm going to take molds from it for the final pieces. It's all being done on paper and carefully documented, but from the top of my head, here are the target specs...

Engine 60-80hp, under 120lbs
empty weight- 450lbs
gross weight- 700lbs
Length- 13'
airfoil- 63-215 with 32% noseflap and double slotted flaps and flaperons.
Wing Area- 34sq. ft.
Wingspan- 17'
Chord- 2'
cruise- 180kts
cruise@24Kasl- 250kts
stall- 36kts

In a nutshell, how small, light, and cheap can you make a fast airplane? I've got my eye set on the Hexadyne P60 motor (60hp, 2 cylinder, 4 stroke and an 89lbs weight). Of course, it'll be turbo-normalized. High wing-loading, and a ****-ton of flaps.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 12-10-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #38
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemonkey

Quote:
You should DEFINITELY let her scream. I can't understand marriages where one partner would truly be upset if the other wanted to do something like that. I mean as long as you can afford it, and it doesn't hurt your relationship in any real way, she should just get over it. But what do I know? I'm single, so I'm allowed to think that way.

I must be lucky, too. My wife is the one that pushed me into flying (homebrewing too, for that matter) because she knew I wanted to. Then after my problems with my eye she pushed me again to get back into it because she knew I missed it even though I was willing to chuck it. It's a good thing, too, because my son is always telling me how much he misses flying with me. Yup- I'm pretty lucky.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #39
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I play Tennis (duh) and Ive recently formed a surf band (The Cachalots) and we'll be playing shows in and around Virginia Beach this summer for anyone interested.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #40
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

Quote:
Engine 60-80hp, under 120lbs
empty weight- 450lbs
gross weight- 700lbs
Length- 13'
airfoil- 63-215 with 32% noseflap and double slotted flaps and flaperons.
Wing Area- 34sq. ft.
Wingspan- 17'
Chord- 2'
cruise- 180kts
cruise@24Kasl- 250kts
stall- 36kts

In a nutshell, how small, light, and cheap can you make a fast airplane? I've got my eye set on the Hexadyne P60 motor (60hp, 2 cylinder, 4 stroke and an 89lbs weight). Of course, it'll be turbo-normalized. High wing-loading, and a ****-ton of flaps.
This looks sweet. Post some pics or drawings of the wing design when you have time. I'd love to see that. Many, many years ago, one of the guys in the club I used to fly with designed an experimental with a front opening flap on the front of the wings. Most guys bet that when he deployed, it would fly underground. It had an amazing lift characteristic, but the drag was real high and made it unstable at lower speeds in wind. Cool experiment though.

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply